Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

I am happy with the infrastructure and services in plano Texas area. Life is good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
nope

Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'd just like to remind folk that we are not young people. And yet, here we are. We all have water and food and roads and...internet!

I think we are all living proof that when things really matter, and need to get fixed - they do.

For me, I'm not going to worry about water, until it no longer comes out of the faucet. I'm not going to worry about anything until I have to. And if that ever happens, then I'll deal with it.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to focus on something more pleasant. For instance, today was about the most perfect day you could get. It was sunny and about 70 degrees with just a slight breeze. It was so perfect, it was almost scary.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's your job to make it an issue.
Our town rammed through the multi-gillion dollar library with a barely unpublicized "town vote" on a Friday night. The special interest group knew it was in the bag. I'm not against libraries. I love them and have worked for them. However, the old library was in a location easily accessed by families, students, and elderly. Now there is no public transport to to it, it's in a remote part of town, it's ugly as can be, and is vastly understocked. But hey, they got the brand new building with their names on the plaques.

They promised our tax bill increase would be minuscule. It is not.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We have water issues in my small town, but I've learned to live with it.

We were without water for 2-3 days. They did bring in water trucks and bottled water. They managed a fix in record time. It was amazing what they did. We were not the only ones. Several areas in Texas were going through the same thing. We were in a drought and the pumps were working extra hard.

Anyway, since then I keep gallons of water on hand, and baby wipes in case we need to do a camping bath! We drink bottle water anyway, so always have a supply of that on hand.
you drink bottled water? Like always, as your main source of water?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Unless you live off the grid somewhere (in which you wouldn't be worrying about public services too much anyhow) I don't see there being anything to worry about.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:21 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I have a few friends who have 5 gallon "Water cooler" type bottled water in there homes.

~99% of the water used in a home is not used for drinking / cooking. "Tap" water is fine for wash, dishes, showers etc.

So a 5 Gallon will last a few days if you just use it for drinking.

If the Water System goes out, Bottled water will work for a few days till water supply is fixed.

My local water authority drops a box of 6, 1 gallon jugs of water at every house in the event of a water main break. With more @ the local fire house if you need more. The Local Y, Health Clubs, and the middle/HS out side of the break zone, will be open'ed for showers etc, Port-a-John are brought in to some area also.

I've seen National Guard water trailers, for people to get lots of non/potable water for toilet fill/flush's. Set up in the Fire Dept Parking lot.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I avoid bottled water, as I once read 70% of bottled water is untested.

One of my patients, at work, as a school project, tested some bottled water and tap water, and the tap water was rated higher than the bottled water.

Now I'm sure some tap water, in various parts of the country, is much safer than others, where bottled water might be safer in other areas of the country. If I were in a rural area of Iowa, with all those chemical fertilizers seeping into the water, I wouldn't touch it.

I live here in Las Vegas, and for 19 years, I've only drank tap water, which outrages any number of people who live here, making claims that with the Atomic Bomb testing north of town, some of that plutonium is in the water.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I avoid bottled water, as I once read 70% of bottled water is untested.
At my summer house that has town water, I have a good 3M filter under the kitchen sink that filters the water feed to my fridge and a dedicated faucet at the sink I use for coffee/tea and cooking. If I had young children in the house, I'd spring for a reverse osmosis system. For me, I'm fine with a system that gets 99% of the chlorine out and 99%+ of the toxic stuff like lead, mercury, asbestos, and MTBE.

If I'm on expense report on a business trip, I buy Fiji water. I like the taste. I hate the cheap mass market bottled water that is merely lightly filtered city water. Compared to my filter system at home that produces very good tasting water, brands like Aquafina (Pepsi) are awful.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
...If the Water System goes out, Bottled water will work for a few days till water supply is fixed.

My local water authority drops a box of 6, 1 gallon jugs of water at every house in the event of a water main break. With more @ the local fire house if you need more. The Local Y, Health Clubs, and the middle/HS out side of the break zone, will be open'ed for showers etc, Port-a-John are brought in to some area also.

I've seen National Guard water trailers, for people to get lots of non/potable water for toilet fill/flush's. Set up in the Fire Dept Parking lot.
People in New Orleans relied on government to help them after Hurricane Katrina. They were forced at gunpoint to abandon pets. Their own guns were confiscated. People were stuffed into a stadium to die. Gangs took over the city.

However, the rural areas outside the city experienced no problems of this sort although they suffered as much damage.

In NYC during a snowstorm people died with no ambulance service.

An insignificant rain storm in NYC brought the city to its knees. People who had brought generators from outside areas to sell were attacked. People who had generators and charged a dollar for a cell phone garge were attacked. Complicated infrastructure and services provide a breeding ground for savages.

And remember the blackouts in NYC.

It's amusing that people squeal and scream about their wonderful infrastructure. They live on the brink of the abyss.

In an emergency people are on their own. In reality, they're always on their own.

Now let's imagine a few suitcase nukes. That's very possible. Let's also consider race war. That continually looks more likely. How many people would like to be in their precious cities for these? I'll take my situation where I couldn't get to a hospital by ambulance within an hour. So far, hower, it's never mattered because I've never needed an ambulance. I may never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement