Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

A thought for all not yet retiring but considering it. Yes retirement means leaving work and giving up all of that you now feel unappealing. Yes retirement offers a wonderful sense of freedom, however it is obvious from a number of threads and postings currently in the forum that the following reminder might be helpful:

When you retire you are giving up all possible raises, bonuses, promotions, new jobs etc etc. You are giving up all of the work based salary increases you have enjoyed over the years. From that point on any increase in income will be from SS and possibly pension COLA's. In this current environment they will not be large and your income very easily can and will stagnate unless you have also built in personal retirement income vehicles. Age 62-92 can be a very long time financially if all you are depending on is a predetermined CPI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Well unless I get involuntarily early retired, my time frame is going to be at least 10 years less than what you represented here. It is what it is.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When you retire you are giving up all possible raises, bonuses, promotions, new jobs etc etc. You are giving up all of the work based salary increases you have enjoyed over the years.
Assuming, of course, that you are (or will be) getting salary raises, bonuses or promotions. In private sector engineering, those were all absolutely wiped out the last, say 8 years of the spouse's job. The only way to get those now is to change company.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:26 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Quote:
A thought for all not yet retiring but considering it. Yes retirement means leaving work and giving up all of that you now feel unappealing. Yes retirement offers a wonderful sense of freedom, however it is obvious from a number of threads and postings currently in the forum that the following reminder might be helpful:

When you retire you are giving up all possible raises, bonuses, promotions, new jobs etc etc. You are giving up all of the work based salary increases you have enjoyed over the years. From that point on any increase in income will be from SS and possibly pension COLA's. In this current environment they will not be large and your income very easily can and will stagnate unless you have also built in personal retirement income vehicles. Age 62-92 can be a very long time financially if all you are depending on is a predetermined CPI.

And the pay increases are wiped out and then some by rising health care insurance premiums.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Assuming, of course, that you are (or will be) getting salary raises, bonuses or promotions. In private sector engineering, those were all absolutely wiped out the last, say 8 years of the spouse's job. The only way to get those now is to change company.
Thats why I said new jobs

Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
And the pay increases are wiped out and then some by rising health care insurance premiums.
I have a friend who retired earlier than fully vested with a pension and tried a couple of years for SS disability and finally got it close to 62. His finances are miserable. His wife still works etc etc. He keeps talking like he expects or entitled to a raise from somewhere because he needs money. As a substitute he is looking for someone to sue. Thats another story and topic.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:

TuborgP, I think you must be having a bad day.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend a while back. We were talking about how we missed the interest we use to collect, and then we got to thinking about how awful it must be for people who had expected to live off their interest It seemed, at the time, much worse for them than for us...... "us" being two little old ladies who live off our fixed incomes with an occasional dip into savings.

I am constantly figuring on how to make my money stretch. Not because I don't have enough but because it is a life long habit. I enjoy it. Life is still filled with possibility and the chance to move ahead. Or sideways. Its not so grim as your post suggests.

or perhaps I am reading you wrong.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
newcomputer, I agree!

Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:

But what if you never made it a habit of spending up to all those bonuses and pay increases? Isn't that living paycheck to paycheck in a way?

Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
TuborgP, I think you must be having a bad day.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having with a friend a while back. We were talking about how we missed the interest we use to collect, and then we got to thinking about how awful it must be for people who had expected to live off their interest It seemed, at the time, much worse for them than for us...... "us" being two little old ladies who live off our fixed incomes with an occasional dip into savings.

I am constantly figuring on how to make my money stretch. Not because I don't have enough but because it is a life long habit. I enjoy it. Life is still filled with possibility and the chance to move ahead. Or sideways. Its not so grim as your post suggests.

or perhaps I am reading you wrong.
I am not having a bad day, my comments are in reaction to all of the posts about no SS Cola increase, especially by folks who may have taken it at 62 with little or no other source of income. There are many threads about when to take SS. Most of them absent conversation on COLA and how your benefit grows in subsequent years. Waiting not only gives you more but increases your compounding power which for some appears to be very critical for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement