Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:23 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times

Advertisements

Teachers retired in droves when Scott Walker looked at changing the pension system and retirement benefits in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin lost a huge amount of excellent teachers.

Lost my sister who was a public health nurse. She saw the writing on the wall and got out before the damage was done.

Wisconsin was the loser and continues to be under that administration.

My government job is not a "cush" job. When I was looking for work they told me they had almost given up - no one wanted the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 AM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When you work in the public sector, you see the same thing with pensions. There are some people who just can't wait to get their hands on that pension as soon as they're eligible even if they'll be penalized for being under a certain age, even if they'll be penalized for having less than x years in the system, even if the pension is a pittance because of their lack of time in the system and the penalties. It doesn't matter that they're unlikely to find another job with equivalent pay and benefits. They're out the door.

No plan, no alternatives, nothing. It's just, "I'm eligible, so I'm going." You'd think that somebody so anxious to leave a job would have something else he/she wanted to do but nope, it's just get out. Now. And many of these people are not blue-collar types but white collar professionals, from teachers to program directors to computer programmers, who you would think could make rational decisions.
That describes me pretty closely. Had had enough with State government and the chance to get out, even at 48, was too much for me to resist. 50% of my pay (but with health benefits) was a pretty big cut and I under-budgeted what my "retirement" would cost me (as I was biased towards leaving, I wasn't conservative enough with my calculations). I certainly planned to work again, maybe part-time, to supplement but the "early-out" came up quickly and with a short window to elect it so having a job right off the bat wasn't reasonable. Already had a healthy 401K to back me up, just in case, which helped. Found a job I really enjoy and now my retirement plans are open-ended (I'm 53 now).

Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have never met anybody who "worked" in the Public sector who was genuinely enthusiastic about his job.

The most common response is that they tolerate it because of the benefits and job security. Most of them dread Mondays.

What a waste of a career.
Again, that was me. Yes, Mondays were a drag! Not a complete waste of 25 years but glad I got out when I could.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
One of my biggest regret is not trying hard enough to become a public worker. Most public jobs are very generous in terms of pension and benefits. One of the easiest jobs around. Depending on the job, you are barely working.
err...ummm...some of us are focused on interesting problems that require solution, thereby increasing our levels of knowledge and capability in the process - rather than how little work we can get away with, while still getting paid.

The "problem-solving" mindset is also what those in corporate control relate to. Along the way, you build a resume out of the world-stage problems to whose solution you have contributed.

I have observed that the "problem-solving" mindset pays more than unemployment insurance, SS or pension plans. It's a permanent fixture in your history. Nobody can ever take it away from you.

I have a real aversion to attitudes that describe a bunch of cows farting and feeding at pasture for eight hours a day.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
I say retire when you financially can. When I say retire I say be at a position to work when you want where you want. Some people do like their employment so do it as long as you can but understand life's finances. Plan ahead.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Well I can tell you after 35 years of teaching in Florida. While I job teaching the kids everything else that has been thrown at teachers to do. Paperwork,can lessons towards test, job evaluations that have nothing to do with teaching plus the continuous barrage on how bad teachers are, the state is losing quality teachers in drove. The young good ones find other jobs elsewhere, the older ones as myself are on the way out.
Recently the state can't find replacements in fields like math and science and is begging the older ones to stay on.
If you think teaching is a cushy job go right ahead and take one. I will be retiring at 62 because the stress and the effects is having on me are not worth trying to make it to 70.
This country's attack on teachers and public education is going to have major adverse effects in the near future.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
Who are these employers who are letting people work until 65-70?

Who are these employers that are hiring people in their mid 50s and older with attractive salaries and benefits?

Also, when you lose your job unexpectedly your 50s due to illness, restructuring, lay-off, etc; sometimes the decision to retire early is made for you.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:14 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i can tell you who they are but i don't think it will do you any good unless you are in long island , or jersey . my old company hires senior employees all the time because it is hard to find youngins with experience and a customer following .

Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
My federal agency allows employees to work as long as they want and is willing to hire older, experienced subject matter experts. The benefits are relatively good but the pay will be less than what the employee made in industry or as a government contractor. However if the employee can work until age 62 with at least 5 years of service, they are eligible for health insurance in retirement and a pension.

At the start of the recession, we hired 5 older employees or about 15% of our office at the top of the payscale which meant limited salary increases although there was a provision for an extra bonus of a few thousand a year. After about 5 years most were grumbling about their pay but stuck it out to age 62. However, my agency is not interested in hiring managers from the outside, only those with specialized technical expertise. With the economy improving, we are no longer able to attract these experts.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I too say Retire when you financially can. Give the younger people more spots to find their way with jobs. I hear so many coming out of college and not being able to find adequate work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement