U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,902,046 times

Advertisements

I retired at age 61, but my dh said he never plans to retire. He has a job from home working 4 days a week for ten hours a day. This leaves 3 days off and we do what we want those three days. He has applied for SS but we will probably be paying everything he gets back to the government for taxes. We don't mind that. He says he loves his job and does not know what he would do besides watch TV if he was not doing it. I think working keeps him young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
My husband retired two years ago at the age of 67..He had a management job and was forced into retirement Seems that todays executive has to be in mid thirties, and power hungry, so he just outgrew them..

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,703,964 times
Smile How true your words are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Even just a few years ago, I would not have been able to predict how it feels to have your body start to wear down. I could not have predicted how much I really like not having a schedule anymore, how much I value peace and quiet now. It's like asking a 12 year old to predict how it will feel to be 17. She can guess some of it, but a 12 year old really has no idea how it feels to be a teenager.
Your words are so true. I remember when I was 12, I wrote the saddest poem about becoming 13 and leaving childhood behind. I still have the poem. No one had prepared me for the positive things that can happen in life. I was a little too sensitive for my parents, I'm afraid.

I think sometimes if you have to work, like in my case, I still have to support my sweet mother financially - 87 years old. My sisters do meals for her but my brother and I take care of the finances for her b/c she has nothing. So, with that over my head, I can't even think of stopping.

I'm been told I come from a family of long livers!!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,703,964 times
Smile Working till 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Will you will work F/T to age 66 or that is too long. I am scared to work to F/T to age 66 because life is a crap shoot.
Yes, I think 66 at least. I mean look at John McCain!!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,287,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

62 is old, my friends. In some ways it feels young, and I still do a lot of activities. But when I want to, if I want to, and at my own pace!

Even just a few years ago, I would not have been able to predict how it feels to have your body start to wear down. I could not have predicted how much I really like not having a schedule anymore, how much I value peace and quiet now. It's like asking a 12 year old to predict how it will feel to be 17. She can guess some of it, but a 12 year old really has no idea how it feels to be a teenager.
One of the most frustrating things for me is remembering just what I was capable of, 30 years ago - I had a team of huskies and lived on a semi-homestead in Alaska. It was a mile from the house to where the cars were parked. But - boyoboy, when it all starts to fall apart, it's like trying to prop up a really long stack of dominoes that branches all over the place. Even more frustrating is trying to convince some bureaucrat that you really can't do what you used to - they have no frame of reference.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 AM

8 posts, read 17,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Yes, I think 66 at least. I mean look at John McCain!!
Oh, no, please don't make me look at John McCain - have already seen more than enough!

Don't know how I'll make it financially retiring at 62 or even 66, but am gonna do me durndest! Work doesn't define me and the less stress and more time to enjoy other types of "work," the better.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,798,498 times
Yeah I'll probably work that long and then some. I might even go to age 70.

Technically I'll be able to retire by then but, I want a better than average comfortable lifestyle and don't want to have to worry that much about money.

So, for me, that means working longer.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,450,836 times
My father and grandfather worked to 82, and both were sharp as tacks till then. I think working keeps you younger in the sense you stay sharp. I could retire now...but, being single, to do what? Sit and play cards...bleeech! No, I want to go back to work when I am thru eldercaring here.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 AM

259 posts, read 1,183,463 times
First, it is all about the money, second, it is all about you, the individual.

On one hand, I have the "rule of thumb" money pot already saved (My DB plan is minimal), but do I really know what health care, long term care and my other costs/obligations are going to be in 20 years (I'm 55)? I was raised by depression-raised parents and you just get it in your head that you never know if you really have all the bases covered.

On the other hand, I experimented with "retirement" for awhile when I qualified for one early retirement plan at 47. I found out that after a month or so of getting up at the crack of noon, playing golf and putzing around the house, I was actually getting irritable.

For me, hitting the shower at 6:30 and hitting the challenges of work at 8 starts my day the way I like it. Some long weekends and a couple of vacation getaways may just suffice for me for the rest of my days.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
speaking about working-------A Minneapolis TV station is taping a segment about a radio broadcaster who works at a stion 12 miles from me in rural Minnesota.

He has been at the station since 1952 ( 56 years on the job) and works full time. He arrives at the station about 4:30 in the morning-----goes over the news,gets everything set up--------then goes on air at 6:AM.

He leaves around noon. Although I would never want to work that long, he is a true professional in the farm broadcasting field and highly respected by everyone

He is in good financial shape also, but always tells the following jole---"when I came here 56 years ago, I planned to stay only long enough to save enough money to move on"-------"this station never paid me enough to acquire the money to move on"

He is a legend in radio, a remarkable man, and will be missed when he no longer starts the day off for the radio station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or