Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have no idea what this says.
Follow your course leaves nothing et les nations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:44 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have no idea what this says.
“Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir les genti
(Follow your road and let the people say)”
Dante

Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
What is it the airline staff say in the safety messages before the flight takes off? If you need oxygen, fit the mask over your face first and only then assist your children/others. In other words, you need to save yourself first or you won't be able to help anyone else.
^^^^ very very true.... Everyone seems to think other people are beholden to help them. For example, give your money to the poor but you don't have savings to take care of yourselves when you become unable to work.

Example two... Well deserved and needed downtime. My SIL, a taker, car broke down, my DH volunteered to fix it to save her money. He worked both of his days off on her car, day 2 she called and let him have it for not having it fixed. He was furious but handled it quietly. He said that was it, if she has car trouble she can pay to have it fixed. That was oh about 15 years ago. LOL, guess who broke down this past weekend. Nope, DH isn't going to help her. Ungrateful B, she's on her own now.

We've learned that this side of the family always expects so we've positioned ourselves so they don't ask us. The taking would never end and we need to take care of ourselves first.

Last edited by petch751; 10-19-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We've learned that this side of the family always expects so we've positioned ourselves so they don't ask us. The taking would never end and we need to take care of ourselves first.
There's always at least one in the family. Ours is also a SIL. She owns 2 houses, one in a very expensive neighborhood. When the other house had foundation issues, she asked us for a $10K loan as all of her money was "tied up". My DH told her to get a loan from the bank and he would pay the interest. Never heard from her again. We realized she never intended to pay us back.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:03 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
I have learned not to worry about what others think a long time ago. A similar saying to

“Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir les genti
(Follow your road and let the people say)”

is "March to the beat of your own drum". If you are happy with yourself, this is all what matters.

Last edited by BellaDL; 10-19-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Ever since childhood (to the limited extent permitted to me then) I have marched to my own drummer, but that does not mean that I practiced being different for its own sake. There is nothing wrong per se with following some traditional practices, be it with a hair style, style of dress, or other.

Although I don't particularly care what others think, I do care to some extent. For example, I don't go out in public with underarm odor - in that instance I do care even what the checker at the grocery store thinks. Thus I am a conformist with regard to showering and underarm deodorant, and I make no apology for that.

There is no virtue per se in being a non-conformist, although there may be virtue in it in certain situations and contexts. In the 1950's to be a non-smoker was almost to be a non-conformist, and there was certainly virtue in that.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I care what *some* other people think. If someone is a true expert in their field, I'll listen to them. But in general I couldn't care less what the hoi-polloi think, if it's reasonable to consider their opinions to be the product of thought at all.

I'm trying to come up with a consistent approach that does embrace ER's point about smelling clean in public. I respect this too, and I try to be appropriately dressed for business and social events, partly because if I didn't care what the other attendees thought about me, I probably wouldn't attend.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I strive to be considerate and not to offend or stand out in a crowd as a visible non-conformist but that has as much to do with not wishing to make a spectacle of myself as anything else. To that end I keep myself clean, well groomed and dressed appropriately for my age and the occasion. What others may think of me regardless I couldn't care less. I don't wish to embarrass my wife, my children, my friends or myself.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
There's always at least one in the family. Ours is also a SIL. She owns 2 houses, one in a very expensive neighborhood. When the other house had foundation issues, she asked us for a $10K loan as all of her money was "tied up". My DH told her to get a loan from the bank and he would pay the interest. Never heard from her again. We realized she never intended to pay us back.
A very good decision for you and your husband.

Yes there are always at least one in the family. My BIL lived with his mother and dad all his life then retired. His mother passed away and father is not doing so well. What does BIL do? He moves 2 1/2 hours away. Guess who's still in town to take FIL to the doctors and other places he needs to go? Us of course, and we never took a dime from them.

It gets worse. When MIL died, FIL got insurance money. The other BIL's kids kept calling and asking him to buy them things. My niece got a car, nephew got a computer, other niece got an iPad. Then FIL calls DH asking for money to pay for the tombstone. That's when he admitted to spending the remaining insurance money on the grandkids. The parents trained the kids their way of thinking.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:08 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Every one judges based on their own history. It's all we have to go on. 'I'm cold so I'd better make my child wear a sweater'. This is true whether it's about lifestyle, hairdos, or whatever. If you judge me critically, then you are showing me who you are. Get that, hair nazis? (another thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement