Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times

Advertisements

What about guys that color their hair jet black?

There was a reporter on a major network that finally quit doing that and just let it go. Can't remember his name.

my brother does this and he won't quit - lol. Looks ridiculous. Even gets his eyebrows and moustache done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I've always envied people who could wear ponytails. My hair is so curly and full of cowlicks I never could carry one off. But on the other hand, wearing it short, all I have to do is wash it, fluff it up in a towel and voila! instant nice hairdo.

It just makes sense for everyone to follow the way their hair is easiest to deal with and looks the best rather than following some silly image of how others think it should be.
When you're a 24/7 caregiver, you don't think or care much whether or not the easiest hairstyle is also the most flattering look for you...

Old 11-17-2017, 10:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Years ago my daughter, about three years old, started criticizing a trucker eating in a truck stop because he had his hair in braids. She wouldn't shut up and was convinced that there was something inherently wrong with the guy. We were close enough -- and she was loud enough -- that he could hear her, and us trying to make her quiet down. He was a big guy, minding his own business but my three-year-old thought it was appropriate to get worked up about his hair. I don't know where she got the notion that he was breaking some sort of rule. We ate quickly and moved on.

Three-year-olds see things in black or white -- there are rules about such things. Most of us have outgrown that stage and realize that there is a wide range of possibilities when personal choices are being made. Some of us are stuck in the three-year-old stage. We don't have to like what other people choose to do in this realm of appearance or fashion but it isn't our place to judge or shame people. All of us have probably gone out of the house looking like a fool or worse. I chuckle at those videos of folks in Walmart but have looked just as bad on occasion. Hair grows back but judgmental attitudes seem to last forever.
That's a great story about your daughter. My sister had a similar situation with my niece when she was around that age. The first time my niece saw a Black man she pointed and laughed at him and made some comments about "the funny looking man."

My sister and BIL were mortified. They apologized to the man but never really know what he thought about it. My niece had never heard any kind of bad mouthing other types of people at home. They didn't know where this was coming from other than her surprise at seeing someone so different for the first time ever. They explained to her after they got home that it was wrong to laugh at others who are different than you and why.

What you said about little kids seeing things in black and white, no pun intended here, is so true. All she saw was something unfamiliar and different didn't understand why. Her reaction was childlike. The different appearance of the man, unfortunately, just struck her as funny and being a little kid, she didn't know enough not to express her reaction.

You are so right about the comparison between a childish observation and an adult rush to judgement. It's one thing to be attracted to others for whatever physical ideals that appeal to the individual but it's quite another to expect the rest of the world to conform to those ideals.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That's a great story about your daughter. My sister had a similar situation with my niece when she was around that age. The first time my niece saw a Black man she pointed and laughed at him and made some comments about "the funny looking man."

My sister and BIL were mortified. They apologized to the man but never really know what he thought about it. My niece had never heard any kind of bad mouthing other types of people at home. They didn't know where this was coming from other than her surprise at seeing someone so different for the first time ever. They explained to her after they got home that it was wrong to laugh at others who are different than you and why.

What you said about little kids seeing things in black and white, no pun intended here, is so true. All she saw was something unfamiliar and different didn't understand why. Her reaction was childlike. The different appearance of the man, unfortunately, just struck her as funny and being a little kid, she didn't know enough not to express her reaction.

You are so right about the comparison between a childish observation and an adult rush to judgement. It's one thing to be attracted to others for whatever physical ideals that appeal to the individual but it's quite another to expect the rest of the world to conform to those ideals.
One of my other spouses was from Iowa. When his very young niece first saw me, she just stared. Stood right next to me. Finally she asked if she could touch my hair. It was long and black and wavy - not long, blond and straight. I didn't mind. She had probably never been so close up to someone that looked like me (Mexican-American). I'm sure there were some there in the area, but not ever close enough to touch?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Trying to keep up a hairdo just for the style can be very expensive if it's not one that you can easily do yourself. I remember my ex had a huge crush on Mary Tyler Moore when the Dick VanDyke show was on. He told me he wanted me to wear my hair like Mary's.

I told him fine, if he wanted to pay for weekly beauty parlor trips where they would tease and shellac my hair and do whatever monumental things it would take to get my hair to look like hers fine, because I am quite certain she has professional hairdressers to give her that style whatever type hair she has.

He quit asking.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,673 times
I think a short cut, as opposed to long hair makes a woman look more vibrant, along with a
younger look, remember Mrs. Clinton when she was a White House staffer with long hair, looking so frumpy, and when campaigning she cut her hair, a more vibrant, confident woman was on the scene, I’m sure a lot of couching was in the mix, but nonetheless, the look was positive.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
What about guys that color their hair jet black?

There was a reporter on a major network that finally quit doing that and just let it go. Can't remember his name.

my brother does this and he won't quit - lol. Looks ridiculous. Even gets his eyebrows and moustache done.
Howard Fineman on MSNBC

Old 11-17-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One of my other spouses was from Iowa. When his very young niece first saw me, she just stared. Stood right next to me. Finally she asked if she could touch my hair. It was long and black and wavy - not long, blond and straight. I didn't mind. She had probably never been so close up to someone that looked like me (Mexican-American). I'm sure there were some there in the area, but not ever close enough to touch?
LOL! I had a co-worker as me if she could touch my hair because she had never seen texture like it before. She wanted to see if it felt like "wires" because it was curly. I said okay and she told me she was surprised at how soft it was. I had it a bit longer than usual in those days and when my hair is longer it is more frizzy than when it's short. She expected it to feel like wires.

BTW, she was from Mexico. Her hair was straight, black, thick and gorgeous. If I had hair like that I would be wearing it down to my waist which she almost was.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Howard Fineman on MSNBC
YES! That is the one!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
LOL! I had a co-worker as me if she could touch my hair because she had never seen texture like it before. She wanted to see if it felt like "wires" because it was curly. I said okay and she told me she was surprised at how soft it was. I had it a bit longer than usual in those days and when my hair is longer it is more frizzy than when it's short. She expected it to feel like wires.

BTW, she was from Mexico. Her hair was straight, black, thick and gorgeous. If I had hair like that I would be wearing it down to my waist which she almost was.
I remember my hair was long and straight and then I hit puberty. The texture went crazy.

Now I do have straight hair but it is thanks to my flat iron and CHI styling product! A couple of my sisters have curly hair that looks great naturally, mine is in between - a big pouf ball if I let it go wild. A slight wave is all I could manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement