Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
There is nothing uglier than old, brittle hair..looks like a witch and it happens when we all age. I am only in my 40s and have short hair..it's more professional and looks chic, people tell me.
My hair is baby fine. It always has been but its more so now. It looks like there's little hair unless its a darker color. It's version of 'thick' is more or less what most would call thin. I've seldom gotten it below my shoulders and still trimming outpaces growth. But I started using henna. It actually strengthens the hair, and makes it stronger. And I love henna red tamed with a little dark brown henna. And no sting or smell.

But I've settled on about shoulder length, with the dark red. If it gets too long it looks thinner, and just past the shoulder works for me. Most important is the henna since its such a noticable color.

Standard hair dye does a good job at colors, but the hair is so brittle it breaks off with other than henna.
Henna can be messy, but if your hair is thinner or breakable, it does make it stronger and you can use the colorless type inbetween to add to the protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Combover works for POTUS except when he gets off Marine One.
It actually moves with the wind? Maybe he needs more shellacking.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
The women in my family have a history of having big hair from cradle to grave. Who am I to break with tradition. We like to put our hair up, way up.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Declining estrogen levels.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The women in my family have a history of having big hair from cradle to grave. Who am I to break with tradition. We like to put our hair up, way up.
Let me guess...you're from Texas?

Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM

11,122 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
As they say in the south, "the higher the hair, the closer to God."

Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
About a dozen years ago my health issues were, and still are very hard to deal with, and my long hair took too much energy of which I had very little. So I went for a super short cut. Had it all whacked off. The very first time my young grandson saw me he exclaimed "Grandma, you look just like a man!". Leave it to a child to say just what they mean, no holding back lol. So at that very moment I started to grow it out again. I need all the help I can get. At almost 70 it's halfway down my back, and I don't give a hairy rat's behind if anybody likes it, or not. Too bad, so sad.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
About a dozen years ago my health issues were, and still are very hard to deal with, and my long hair took too much energy of which I had very little. So I went for a super short cut. Had it all whacked off. The very first time my young grandson saw me he exclaimed "Grandma, you look just like a man!". Leave it to a child to say just what they mean, no holding back lol. So at that very moment I started to grow it out again. I need all the help I can get. At almost 70 it's halfway down my back, and I don't give a hairy rat's behind if anybody likes it, or not. Too bad, so sad.
But the fact is you DO care. It's just a matter of caring who cares...you care what your grandson said even though he was only mouthing what he has learned from the culture around him...not some innate wisdom. Either your energy came back so now you have some to spare on your hair or you're suddenly willing to do the work regardless of how you feel. But make no mistake - you really care...a lot.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But the fact is you DO care. It's just a matter of caring who cares...you care what your grandson said even though he was only mouthing what he has learned from the culture around him...not some innate wisdom. Either your energy came back so now you have some to spare on your hair or you're suddenly willing to do the work regardless of how you feel. But make no mistake - you really care...a lot.
I meant that towards those that think long hair on older women is not attractive. The one poster who said something like they looked like a faded hippy. His opinion will not stop me from doing what pleases me. Those are the ones that I don't care what they think. I think long hair on older women is gorgeous. And long gray/silver hair even more beautiful. We earned every silver hair on our heads whether long, or short. And I still have fibro/cfs, have had for over 20 yrs.

If anyone is old enough to remember the old Art Linkletter show called "Kids say the darndest things" will know what I'm talking about. Children are unabashedly honest, and do have an innate wisdom. He told it the way it was, and it's just what I needed to hear. And it was pretty funny to me.

Yes I did care what my grandson said because he was right. Not everyone looks good with ultra short hair. It looked cute on the model in the magazine, but not on me, not by a long shot . I don't have the right shaped face. So I learned something important about myself that day, what works, and what doesn't. Thank you Zac .

Found the Art Linkletter video clips on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...arndest+things

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-24-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 03:17 AM

104 posts, read 96,722 times
Younger women get flak when they cut their hair short, too. As if women's bodies are public property and total strangers should have any say in what they do with their own heads.

People can be amazingly judgmental about women who don't perform femininity as society demands. Those people need to learn to mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement