Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Looks a heck of a lot better than some 60 year old woman who wears her grey/white hair the same length as if she were 25-30.

I think such---long, grey/white hair on someone 60+, is pathetic. It looks like they don't know they have aged, and are trying to still live in their youth. There's no rules about what styles for what age, but in general go with where you're at. In my youth, I had long, very beautiful hair. It was brown with hints of red and gold, and just fell into its own style. Alas, that young lady is no more. My hair is now naturally white, grey, and dull brown, no longer the glory of my youth. Also, the texture has gone from heavy, silky, to thin, dry......well, it looks fine if kept trimmed, colored, conditioned, etc and a shorter style just works better. Also, when women get older, their faces "sag", some a little, some a lot. Long hair draws the eye downward and accentuates the downward lines. Shorter hair pulls the eye up giving an illusion of vitality, instead of a worn-out look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I think such---long, grey/white hair on someone 60+, is pathetic. It looks like they don't know they have aged, and are trying to still live in their youth. There's no rules about what styles for what age, but in general go with where you're at. In my youth, I had long, very beautiful hair. It was brown with hints of red and gold, and just fell into its own style. Alas, that young lady is no more. My hair is now naturally white, grey, and dull brown, no longer the glory of my youth. Also, the texture has gone from heavy, silky, to thin, dry......well, it looks fine if kept trimmed, colored, conditioned, etc and a shorter style just works better. Also, when women get older, their faces "sag", some a little, some a lot. Long hair draws the eye downward and accentuates the downward lines. Shorter hair pulls the eye up giving an illusion of vitality, instead of a worn-out look.
Guess you better call and inform the entire country of India that their respected elderly look like pathetic hags.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You don't have to "get it." How women cut their hair is none of your business. I assume women that you see with short, short hair are pleasing themselves. At our age, it is about time we do so, after a lifetime of trying to please others. (At least some of us.)

I rather like the short do's accessorized with large earrings and perhaps bright lipstick. I wish I could do it myself. (My hair is too thin now. Super short makes me look bald!) I guess I should rephrase the previous statement to, " I wish I liked the way I would look if I got a supershort haircut." I could do it, but I don't want to. But I do admire others who do.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I don't get it either. I have seen women who were not quite senior (40s 50s 60s) with virtual crew cuts. I am not talking about a cute pixie cut on a woman with delicate features and a very pretty face. I mean average and plain women who seem to hack their hair off.

Also, women in the same age group who cut and perm their hair in this fuzzy bubble held with hair spray around their heads. My mother used to do that in her 70s until my wife convinced her to let it grow into a straight chin length bob.

I also see women with shaved pointed sideburns. To me, it's a very harsh and masculine look.
Obviously, I am not talking about women with a disease.

Between scraggly long and convict short, there has to be a happy medium, IMHO.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
I would get a buzz cut if I didn't have a big lumpy head.

phrenologists love me.

Is the maintenance of women's hair an issue? Yes, I wish I had the money and time I have spent on mine over a lifetime. Imagine a life without worrying about how your hair looks.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
We woke up one day and said, "Why do men get the easy haircuts and the comfortable shoes?"

Then we said, "I don't care if anyone thinks I look sexy anymore! I want quick grooming and comfort, too! Beauty be damned! It's too much work and it hurts!"

Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 AM

225 posts, read 395,052 times
Quote:
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
I have also cut off most of my hair. Women, like me, do suffer from pattern baldness and thinning just like men do and sometimes the only solution is to cut it off. Some women then wear wigs or scarves or just like the look and go au natural.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
I'm glad I read this thread today. i have an appointment at the hairdressers tomorrow, and I was going to make the decision about the cut based on what I like, what suits my face and my hair, and how much time I have to maintain it. What an awful mistake, when I should have been asking the OP's permission and advice.

OP, what cut should I get? Also, I often wear men's clothes (trousers, boots) and engage in men's activities (driving, taking out the trash). I'm sorry. I'll stop immediately. But you need to stop wearing women's clothes (coats, clothes with buttons), and doing women's activities (showering, shaving).

Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Easily one of best personal things I ever did was cut off much of my hair. Given that I was always pinning it up a lot it made sense for me. Plus I just got sick of it lying on my neck. Very irritating. And in the summer it just made humid summers worse where I didn't want much of anything making more uncomfortable.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
These posts where we opine about another woman's looks are pathetic. Yes, our way is the right way, yes we were all cute as buttons in our youth... and then in an other post we whine about how we can't make friends at this age! Really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement