Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You aren't sure? Since you live in California that's surprising...Property isn't reappraised until it's transferred, so in 20 years your property tax should be the same as it is now
I am in CA too. The property tax can go up a few per cents a year...BUT the property tax bill will be full of other things besides the taxes. We have bonds for water--a few in our area, two for the local school district and one for the college, and then we have the fire department bond, even though we no longer have a private fire department, parks and recreation get some of the money, and some homes have special assessments for road work or for the hospital, ... voters will pass anything and it always adds to the tax bills. Mine is about $1000 extra a year for these bonds the voters keep adding on...

No caps on the bonds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
SSI is $733 a month so he would get $400 more than he is getting, but again-what is there to appeal? He was denied because his wife makes too much money, that's not negotiable; income limits on household members are very rigid with SSI, there is no waiver available. For him to get SSI they get divorced and maintain separate households or she quits her job.
Not always exactly.

I know of two couples, {one} he works, makes good money {mechanic}, she gets SSI About $200/month, {two} another, she works, he is on SSI, and he collects about $500/m with a spouse earning limited means like our OP.
Now these ARE longer standing cases, so PERHAPS OLD RULES may apply. ANd These are SSI cases, NOT SSDI cases.

There is a difference, and IF he IS disabled, it is unfortunate that he went SSI route instead of SSDI, if not, SSI may have been his only way to generate money.

With me on SSDI, and my spouse working at two jobs, I get SSDI based on my earnings the 10 years prior to start of SSDI in 2003. I still get my full amount, even though our income is north of $35k easily-depending on how many hours MOH works from now to year end...will be higher. My SSDI income is about half that. I am looking to work part time under the $780/m allowed. I can do that, and the employer will get an incentive to hire me. I have always worked two or three jobs while i was working, and now would be no different. I am NOT penalized as it is based ON MY earnings, my own SS case. Working at about $700/m will get me an additional $8400/yr of income all legal and legit.I will still be considered disabled, but will be able to work part time...

Ultimately, he {the OP} has to collect his regular SS, which may be more or less depending on his top 35 earning years.. When does that kick in for him, two more years? it does for me at 67...does he have to wait? if so, again, can his wife work two jobs{?}, or they need to look into services I suggested earlier to get by.

IF he is getting SSI, he can get the "ticket to work" incentive to employers to hire him now, even at his age, if they go for it and he is a quality employee.

See starting PAge 10 here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

May help to get him hired so he can earn more than the $5196/yr he is getting now.
Even at $700/m income from work, he will get more than $8400/year over$3200 MORE than the $5196 he is getting now.
But Age discrimination is alive and well in the USA.To bad he is caught...

ah well,

Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I am in CA too. The property tax can go up a few per cents a year...BUT the property tax bill will be full of other things besides the taxes. We have bonds for water--a few in our area, two for the local school district and one for the college, and then we have the fire department bond, even though we no longer have a private fire department, parks and recreation get some of the money, and some homes have special assessments for road work or for the hospital, ... voters will pass anything and it always adds to the tax bills. Mine is about $1000 extra a year for these bonds the voters keep adding on...
No caps on the bonds!
I guess we are lucky we have one assessment of $47 a year

Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Not always exactly. I know of two couples, {one} he works, makes good money {mechanic}, she gets SSI About $200/month, {two} another, she works, he is on SSI, and he collects about $500/m with a spouse earning limited means like our OP. Now these ARE longer standing cases, so PERHAPS OLD RULES may apply. ANd These are SSI cases, NOT SSDI cases.
The rules for an ineligible spouse's income are complex, but remember he was automatically eligible due to age so the disqualification had to have been from the combination of his pension and his wife's income.
Quote:
With me on SSDI, and my spouse working at two jobs, I get SSDI based on my earnings the 10 years prior to start of SSDI in 2003. I still get my full amount, even though our income is north of $35k easily. My SSDI income is about half that.
Right..because the benefit is not based on your income, you can get it if you are a millionaire.
Quote:
Ultimately, he {the OP} has to collect his regular SS, which may be more or less depending on his top 35 earning years.. When does that kick in for him, two more years? it does for me at 67...does he have to wait? if so, again, can his wife work two jobs{?}, or they need to look into services I suggested earlier to get by.
I have not been able to get an answer from him as to whether he has any social security earnings, if he does his best bet is to get a job and build up his benefit check over the next few years from his earnings.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
<snip>

There is a difference, and IF he IS disabled, it is unfortunate that he went SSI route instead of SSDI, if not, SSI may have been his only way to generate money. <snip>

You cannot apply for SSI without also applying for entitlement benefits, i.e. SS disability or retirement benefits.

I am looking to work part time under the $780/m allowed. I can do that, and the employer will get an incentive to hire me. I have always worked two or three jobs while i was working, and now would be no different. I am NOT penalized as it is based ON MY earnings, my own SS case. Working at about $700/m will get me an additional $8400/yr of income all legal and legit.I will still be considered disabled, but will be able to work part time...

Although it is true that you can earn less than $780/month (in 2015) and that the earnings will not directly cause your SSDIB to cease or be reduced, upon notice of your earnings, SSA can and sometimes does conduct a medical review to see if there is medical improvement. (As they should...)

Ultimately, he {the OP} has to collect his regular SS, which may be more or less depending on his top 35 earning years.. When does that kick in for him, two more years? it does for me at 67...does he have to wait? if so, again, can his wife work two jobs{?}, or they need to look into services I suggested earlier to get by. <snip>

If he is currently 65 years old, as stated, his full retirement age is 66. If he is receiving SSDIB, then there will be little changed when he enters retirement in one year. If he is receiving reduced SS retirement benefits, the reduction in benefits is permanent. If he is receiving a pension, then I pray he is eligible for full SS retirement benefits in one year - but I doubt this as he surely would have applied for SS retirement benefits by the age of 65 given his financial state.

The ticket to work is not applicable as he stated he was denied SSI.

ah well,
Nevertheless, if the OP is receiving early SS retirement benefits AND can prove he was disabled at the time he elected to receive those benefits, he may be able to claim SSDIB for that time period. (This would erase the early retirement reduction.) Obviously, either time is running out or may have already run out for his claim.

It's too bad this is all conjecture because we don't know whether his check is for a pension, SS early retirement or SSDIB.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:00 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
I guess we are lucky we have one assessment of $47 a year
You certainly are. I have my 2015-2016 property tax bill in front of me. Seven different voter approved bond assessments, totaling $644.10.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
With SSDI you have to have so many credits within the last 10 years of your working career. You can go to the Social Security website and they will tell you if you have enough credits.

If you are getting any kind of disability, I think they also need you to reaffirm that disability every so often. So if you have been awarded disability and then get a job, the thinking goes that since you can work, even part-time, then you don't need disability.

And getting disability is tough. I applied in November of 2012 and had my first hearing in March of 2014. I was turned down, then appealed and was turned down again. That was in 2015. We're now at the the federal level and I can expect to hear from them sometime in spring or summer in 2016. I'm 3 1/2 years from retirement. I expect to retire before I get through all the hearings and appeals of disability.
It might have mattered at 62, but at 65 even if he applied for and was approved for SSDI, it would convert to regular SS retirement at full retirement age, which in his case will be next year- at 66.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Nevertheless, if the OP is receiving early SS retirement benefits AND can prove he was disabled at the time he elected to receive those benefits, he may be able to claim SSDIB for that time period. (This would erase the early retirement reduction.) Obviously, either time is running out or may have already run out for his claim.

It's too bad this is all conjecture because we don't know whether his check is for a pension, SS early retirement or SSDIB.
He claims that he applied for and was denied SSI, that infers that he was not eligible for SSDI. When you apply for SSI they automatically check your social security earnings to see if you are eligible for SSDI instead.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:25 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
He claims that he applied for and was denied SSI, that infers that he was not eligible for SSDI. When you apply for SSI they automatically check your social security earnings to see if you are eligible for SSDI instead.
No, it does not imply that he was denied SSDI. He could have filed a dual application and been denied SSI because either he failed the SSI asset test or his wife's income placed him about the income guidelines. Under either of those circumstances (and probably a few more) he would still be eligible for SSDI.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
No, it does not imply that he was denied SSDI. He could have filed a dual application and been denied SSI because either he failed the SSI asset test or his wife's income placed him about the income guidelines. Under either of those circumstances (and probably a few more) he would still be eligible for SSDI.
If you apply for SSI, they check social security wage records and if it is found that you are eligible for SSDI they process the application for those benefits. There are cases where a person is approved for SSDI but their benefits are so low that they are supplemented by SSI, but in that case the amount received over SSDI would be subject to means testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement