Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 06:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I think you are right...there is really no reason for it in my opinion. It is my SO that is concerned, but, I may have to just tell him NO.
It all sounds too convoluted to me. I think your idea of just saying no is a good one. I wish you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Aww that brings back a sad memory for me and one of our regular cystic fibrosis patients. He and his disabled girlfriend were receiving assistance and if they married their benefits would be cut. They had a wedding with all the trimmings without being legally married. They lived together but they both had apartments in the same building. She died about two years later and he died about a year after that Every once in awhile you have a patient that still haunts you years later. I still think of them decades later and how special their love for each other was. They didn't need that piece of paper.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My mother was very religious and believed in marriage; however, she always said if two people were older and would have to forfeit pensions to marry, she thought it was all right to just live together. I go along with that, although provisions should be made for the person who outlives their mate to stay in the house they shared for the rest of life.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:38 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
If the OP has a good lifetime pension and health insurance, it might be wise not to remarry officially. I don't see the point of the spiritual marriage either. You could make a commitment to each other without any of this.

At the same time you might want to see an attorney and prepare powers of attorney in case something happens to one of you and the other needs some authorization for healthcare or financial decisions.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:42 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Seems the Catholic Church is now ok on "shacking up".

The synod was more embracive of cohabiting heterosexuals, stating that some couples may not marry in the church for cultural or economic reasons. Their bonds, the synod concluded, could nevertheless involve the kind of “lasting” and “reliable” ties that can eventually lead to marriage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2fc_story.html

Old 10-24-2015, 06:55 PM

99 posts, read 71,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Seems the Catholic Church is now ok on "shacking up".

The synod was more embracive of cohabiting heterosexuals, stating that some couples may not marry in the church for cultural or economic reasons. Their bonds, the synod concluded, could nevertheless involve the kind of “lasting” and “reliable” ties that can eventually lead to marriage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2fc_story.html

You must have missed the 3rd paragraph .

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
I have no idea and don't actually care what his mother thinks as he just told me this. Clearly I need to question him further on this issue. I'm not on board at all with it.
Not sure why he feels the need for this. If you love each other and are happy, why bother? My spouse and I lived together for several years before getting married (2nd marriage). Both a little gun shy and didn't feel there was a need for legality. As we aged, I had military benefits that would be beneficial to her, especially heath care, so we made it legal. Would we still be together without making it legal? Absolutely.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 AM

99 posts, read 71,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Not sure why he feels the need for this. If you love each other and are happy, why bother? My spouse and I lived together for several years before getting married (2nd marriage). Both a little gun shy and didn't feel there was a need for legality. As we aged, I had military benefits that would be beneficial to her, especially heath care, so we made it legal. Would we still be together without making it legal? Absolutely.
some people believe living together as man and wife w/0 being married is a sin.
You do not

We are not all alike.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
My SO says he has read about spiritual weddings that aren't legal so people can keep there pensions. Has anybody ever heard of this? I'm just not sure about this at all.
It smells like fraud. You might want to talk to a criminal attorney to see what the repercussions might be, if any.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:28 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It smells like fraud. You might want to talk to a criminal attorney to see what the repercussions might be, if any.

Fraud of what kind and by who? Me or my SO or the state of NH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement