Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, when we talked about where to retire, we thought we wanted to be on the coast (PNW specifically). A year later, we thought of the need to be near major medical facilities, so maybe a smaller house on the coast and a condo near a major city was our plan B. This year, my FIL had a series of strokes, ending up in a nursing home for 3 months before he passed. This got us to re-think our plans again. We don't want to burden our kids with having to dispose of our possessions, so we'll be downsizing over the next decade or two. Our plan for the coast is likely out and we will be exploring CCRCs well before we need one. For now, we'll be retiring in place as we want to limit the number of moves once we're both retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Why does that sound so odd, wishing to retire as close to the Mexican Border as I can?

I haven't bought any medications in the U.S. nor had any dental work done, in 22 years. I've also had other medical issues addressed in Mexico as well.

I just went on Medicare 4/1, with an Aetna Medicare Advantage Plan, and my first prescription had a co-pay of $135. I bought 3 of them in Mexico for my co-pay here. And no prescription necessary!

I've never had any fear of crossing the Border, no matter what's going on over there, and not knowing what's going to become of Medicare, I just like the idea I have another option close by.

I've been to 2 of them already, there's an International Red Cross Clinic you can go to over there, (Nogales & Tijuana) and a Dr. visit will set you back a whopping $5!

Interesting. You've just given me a reason to stay in Arizona.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Why does that sound so odd, wishing to retire as close to the Mexican Border as I can?

I haven't bought any medications in the U.S. nor had any dental work done, in 22 years. I've also had other medical issues addressed in Mexico as well.

I just went on Medicare 4/1, with an Aetna Medicare Advantage Plan, and my first prescription had a co-pay of $135. I bought 3 of them in Mexico for my co-pay here. And no prescription necessary!

I've never had any fear of crossing the Border, no matter what's going on over there, and not knowing what's going to become of Medicare, I just like the idea I have another option close by.

I've been to 2 of them already, there's an International Red Cross Clinic you can go to over there, (Nogales & Tijuana) and a Dr. visit will set you back a whopping $5!
I thought of the possibility of getting drugs in Mexico - but it's possible to get mail order drugs from Canada - no matter where you live. And I think I'd personally feel more comfortable using a pharmacy system that was similar to ours (in terms of things like requiring prescriptions).

Don't know anything about the medical/dental care in Mexico. Or what the border towns are like (in terms of crime/safety or anything else). Robyn

Old 10-28-2015, 02:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
A few years ago, when we talked about where to retire, we thought we wanted to be on the coast (PNW specifically). A year later, we thought of the need to be near major medical facilities, so maybe a smaller house on the coast and a condo near a major city was our plan B. This year, my FIL had a series of strokes, ending up in a nursing home for 3 months before he passed. This got us to re-think our plans again. We don't want to burden our kids with having to dispose of our possessions, so we'll be downsizing over the next decade or two. Our plan for the coast is likely out and we will be exploring CCRCs well before we need one. For now, we'll be retiring in place as we want to limit the number of moves once we're both retired.
I'm sure there are not only a few who feel that way. The thinking would be why do an interim move for just a few years if you know you'll be looking to a CCRC.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Unfortunately, the program changed significantly just before we planned to make the move, and we found that the older program we saw wouldn't be available to us anymore. So we did a lot of research to find another good program for our daughter, and came up with Sacramento. We made a trip out to there and met with social services officials, and saw a few programs in operation, and found that this seemed to be a pretty good alternative too.

So we switched gears, and ended up in Sacramento.
This is a case of hardcore logical thinking for a focused outcome.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I forgot to ad in my previous post how much my cost of living in nosediving when I'm not that busy working. I'm doing some people some pretty smokin' favors but that means I GET TO USE THEIR CAR to do it. So I also shop for myself at the same time. I can plan better.

The ladies I'm seeing have lots more "kash" that moi, as they've all outlived....three or four husbands. (retirement secret: the women eventually get all the money; surprise). But that also means my costs have disappeared! I have three hobbies; two are really really cheap.

Have one vice and do it well; don't have four or five and be incompetent at all of them. That you can take to the bank upon "retirement".

Old 10-28-2015, 02:54 PM

Today I made a mental list of truisms.

I am aging, I am going to continue to age, time does not stand still. For me the years are going moderately fast.

There will come a point when I will not be able, or want, to drive. I will need other kinds of transport.

There will come a time when I need some form of support, especially if I wind up alone. Even if it's no more than someone driving me to doctor and dentist appts. and being there when ill.

There will come a time when I will be much more involved in my daily ability to function than with any future plans for big stuff like travel.

etc.

I do not want to shortchange myself now by bending toward my personal realities, above. If I did, it's probably the best course to stay where we are now because this place answers all these concerns.

That is my head talking. Head over heart?

Old 10-28-2015, 02:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
akck at #71, I don't think one can or should follow a course for all contingencies that could happen. Especially the Continuing Care facility factor.

Being prepared for contingencies is good, but expecting the worst would seem to put a damper on enjoying one's older years.

Eliminating what you really want to do which is have a house on the PNW coast and maybe a condo in a city is not necessary. I would say follow your dream and establish it.

Just because your FIL needed a continuing care facility, it doesn't mean you or your spouse will need one. Nor do you have to destroy what you really want to do to plan for the worst scenario. Even if you need a continuing care facility (many people never do need one) you do not have to drop your plan for a house on the PNW coast and a condo elsewhere!!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-28-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Riverbird, I thought your area has a senior transit system which can drive you to doctor & dental appointments from your house and anywhere else you, as a senior, would like transit to. yes?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Riverbird, I thought your area has a senior transit system which can drive you to doctor & dental appointments from your house and anywhere else you, as a senior, would like transit to. yes?
Yes, and that, as I said just above, points to the "logical" aspects of just staying put. But, as your post just above this one suggests, is it always best to follow logistics? Is logical thinking the only reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement