Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Seems like some of us have been talking about relocation for some time now. Is anyone rethinking their plan based on logical thinking about one or more aspects? How is that impacting where you are at now? What are some of the reasons making you change our mind or at least reassess the plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Have neither changed nor reassessed. We knew where we wanted to be and here we are (or at least it will be "we" again in just under than three weeks).

Old 10-26-2015, 04:25 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
Did I miss something? Is your wife returning Curmudgeon?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
People should reassess their plans and current situation periodically. What appeared feasible once may no longer be due to factors in or out of your control.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
Very happy news Curmudgeon.

I am still assessing what to do, and I flip flop almost daily as new information comes to light. I spoke with my property manager and they have agreed to extend the store's lease for a year. Of my original competitors, 1 closed last year, 2 closed this year, and one closed in 2013. However, there are still 7 times more competitors than there were when I first started, so business is rough. I spoke to another of my original competitors. She can't believe what is going on. She is also complaining about decreasing profit. She said that she plans to give her store 1 more year and if business doesn't improve she is going to close. That was my plan also. All types of rent (residential, commercial, industrial, retail, professional) are rising very fast so we aren't sure that it is really worth the effort any more. But at least I will know that I gave it my best shot.

Then the question became do I want to stay here or not. I was leaning toward staying here because my husband has a good GP and his health is always ify. But his doctor just joined a huge practice and things aren't going so smoothly. They lose his test results, they have no record of tests that they ran, I have trouble reaching the doctor, they aren't sending the faxes they say they will send. So, if things don't improve I won't feel so constrained to stay here for his doctor.

We don't have any friends here. People seem to come and go. I don't like the changes that I am seeing in this city.

Once I close the store we will have the time to visit other cities. I still want to go back home to FL, but I've been away for 8 years and I need to see how it has changed.... and the medical care is still terrible in FL and the crime rate is still very high.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Then the question became do I want to stay here or not.
May I ask what kind of "logical" thinking you're doing...is it between where you are and just one other place? Has something in that other place perhaps become an overall deal-breaker seen from where you sit now?

Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
The logical thinking is based on removing emotion from the equation. I very much want to move back to Florida. But, Florida may not be the best place for me given my current needs. So the next logical question is: what are our needs. And I find that the answer is good medical care, activities enough to keep me from growing bored, a good environment for my store, religious tolerance, a cost of living we can handle, and a climate we can deal with.

There are several states like NY and CT (I have lived in both in the past) or PA and these would meet most of my needs but my emotional side says I don't want cold and snow.

Once I have finished reviewing all of my options then I can begin visiting the cities that are on the top of my logical list and I can begin eliminating them based on emotional qualifications.

The logical side makes lists. I have an Excel spreadsheet to help me rank locations.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Did I miss something? Is your wife returning Curmudgeon?
Yes she is. I'm flying to CA early next month and driving her back.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
The logical thinking is based on removing emotion from the equation. I very much want to move back to Florida. But, Florida may not be the best place for me given my current needs. So the next logical question is: what are our needs. And I find that the answer is good medical care, activities enough to keep me from growing bored, a good environment for my store, religious tolerance, a cost of living we can handle, and a climate we can deal with.

There are several states like NY and CT (I have lived in both in the past) or PA and these would meet most of my needs but my emotional side says I don't want cold and snow.

Once I have finished reviewing all of my options then I can begin visiting the cities that are on the top of my logical list and I can begin eliminating them based on emotional qualifications.

The logical side makes lists. I have an Excel spreadsheet to help me rank locations.
You should make a point of visiting those northern states in the winter time, and not the summer months or the lovely fall.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Have neither changed nor reassessed. We knew where we wanted to be and here we are (or at least it will be "we" again in just under than three weeks).
Good to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement