Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:11 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know that right!! Only GOD can help me get through the next 9 1/2 years.
MAYBE I'll be able to swing it at 62...but even that is 7 1/2 years.
I try to just take it day by day. But most days I just don't want to be there.
If anything I'll waffle and move UP the date.
Well, I am 63 and "planning" to go out next April after my birthday.

If I could go back 9 1/2 years, I would definitely do a few things differently:

- no major purchases (cars, etc.) unless I really had to, then probably not brand new, but good, used.
- contribute more to the 401K and max out everything if I could afford to
- pay off the mortgage
- convince the soon to be ex wife that we don't need multiples of everything, including ironing boards ( I found 3 or 4 already), brooms (7 or 8), vacuum cleaners (6 or 7), irons (4), coffee makers (6 at least), well.....you get the picture
- have a target age for retirement in mind
- plan for continued health/dental requirements post retirement
- get rid of the millstone apartment house that she took over from her deceased father, overpaid for, and is continuing to funnel good money after bad into.
- save, save, save, save, save and possibly have consulted a professional financial planner much sooner.

Ah, you get it.....think about money now so you won't have to worry about it later.
It's not everything, but it sure does help you live a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:34 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Quote:
I would definitely do a few things differently
Your list is what we have been doing the past five years by design. I have been stashing away my paycheck and we live off dh's. Stopped buying "stuff" we don't really need. We did however recently buy our hopefully forever car (used) but with only 12K miles and saved up so I could pay cash. Living very frugally save for eating out a bit more than I'd like. No other debt except a small mortgage but with the equity from house value rising so quickly, we can pay cash for the next one when we move. Health insurance and pension when I retire and if I add DH about $250 a month at present. We have a very average income and will in retirement too. It all seems good on paper but still nervous about letting go...

Old 10-30-2015, 06:46 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
I planned on retiring at 55 the day I started working, my company had an age 55 minimum and a points system for retirement, 85 points is full retirement. 1 point for age, 1 point for years of service. So if you are 55 with 30 years service it's 85 points..
The day I turned 55 I retired with going on 36 years service, started at 19 years old....
So Yes. I had a date, and stuck to it

Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I planned on retiring at 55 the day I started working, my company had an age 55 minimum and a points system for retirement, 85 points is full retirement. 1 point for age, 1 point for years of service. So if you are 55 with 30 years service it's 85 points..
The day I turned 55 I retired with going on 36 years service, started at 19 years old....
So Yes. I had a date, and stuck to it
I kicked in an extra 3 months to mine "just in case" so no one could ever come back and say "our revised calculations indicate...."

Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I kicked in an extra 3 months to mine "just in case" so no one could ever come back and say "our revised calculations indicate...."
I was just waiting on age, had the points for a few years

Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Approaching retirement, I did not have any second thoughts. Instead I had another big issue. I wanted/needed to sell the house before retiring. Downsizing was really hard for my wife, the packrat, and it took a long time before we were ready to list the house. Unfortunately we then had to deal with a disaster of nature. We had a heavy, heavy winter snowfall that did not melt until it was hit with abnormally very heavy Spring rains. The water ground water table level rose in an area covering several hundred houses around my neighborhood and all the basements leaked. We had to add 4 sump pumps and still had a wet basement for months and months. All of this also happened after the housing bubble burst. We faced trying to sell with depressed prices, very low real estate activity, very reluctant lenders and living in a neighborhood with a water table above the level of the basements. In fact at the worst the water table was higher than part of my lawn for several weeks.

Eventually the water table subsided and we sold the house making some money but losing at least $150K over peak levels.

Pardon me if I don't have any sympathy for someone who can't make up their mind about retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement