Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:57 PM

4,178 posts, read 3,374,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Is it like any other night? Do you decorate your house now that you're retired? Do you go to a party?

We live in a 55+ so no trick-or-treaters here and I do miss the little buggers. I decorated my front steps and doorway but there's no Halloween going on inside. I'll wear a pumpkin shirt today as I'm out and about. That's about it. Otherwise it's just another night. It's the first Halloween I remember falling before the time fall back so happy the kids will get the extra hour and here in the northeast it'll be milder than usual. BOO!
I really loved Trick or Treating as a kid, then decorating and handing out candy as an adult. It was FUN.

But now...

We've lived where we do for a lonnnng time, and this is the first time that Trick or Treaters are acting like a greedy, grabby, nasty little mob. Literally pushing their way into the house and snatching candy from the bowl.

Happy Halloween indeed....WHAT on earth is wrong with people any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 03:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,368,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I really loved Trick or Treating as a kid, then decorating and handing out candy as an adult. It was FUN.

But now...

We've lived where we do for a lonnnng time, and this is the first time that Trick or Treaters are acting like a greedy, grabby, nasty little mob. Literally pushing their way into the house and snatching candy from the bowl.

Happy Halloween indeed....WHAT on earth is wrong with people any more?
Thank God we live where children, by and large, are polite, respectful, well-behaved and grateful.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,181,847 times
Out here in Arizona, the weather should be beautiful tonight, @70 and an almost full moon, so it should be a nice night to Trick or Treat. We did get invited to a Halloween party last week, but were not able to attend. It seems as if we do get fewer youngsters coming to the door these past couple years. We do get a number of families who do not live in this immediate subdivision, and these days get [foreign] mothers and fathers who dress-up along with their children and ask for candy too! I just give it to them as well, because they are having so much fun with their children. And 100% of them have always said "Thank You".

I will say that out here, there are a number of religious establishments that are advertising/inviting the public to celebrate a "Harvest Night", "Fall Festival", "Trunk or Treat" as an alternative to traditional neighborhood Trick or Treating. I would say that they are starting to make a dent in attracting part of the crowd, which I am sorry about, because I think the neighbors coming around with their children dressed in costumes is not "evil" and I personally think the religious orgs should stay out of it. Out here I have also noticed a huge up-tick in the number of adult Halloween parties and also adults dressing up just for fun.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:16 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,727,284 times
I've got treats ready for any Trick or Treaters we get tonight. Yesterday was the Halloween parade in town on the main boulevard. The kids line up in age groups and parade for a few blocks, they were so cute. Then they go to all the shops where they are set up on the sidewalk in front of the shop with treats and people in costume giving them out. We get just a handful of kids on Halloween at our house. Last year a family came on a golf cart decorated with orange lights. Oh, they just came again tonight, two young boys and a little toddler princess with Mom driving the cart and Grandma along for the ride, out before it gets dark. I'm still getting used to Halloween in FL.

In NY we were down to under a dozen kids coming to our house, our street is hilly and I think the kids look down it and decide there's easier pickings elsewhere without having to walk back up a steep hill. The firehouse has a party for kids on Halloween and due to some teenage shenanigans there has been a curfew in the village and town on Halloween for years. Each year we saw less kids, mainly just neighborhood kids.

When I was a kid we were invited into homes where our neighbor's made a big deal at guessing who we were (like they didn't know) and apples, popcorn balls and homemade donuts were given along with big candy bars. I remember running for my life with a sheet and two holes cut out for eyes; terrified my brother would loose me in the dark. On purpose. There's nothing like running in the dark across empty fields and uneven terrain, being five and trying to be brave and not cry. I've always liked Halloween though and still do.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-31-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 05:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,869,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Is it like any other night? Do you decorate your house now that you're retired? Do you go to a party?

We live in a 55+ so no trick-or-treaters here and I do miss the little buggers. I decorated my front steps and doorway but there's no Halloween going on inside. I'll wear a pumpkin shirt today as I'm out and about. That's about it. Otherwise it's just another night. It's the first Halloween I remember falling before the time fall back so happy the kids will get the extra hour and here in the northeast it'll be milder than usual. BOO!
Just another night here. No decorations here. Since I'm new to the neighborhood I asked the ones on each side of me what to expect as far as kids. One said he 'might' get two. The other one has kids and he says the vast majority of people take their kids to the big parties put on by the town. I know Walmart donates a truck load of candy for the two of them. There's one in our Old Town and another in the big park in the town next to us. Saw some really cute costumes on fellow employees at work today.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,368,088 times
Trust the Feds to try to ruin a good thing!

Pumpkin peril: Federal website's jack o'lantern warning cites climate change | Fox News

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 PM

4,178 posts, read 3,374,232 times
Wow....no teenagers. The blood runs thin in this generation.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,925,669 times
Hallowe'en is for children...of any age. We saw the kiddos in their costumes today after we showed up at their door with sheets over our heads and a huge carved pumpkin in hand with a shining light inside. They were so excited, the first Hallowe'en that they kind of understand.

I LOVE this time of year, its gorgeous brilliant colors in the trees even as they fade, leaves down, kids jumping in them, early evenings, and the smell of the air. Living adjacent to countryside i pass the farms with wagons piled with pumpkins or apples, stone walls, cemeteries, scarecrows, fresh cider stands, gauzy ghosts hanging from trees. I also love All Saint's Day, Nov 1, and the entire month of November with its soft colors and cool air.

If you can make it thru the popup ads and read all the way down, this describes well the origins and customs of Hallowe'en: The Spooky History of Halloween | Her Campus

Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 PM
JRR

8,130 posts, read 5,594,048 times
We've lived here for 21 years; used to get 40-50 kids coming by. It has been steadily going down each year. Now it is 8:30 and no one so far tonight. This might be our first year with no one coming by.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,343,878 times
BOO-tiful night!!

I used to raid my son's loot looking for quality candy but now that I'm older I'm more discerning and doubtful that many are handing out Lindt dark chocolate with touch of sea salt so I'm not missing much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement