Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you eat when you go out?
A few favorite restaurants where we eat frequently. 58 59.79%
Fast food - Denny's, 5 Guys, Olive Garden, Chipotley, Take out 14 14.43%
Only when we travel 4 4.12%
Once or twice a month. 19 19.59%
Only on anniversaries and other occasions 13 13.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times

Advertisements

Why is this question in this thread? It's not senior related nor retirement related. A move is on order, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 12:48 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I honestly prefer my cooking to going out. My husband won't even have a glass of wine if he's driving, so we're much more likely to go out for lunch than dinner. But, I love seafood, and I don't do a great job with it, so when I have a craving we go out for it. No chains, we eat out so rarely that cost isn't a factor, and go upscale.

The only chain I've been to in years is Carraba's, and that's because it's my mother's choice when I go to NC to visit. Fast food? Never. When traveling we'll eat breakfast at the hotel, then drive until dinner time, and search out a local spot.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Why is this question in this thread? It's not senior related nor retirement related. A move is on order, IMO.
Our interest is in where and how often seniors eat out. You will get completely different answers if you put this on the Food & Drink sub-forum. For example, I 'm interested in whether retirement resulted in people cooking more meals for themselves and even make cooking more of a hobby and elevate their cooking. Or did the extra time available and need to get out of the house and socialize result in their eating out more often.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 PM

5,248 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You are seriously generalizing about chains?

You must live in a very small town.
I live in a kinda big town & hardly ever go into a restaurant that advertises on TV unless I'm on the road or in a huge hurry. I save my $$$ for places that are run by someone who serves fresh food & is an actual cook, not teenagers who throw frozen prepackaged items into ovens. Every few months I might grab a fast food burger or Chipotle, but never, never a chain pizza slice... horrible!

Enough mom & pop places to support around here, I've lived other places & understand that isn't always the case... Same with groceries, I don't usually buy much of anything that's advertised, mostly fresh ingredients + condiments.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
We prefer to go out for breakfast or lunch, as we usually get out of the house noon-ish... and we like to go to local places that seem to cook real food.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
We live in Asheville. There are lots of great places to eat in all price ranges. We eat out regularly-- we do not go to chain restaurants. The "eat local and fresh movement" is something see enjoy here. We also both enjoy cooking. I didn't see any place for me in your poll.
We're the same so I couldn't answer the poll either.
Asheville is one of our favorite cities for farm-to-table, locally sourced restaurants; we especially enjoy Sunny Point Cafe! Sadly Asheville is about a 15-hour drive from here so we only get there every couple of years. But the movement is increasing, there are 3 now in our small exurban TX community and many more in nearby DFW.

Other than farm-to-table restaurants, we usually eat out only at small non-chain ethnic or specialty places (Cajun, Indian, Greek, Mexican, Soul, BBQ, etc.). They're easy to find just about anywhere. One chain we do like is Luby's Cafeterias. They're only in a few states though.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:51 PM

35,048 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I'm not a very good cook and will generally only make my lunch. I go out to eat a lot at dinner.

Tuesday's I go to an Irish pub and have a cottage pie for $7. I like sandwiches, so I end up at some chain and local delis. I frequent a brewery near my house, a hot dog place, BBQ joint.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
We really like a steak restaurant 40 mins away.

I would never order meat, but this is delicious.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Our interest is in where and how often seniors eat out. You will get completely different answers if you put this on the Food & Drink sub-forum. For example, I 'm interested in whether retirement resulted in people cooking more meals for themselves and even make cooking more of a hobby and elevate their cooking. Or did the extra time available and need to get out of the house and socialize result in their eating out more often.
Bada Bing a perfect forum topic and hopefully a consideration for folks when transplanting.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I live in a kinda big town & hardly ever go into a restaurant that advertises on TV unless I'm on the road or in a huge hurry. I save my $$$ for places that are run by someone who serves fresh food & is an actual cook, not teenagers who throw frozen prepackaged items into ovens. Every few months I might grab a fast food burger or Chipotle, but never, never a chain pizza slice... horrible!

Enough mom & pop places to support around here, I've lived other places & understand that isn't always the case... Same with groceries, I don't usually buy much of anything that's advertised, mostly fresh ingredients + condiments.
Very few chains cook with prepacked frozen food any longer.

All those little mom and pop places buy their ingredients from the exact same places chains do, Sysco Foods. Unless they are on a slow food movement, and that is very expensive and menu prices will reflect that, they are all buying from the same place.

Keep in mind those chains also employ locals and put money back into the local community. And because they are chains, they are able to offer their employees what most independents are not: 401K, paid vacations, and health insurance.

I eat at both and enjoy both but to scoff at chains just because they are a chain restaurant is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement