Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I was talking with an elderly co-worker about living in Salt Lake City and he said that only thing that he did not like was the bitter cold winters. I guess when I think of "bitter cold" I think of Minneapolis or Green Bay. He mentioned that he was already in his late 60's by the time he moved there and was to old enjoy the mountains and also contributed to his dislike of the SLC winter weather.

Is cold weather more difficult for you now as apposed to when you were young? Does a day time high of 30C bother you now as apposed to when you were young?
No. I got more sensitive to the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 11:15 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I think my thermostat is broken. I can feel like I'm freezing when my husband wants the window open.

Yes, both hot and cold weather affect me differently than they did when I was younger. However, I'll take a hot day any time. It's much easier to find ways to cool down for me than it is to get warm in the house with a DH who doesn't like it too warm.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:11 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
I feel cold a lot, but less so if I move around more.....

Old 11-01-2015, 02:53 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
There is something to it medically, but one thing that I've seen in my own family first hand is that weight loss can contribute. Many elderly get thin/frail and thin folks tolerate cold less well - they're less insulated.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yup. I live in south Texas, and the winter is long and miserable. I spend most of it bundled up. There are a lot of pleasant days, but way too many of them down in the 60s.

The heat is fine, I love the summer here, with heat index around 105 virtually every day. I only turn on my AC about 12 hours a day, at the most, and sleep every night with the windows open.
Needs to be 65°F or below for me to sleep well. I love waking up to mornings in the mid 30's or low 40's while out on camping trips.

I'm 29, and though I still love the cold (and especially the cool, crisp weather we're having now in the mid-atlantic), I HAVE noticed my tolerance for cold slipping a bit, which spurred my interest enough to click into this thread.

Still cannot stand the heat or humidity very well, and never have been able to.

Quote:
There is something to it medically, but one thing that I've seen in my own family first hand is that weight loss can contribute. Many elderly get thin/frail and thin folks tolerate cold less well - they're less insulated.
That may be over simplifying things a bit. I think FIT people tolerate cold better (as well as relatively sudden fluctuations) , as other posters have mentioned above. Blood flow & circulation has a lot to do with it I think. I've never met a distance runner who had too much trouble with cold.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 PM

812 posts, read 794,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I lived in Denver 8 years. When the Chinooks would kick up in the spring, the TV stations would often run stories on psychological impact of weather - in a very general sense, sun makes people happy, clouds depressed and wind makes people angry.
Hee hee! This made me laugh. It is interesting and like you mentioned, generally true, I think! Since living here in AZ, I love it when we get clouds, but this is an extreme kind of place. And I'm different than many. I'd take wind over calm when it is hot, but sometimes the wind can drive me crazy too. I do love weather in all its variations.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
I've grown more sensitive to cold as I've gotten older. I'm 68 and on five different meds, and I suspect a large part of it is the meds I'm on. My solution to living here in the midwest is layering like crazy. When it's really cold out, I wear fingerless gloves around the house, use hand warmers, long underwear, etc. But I also don't like it hot in the house, so the thermostat stays around 66-68 in the day, 64-66 at night.

A friend of mine who's around 50 and lived for several years in Sweden used to make fun of my cold sensitivity; now that he's older, he's starting to feel it too. So I think it's something more to do with physiology than psychology.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I'm in menopause. I could spend hours in the milk cooler at Costco in short sleeves. People wearing sweaters or shawls when it is warm out? That actually makes me angry. Spitting angry.

So, no ...I'm not cold.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:11 PM

708 posts, read 823,409 times
I used to be cold most of the time until I sorted out my thyroid (Iodine supplementation protocol).

Old 11-01-2015, 11:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm in menopause. I could spend hours in the milk cooler at Costco in short sleeves. People wearing sweaters or shawls when it is warm out? That actually makes me angry. Spitting angry.
That's a very strange reaction. Why would someone else's physical state make you spitting mad? My warm is probably very different than yours. I generally wear a sweatshirt or a jacket if it's less then 72°F.

Quote:
That may be over simplifying things a bit. I think FIT people tolerate cold better (as well as relatively sudden fluctuations) , as other posters have mentioned above. Blood flow & circulation has a lot to do with it I think. I've never met a distance runner who had too much trouble with cold

Multiple Ironman triathlon finisher, runner, swimmer, cyclist, so I was quite fit when I was racing. I have never tolerated cold well at all. So I would not agree with your oversimplification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement