Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times

Advertisements

i like the aca plans because compared to what i was paying for comprehensive health insurance a year and never used the aca plans have those using more paying more via the out of pockets .

just an occasional check up and visit to your primary can have you saving thousands if you had a comprehensive plan prior with low deductible and no or low out of pockets .

talk about a disaster , we just had our aca plan provider health republic get shut down by new york state because they are in financial trouble . the plan will end dec 1 .

they are the 2nd largest aca provider in ny . we got a letter last week warning us we have two weeks to file paper work and get accepted for just 1 month until the end of the year by a new plan.

we then have to research plans again in january .

any deductibles paid this year will not count with th new insurer over the last month .

ity is insane as 200,000 people scramble to try to get a new insurer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:23 AM

863 posts, read 795,125 times
We don't use the ACA because we would never qualify and we have other insurance through my military retirement. What I don't understand though is why everyone hates it so much. Is it perfect, far from it, but it is better than nothing. It always makes me scratch my head that people are ok with insurance companies ripping them off, the medical and pharmaceutical companies charging more and more and more, especially when you can get the same EXACT drugs in other countries for 1/50th the price. All in the name of "Capitalism". I just don't get it. Can the private sector do things better than the Government? In many instances, yes. But as long as profit is the motive, these companies don't give a damn about you or your health.

It blows my mind that the US spent 3.8 Trillion dollars on health care in 2014, which is more than the combined GDP of 23 of the 28 European countries. Yet those countries manage to provide universal health care to all of their citizens. And yes they pay a lot of taxes, but the tax portion for health care is still less than what the average American pays in premiums. If you include what the employer pays and add extreme deductibles, it gets even worse.

And we are certainly not any healthier for our "wonderful" health care system.

Again, I just don't get it.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:34 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
why should we be healthier ? nothing really changed there .

all it did was shift the expense from those who don't use much in the way of services to those who do .

the tax payers are still subsidizing those who likely would have had no insurance any way and used facility's stiffing them . .

the plans are priced much less as far as premiums go compared to the 15k we used to pay for my wife and i .

but many services are subject to a high out of pocket .

where as our insurance costs were a given every year before because we all paid the same regardless of usage , now if use little except our family doctor and some lab work we have no out of pockets so we save thousands .

i retired at 62 and use an aca gold plan

Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
So he got a hip replacement and he paid 350 a month and you hope it will be eliminated? And replaced by what?
We are on Medicare now, so we are safely out of it. I am referring to younger people with families who are paying thousands of dollars a month, instead of a few hundred they spent before.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are on Medicare now, so we are safely out of it. I am referring to younger people with families who are paying thousands of dollars a month, instead of a few hundred they spent before.
Have you looked at the actual facts and figures? The premiums have been on a steady climb since 1999. I had hoped that ACA would have at least leveled it off and hopefully decreased it, but it is about the same rate of increase as before. ACA has done nothing to increase the cost of medical services and prescription drugs, which is the main reason costs have risen. It has done a little here and there to decrease those costs but nothing significant. ACA has caused the price of some policies to go up because the insurers have to actually cover everyone and can't cap it and bankrupt them. I really hope we get to socialized medicine like the rest of the industrialized nations.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We don't use the ACA because we would never qualify and we have other insurance through my military retirement. What I don't understand though is why everyone hates it so much. Is it perfect, far from it, but it is better than nothing. It always makes me scratch my head that people are ok with insurance companies ripping them off, the medical and pharmaceutical companies charging more and more and more, especially when you can get the same EXACT drugs in other countries for 1/50th the price. All in the name of "Capitalism". I just don't get it. Can the private sector do things better than the Government? In many instances, yes. But as long as profit is the motive, these companies don't give a damn about you or your health.

It blows my mind that the US spent 3.8 Trillion dollars on health care in 2014, which is more than the combined GDP of 23 of the 28 European countries. Yet those countries manage to provide universal health care to all of their citizens. And yes they pay a lot of taxes, but the tax portion for health care is still less than what the average American pays in premiums. If you include what the employer pays and add extreme deductibles, it gets even worse.

And we are certainly not any healthier for our "wonderful" health care system.

People hate it because it was promoted as fixing the healthcare system when anyone with open eyes could see it wouldn't do a thing to fix it, in fact it would make it worse. People who would get a subsidy refused to see the disaster.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:25 AM

241 posts, read 272,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
ACA has done nothing to increase the cost of medical services and prescription drugs, which is the main reason costs have risen. It has done a little here and there to decrease those costs but nothing significant.
This is my main problem with ACA. They did not even try, IMO, to do anything to address the cost side of the equation. That should be the focus. Otherwise prices will keep spiraling up weather we are paying for it through premiums or taxes. As mentioned I also support the no preexisting and no lifetime caps parts of ACA.

As a side note, just went through open enrollment at work yesterday. No increase this year but we did have to change carriers to CIGNA. UHC was going to impose a 20% increase. Just FYI.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
It always makes me scratch my head that people are ok with insurance companies ripping them off, the medical and pharmaceutical companies charging more and more and more, especially when you can get the same EXACT drugs in other countries for 1/50th the price. All in the name of "Capitalism". I just don't get it.

Do you buy what "you" think will meet your needs? I did. Now I have to buy insurance to meet everyone else's needs but not ours yet we pay for it.

We lost our insurance that worked for "our family" l but because of Obamacare and we now pay higher premiums, double deductibles and now have a catastrophic insurance.

Trump is right, it's so expensive we'd have to be almost dead to use it.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,195,956 times
The average American can't afford to retire

Old 11-05-2015, 06:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
This is my main problem with ACA. They did not even try, IMO, to do anything to address the cost side of the equation. That should be the focus. Otherwise prices will keep spiraling up weather we are paying for it through premiums or taxes. As mentioned I also support the no preexisting and no lifetime caps parts of ACA.

As a side note, just went through open enrollment at work yesterday. No increase this year but we did have to change carriers to CIGNA. UHC was going to impose a 20% increase. Just FYI.
Weird; we just got CIGNA also. Switched away from Coventry and UHC was in the running (had them in the past) but were too high. We are a small company and have switched a few times. I liked BCBS the best, but they had a massive increase on renewal a few years ago. We had UHC the year the ACA rule kicked in limiting their overhead and profit percentage and I got a rebate.

Big pharma has so much clout in Congress it is crazy. That really needs to get fixed. Medical costs are a tough issue because we are a capitalist society and let the market drive prices. We can't fix it without doing some things that fly in the face of that. There is no profit incentive in making it affordable for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement