Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenLK View Post
After reading this thread and a few others, I seem to think that there are quite a few women here. [Some I cannot tell by their user name.]
My perception has always been that men have a greater incidence of hearing loss due to industrial jobs, military service, hunting, etc but now I think there are quite a few women as well.
What do you all think??
Yes, I've often heard the military, industrial, hunting explanation for men.

What isn't recognized as much is that osteoporosis can cause hearing loss due to changes in bone structure within the ear and that osteoporosis is much more common in women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 4,067 times
What isn't recognized as much is that osteoporosis can cause hearing loss due to changes in bone structure within the ear and that osteoporosis is much more common in women.[/quote]

Wow! That is something i did not know. My bones are pretty good.

Last edited by KarenLK; 05-04-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
My wife has had a very good experience. We were quite leery, as we had quite a few friends that tried them and then quit. We didn't spend a lot, $4000.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:12 PM

268 posts, read 345,101 times
The batteries are where they make their money!

Like razor blades, can add up quickly unless you buy in bulk off E-bay etc..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM

137 posts, read 249,287 times
Loss of hearing increases dementia risk.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:35 PM

515 posts, read 778,365 times
I've had a noticeable hearing loss since childhood due to chronic ear infections. I was disqualified for military service in 1971 because of it. I love being in the woods in the fall of the year, perched high in a tree with my bow in hand but until just a few years ago, I didn't realize what I was missing because of my hearing loss. I picked up a cheap sound amplifier and put in in one morning. What was as quiet morning became a whole new experience for me. Crows calling back an forth on a distant ridge, squirrels barking down near the creek and all sorts of bird chirps and leaf rattling by ground squirrels. It drove me crazy for a few minutes because I wasn't used to hearing all of these sounds. I eventually turned it down to keep my sanity. I still don't have hearing aids but I have considered getting tested and fitted but just keep putting it off. On a side note, when I'm hunting with a friend and he hears something, he'll motion to me to stop. By then, I've already spotted it and have to point it out for him. I guess my hearing loss has sharpened my peripheral vision so much that I can usually detect the slightest movement. This thread just might be the motivation I needed.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Homersboy, go for it. You fit the major criteria - being motivated.
Just be sure you understand your state's law as it applies to trial periods. It takes 2-3 months to know if they're going to work for you.

My hearing loss is congenital so my aids - which I first started wearing in my 40s - opened up a whole new world of nature for me. I love hearing birds and water. On the other hand, traffic and tv's and restaurant clatter are a major turn-off, how do people put up with that crap?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:04 PM

712 posts, read 555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I've had a noticeable hearing loss since childhood due to chronic ear infections. I was disqualified for military service in 1971 because of it. I love being in the woods in the fall of the year, perched high in a tree with my bow in hand but until just a few years ago, I didn't realize what I was missing because of my hearing loss. I picked up a cheap sound amplifier and put in in one morning. What was as quiet morning became a whole new experience for me. Crows calling back an forth on a distant ridge, squirrels barking down near the creek and all sorts of bird chirps and leaf rattling by ground squirrels. It drove me crazy for a few minutes because I wasn't used to hearing all of these sounds. I eventually turned it down to keep my sanity. I still don't have hearing aids but I have considered getting tested and fitted but just keep putting it off. On a side note, when I'm hunting with a friend and he hears something, he'll motion to me to stop. By then, I've already spotted it and have to point it out for him. I guess my hearing loss has sharpened my peripheral vision so much that I can usually detect the slightest movement. This thread just might be the motivation I needed.
Please if at all possible get hearing aids. You will be as awed as I am still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement