Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:54 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times

Advertisements

I have Starkey AIDS that fit completely in the canal. I live them. I have been wearing AIDS for the last 20 years. Com started with analog and converted to digital after my first pair - about 15 years ago. It is a night and day difference.

The analog felt like I was listening through a tin can. There was incessant whistling, whenever anything got near the microphone. Paper and other noses were magnified. I really didn't like them.

My current AIDS have five settings. It is very helpful for situations where people don't enunciate very clearly or you're sitting in a meeting where a microphone sent used (one of my pet peeves). The sound quality is excellent! I wear them pretty much during all my waking hours.

Unfortunately, my source isn't available to many of you. I got mine through the VA. My suggestion to anyone who needs them though, is to go for it. You will not regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
[quote=engineman;42701277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtley View Post
In addition what has been said above.

Is DH a veteran? If so he can have the VA fit him with aids for free.

Does this apply to all veterans? The VA classifies Vets according to when they served and whether they have service connected problems. There is also an income factor in the classification. I put in my time between the shooting wars and thus have a low priority classification.
I think you have to have hearing identified as the service connected disability to get this service. BTW, I did not serve during one of the "shooting wars," as you call them. The key is just to have the hearing las occur during your time in the service, and to have it recorded in your military records.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
My wife has them, and they have helped some. But she still misses a lot. I've know quite a few people who bought them, used them awhile and then quit. I think a lot of people have problems with them, especially in group settings.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Yep, but only $50. On pair four, the last being from Costco, 2.5 years ago. Best fit, the fine tuning to my specific hearing loss, best price and overall terrific value. I can walk into any Costco nationwide and get help, buy batteries, get free earwax guards. Can even get replacements if it came to that; on the spot. Very pleasant and professional folks. Other experience is all with private audiologists and while professional and highly trained, their business model is old school, out of date. Paid a third the price for high quality, Costco branded (but name brand manufacturers) and get far superior service and support.

Re the annoyance. Does take some getting use to, but like others have mentioned don't put it off to long. Honestly, I wear my 17-18 hours a day, just like my glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Do you need a Costco card to buy hearing aids or is it like their pharmacy? How much does a Costco card cost these days?

My wife tells me I have a hearing problem, but I have no problem understanding other people. I am reluctant to do anything about it. I fear that aids would annoy me a great deal.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM

Bad dog. The brain needs to get use to them for them to be effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I got mine from Costco and I like them but I have been using them like a special piece of jewelry....only when I leave the house. This defeats the purpose of making it easier on my family. I will be better now.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have them but they don't work all that well. There are situations where they don't work at all. I don't have a very high end type because I couldn't afford them but I think I am going to get out the old VISA card and do some serious charging to see if upgrading to a higher quality of hearing aid will make it better.

Another problem I have is that I can't tolerate them in my ears for a full day. I don't know why but they begin to itch after a while and I have to take them out.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Group settings, really any competing noise situation is always the toughest. Though digital aids do have 'crowd' compensation programs,some more automatic then others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife has them, and they have helped some. But she still misses a lot. I've know quite a few people who bought them, used them awhile and then quit. I think a lot of people have problems with them, especially in group settings.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM

That can be aggravating. There is a product called ProEar for irritated, itching ears, by Miracell that will help. Use sparingly. Got mine at Costco. I'm sure it is available other places or the inet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have them but they don't work all that well. There are situations where they don't work at all. I don't have a very high end type because I couldn't afford them but I think I am going to get out the old VISA card and do some serious charging to see if upgrading to a higher quality of hearing aid will make it better.

Another problem I have is that I can't tolerate them in my ears for a full day. I don't know why but they begin to itch after a while and I have to take them out.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM

To my knowledge all Costco aids are digital. Not a low budget, low function offering. Actually, they offer several different ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
For me for a long time I began to hate listening to music especially new songs because unless I could read the lyrics I had no idea what they were saying. I can finally understand the words. If Costco hearing aids are analog and not digital he may not be happy. After wearing both I am blown away at the difference. There really is no comparison.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:05 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I have a Seimens set that is Bluetooth compatible and connects to my iPhone (and to a mp3 player if I want). It is a big improvement as I was nearly useless in social situations. I was hearing the most outlandish things coming out of people's mouths that I didn't dare respond half the time. The brain is a marvelous thing and tries to fill in the gaps. Now there are days when I'm at home alone that I don't use them but most days I wear them. There are settings for TV or for privacy to turn down the sound, etc. Haven't said "What??" in a while. I learned that it wasn't just me....people mumble a lot and it wasn't always my fault. My insurance covered almost all of the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement