Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 03:37 PM

536 posts, read 844,941 times

Advertisements

I am not a member but don't follow their politics.

I don't think of my age as really constituting my identity and I don't as yet have any need for the discounts they offer because I am still working at 66. I dislike getting mail that tells me what I am supposed to be worried about because I am older. Usually I am more interested in childhood nutrition or world peace or something like that.

To consolidate a very large group for discounts is a great idea but I am not yet in the market for them and choose any money item after comparative research--though I've heard their prices are fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Nah..they are too political for me.

I get plenty of discounts with my AAA card.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am a proud AARP member at age 56 and I support most of what AARP stands for. AARP was a key supporter of the ACA which I believe was a necessary piece of legislation that has benefited millions.

On a more practical level, I am constantly getting discounts through AARP. I get significant discounts when I buy my teenager ice cream at Baskin and Robbins and pizza at Papa Johns. We like Papa Johns and I've probably saved myself $30 during the last year there alone. We sometimes eat at Denny's and they have a discount there too. Many hotels and rental car agencies offer discounts for AARP membership. So, even those opposed to the organization should consider what they are giving up.

I have a couple of politically conservative friends who may not share all of AARP's goals, but are happy to be members.

Finally, AARP offered a save driving program for seniors to help them save on car insurance rates. My father was a volunteer instructor in this program for many years before his death.

Don't be so negative about AARP. It is an organization that has done--and continues to do--much good in this country.
Even Planned Parenthood and Adolph Hitler did SOME good. It is the big picture that counts. Oh before anyone asks: Without Adolph Hitler the World would not have had the opportunity to drive a VW.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I just want to know how to get off their mailing list. We get a crapload of junk mail from them & have to haul our trash to the dump, so it's pretty expensive.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Even Planned Parenthood and Adolph Hitler did SOME good. It is the big picture that counts. Oh before anyone asks: Without Adolph Hitler the World would not have had the opportunity to drive a VW.

Nothing like bringing out the red herring and referring to Adolf Hitler. It shows the weakness of the argument.

And I don't even like the AARP.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
My Mother hooked up with them. She sent them their fees/dues every month, she was a "Notch baby" and they said "We're fighting to get you the money owed to you"

They never got it and she's dead. But she gave them way more than they ever were worth. That's why I would NEVER be a member.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
No, they are like pests.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-06-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 07:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
N E V E R would I give them a penny. I disagree with their political views. They might as well be a branch of the Democrat party.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Most of the time I find it is exactly it is the same discount for either if they take both, but at places that take just one or the other I find AAA is more common. We first got AARP on a special deal that lasted several years and had a specific purchase upcoming that we saved more on than the membership cost. My wife did a "renew early with special price and free gift" when the gift was something she actually wanted and uses. So money wise it has worked out for us. They do pound you with email and snail mail though.
Yes, you are right on AAA vs AARP - the discount is about the same. I just found that several popular hotel chains did not take AARP. Instead they offered senior discounts but you had to be 62 or 65. One was advertised as "Senior/AARP" but the minimum age was 60. So I did not find my AARP membership to be that useful for travel since I was in my 50's. I didn't try to use my AARP membership for rental car agencies since Costco has such good rates. Don't know if these are useful for airlines. I generally fly Southwest because they have nonstop flights to several places where I have family and I make reservations far ahead of time to get their best rates (and am member of their frequent flyer club so occasionally get a free flight).

Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
We don't belong. We almost never side with their political or social positions, and are not interested in contributing to their lobbying efforts.

If their discounts had any value to us, we might rethink. But Senior discounts are widely available, and we're AAA members. One or the other of those usually yields at least as good a discount as AARP's.

When we first turned 50, my husband immediately looked into membership because of the discounts. When he found out there were no discounts on his Tanqueray gin, he lost interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement