Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Europe and India have embraced homeopathic medicine. Not only is it regulated but some of it is covered by insurance as well.
The British royal family has long been treated by homeopathic physicians. I wish it was more widely available here in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Read this internet headline yesterday or the day before but didn't go deep into the article. I may get back to it.

What an alarming statistic. When you stratify the adult age brackets, my guess it is higher for "older" retired people like those who frequent here.

Comments?
Due to all my health issues, I take a whopping number of prescriptions either every day, or a few "as needed". Some, like the mentioned cholesterol and BP meds are almost obligatory as one ages.
Each year, My Dr.s and I go through my list and we try to pare it down as I don't like them all, but I suffer sometimes serious consequences if I drop a med. Having had some various 15 major surgeries doesn't help, with at least 3 more on the horizon-all for various different things, not a single problem.

So, armed with good insurance I pay for, I have to take them.

A couple have gone generic OTC, so I can get them supposedly "cheaper" but "more expensive" as OTC is usually higher than my co-pay.

I don't like being a walking pharmacy and some wonder how I keep track of all of them, well, I don't have much choice..and most are A M or P M taken only, with only a few @ 3 times a day as needed.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
St John's Wort, no matter how pure the origin, has many side effects and contraindications. I took it back in the 1990s and it blew my TSH (thyroid) levels sky-high: normal is up to about 4.0, mine was 58.0. The internist said it was the highest he had ever seen and immediately hospitalized me. I was having ataxia and memory blackouts. I was left permanently hypothyroid as a result. Luckily my prescription meds for that work really well.
Sorry that happened to you. It's important for us to bear in mind though that any substance can have wildly different effects on different people. I take supplemental magnesium for several imbalances and it works great for me, but I hear from a friend that it has adverse affects on her. Another two friends have totally managed their moderate depression with St Johnswort, with no side effects. Everyone's body chemistry is different.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I don't take any. Over the years I had a few but never one that was refilled.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:52 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
But often those living longer have chronic conditions so that their quality of life is severely diminished. Thinking of my in-laws who are both in their 80s. They have not been well since turning 60 and spend their old age dealing with chronic disease - diabetes, high bp, heart issues, anxiety, depression, chronic pain etc. The amount of meds they are on is astounding to me.
Went to a funeral of a 95 year old. Sounds impressive, but she was under 24/7 care for the last 18 years. One other attendee said she had cared for her dad for 20 years!! He also passed in his 90s

My mom was 88 before her health went wonky and she couldn't live alone. I hope I'm that lucky. And really, I will be happy with 70 years on this earth!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
50% of adults are female, and probably 95% of them are on some form of contraception at any given time. So 60% is a relatively low figure, especially once you add in 4% of men have asthma and 6% have migraines.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:16 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The British royal family has long been treated by homeopathic physicians. I wish it was more widely available here in the U.S.
It is, I have homepathic remedies piped into my house. On every floor I can open a valve to dispense wicked strong remedies like 1 in 1000000000 icthyous uranea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Old 11-07-2015, 11:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It is, I have homepathic remedies piped into my house. On every floor I can open a valve to dispense wicked strong remedies like 1 in 1000000000 icthyous uranea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

This was great, thanks!

Old 11-07-2015, 12:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I can't believe the number of people on this board who claim to be so cavalier about taking their prescribed meds. There's nothing cute, smart or noble about letting a medical condition go untreated.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:34 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
As a Primary Care R.N. I find the comments on this thread of great interest. I certainly respect the beliefs of those who feel prescription medication is akin to arsenic, and having had one foot in complimentary healthcare modalities, and the other in the allopathic model of care for many years, I fully understand how you feel but must let you know that many "natural" supplements taken as a substitute for prescription medication also have their risks. Two patients come to mind that have experienced very negative effects self treating with these so called natural supplements. One patient chose without the knowledge of his doctor to take Red Rice Yeast as an alternative to prescription cholesterol reduction medication as he feared the potential side effects statin medications can an do produce in some patients. But this patient was not aware that Red Rice Yeast also can negatively impact liver functioning, and he learned that only after his skin turned the color of a Cheeto and his LFTs were off the charts. Another patient I know skin is a permanent death grey color from long term over use of ingesting Colloidal Silver. For those who choose the non allopathic healthcare path, I can't recommend enough to do so under the guidance of a naturopathic physician. Naturopathic physicians are very educated in both models of care, and for those who want to combine both prescription medication with natural supplements their guidance is invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement