U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to everyone that has shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Well, if I had known that my relationship with my husband would be judged by the order in which I listed him in my post I would have taken much more care in how I phrased what I wrote!
The important thing to remember is that this is the internet. No matter how carefully you phrase things, someone will judge it incorrectly. And the odds are also high that a person who judges you is actually just some bored little 20-something posing as a retiree. They get a cheap thrill out of trying to trip up the old folks.

Not saying this was necessarily the case here, but I don't give too much creedence to judgmental comments made by anyone the first time they visit this site. I wait until someone has established himself as a regular on the retirement forum and has posted enough that I can develop a sense of who that person really is.

The other thing to remember is that you can't hear the tone of voice when people are writing. Sometimes people write light hearted comments--and because you can't hear the laughter in their voice the reader takes it in a different way. (But I think you already know this, since you seem to have a good sense of humor about it all. Glad to see you're not taking it personally, that's the important thing.)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Smile Just kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Did read that Leorah's husband was not yet retired. Still stand by my limited observastion.QUOTE "Sun exercise outdoors with DOGS and HUSBAND" Should be with HUSBAND and dogs in that order. Also," Out to dinner with friends IF!!! HUSBAND DOESN'T PLAY TENNIS. How quaint!!. Different wardrobe is needed to play tennis or to go out for dinner. They don't work hand in hand. I am not snooty or anything just an obervation into someones schedules and PRIORITY. I have two large dogs, father and son and they do not need me for play time as they have romp around each other. Stefhen

Stefhen, you should add to your activities:

Reading forums and finding something to bring rain on someone's shining day.
Do you build rain making machines as a hobby?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,579,200 times
I dream of a schedule like hers. Enjoy!!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,910,412 times
A week in my life is not static but dynamic: one week I might explore several towns near my new community; interview folks for several articles I'm writing, or just look out the window and watch the deer and the birds or admire the landscape as it changes with the presence of snow, the absence of snow, and study the changes that indicate the possibility of warmer weather in the near future.

Today I slept in, a rarity, and have just been reading a watercolour book, and pondering whether or not I have the necessary palette, and paint to follow an experiment in colour that appeals to me. I also am sorting my books, by category, and in different rooms. Several will be offered to a local literacy program I visited last week in a neighbouring town.

I would be out and about, today, but the weather has been awful, and it is unlikely I'll find myself much farther than the back-door.

Next week undoubtedly will look different as deadlines are approaching, and leisure decreased but in retirement the schedule is mine to make and mine to keep.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
A typical week:
Monday: Ride recumbent bike 11 miles, throw in a load of laundry, play with/walk the dogs. Answer email for volunteer organization. Work in jewelry studio. After dinner, spend time with husband (not retired yet) and play on the computer for an hour.
Tuesday: Ride recumbent bike 11 miles, play with/walk dogs. Answer email for volunteer organization. Work in garden/do lawn work. Do booking for singer-songwriter friend. Check investments. Spend evening with husband and dogs.
Wednesday: Ride 11 miles. Play with/walk dogs, do house chores. Answer email for volunteer organization. Grocery shop, run errands. Volunteer for dog rescue group. Go out to dinner with husband and once every two months attend theatrical event
Thursday: Ride 11 miles. Answer email for volunteer organization. Play with/walk dogs. Work in jewelry studio. Out to dinner with friends if husband doesn't play tennis.
Friday: Ride 11 miles. Play with/walk dogs. Volunteer for dog rescue group. House chores. Work in jewelry studio in afternoon. Prepare for evening Religious services.
Saturday: Religious services followed by lunch with friends. Spend day with husband and friends. Attend musical or theatrical performance in evening.
Sunday: Leisurely lunch with husband. Exercise outdoors with dogs and husband. Visit museums and art galleries. Once a month attend board meeting of volunteer organization and dog rescue group. Once a month breakfast meeting with singer/songwriter to discuss bookings and performance schedule.

Whew, makes me tired just thinking of it! I'm busier now than when I was working!
At 11 miles a day, you do 4,015 miles a year. I think that's more miles than I put on my car this past year.

I have friends who once walked for exercise. They said they couldn't just walk for the sake of walking so they walked to Carvel.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
At 11 miles a day, you do 4,015 miles a year. I think that's more miles than I put on my car this past year.
Wow, never thought about it that way. I've been racking up the mileage myself, wonder what it's doing to my Blue Book value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I have friends who once walked for exercise. They said they couldn't just walk for the sake of walking so they walked to Carvel.
Now that's I call incentive!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,035,136 times
Wow, I hadn't even considered the total mileage! Actually, come warmer weather I'll probably reduce the miles and walk more. Where I live we don't have sidewalks and that, combined with raw New England weather, isn't conducive to much walking during the winter months. My husband and I foster dogs for a rescue group and playing with them in the yard isn't as good as walking them around until they're tired. I wish we did have an ice cream store close by, but the motivation of getting dogs tired enough to sleep quietly all night is sufficient motivation for me right now. One of our goals is to get the dogs to allow us to sleep in a bit on weekends. Ontheroad has the right idea there!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 PM

183 posts, read 312,840 times
I saw this in the similar threads listing and opened it up. Other than the judgemental thread hijack, it was pretty interesting. Then I saw the dates. 2008!! Too bad it died. Good info for those folks that don't think they will find stuff to do in retirement. I am a couple months short of retirement, but I'll post up my dream week to get this going again:

Sunday: If its fall, then football. If not, probably spend time with my kids, work on my restoring my Jeep, yard work, whatever. Stay home and avoid the crowds.

Monday - Friday: Most days get up, make a little breakfast and coffee, then spend an hour or so reading news, posting to my blogs, reading and posting on forums. Some days, I will then do some work on one of the books I am writing until 1:00 or so, get some lunch, then either continue writing or engage in some recreational activity (practice guitar, do a little modeling, work on Jeep, etc.) Get the kids from school help them with home work, then make dinner and then hang out with family. My wife works part-time from home so we will eat lunch together, take a walk with the dog at some point (depending on weather) and I will do Tae Bo or lift weights at some point a few days a week. Go to bed when I'm tired.

A couple of days a week I will either go fly fishing or golfing. Some days the wife and I will play hooky and go see a movie or go out to lunch or go hiking while the kids are in school. When the kids are out of school for summer, we will go on family outings (camping, golf, fishing, hiking, movies, etc.) and play in the pool (wal-mart special) in addition to my writing and other activities. Whew, I will be busy!

Saturday: Same as Sunday, except we will go on family outings when the kids are in school.

If I end up with a normal part-time or seasonal job, I will fit that in there too. On top of everything else, I have a loundry list of things I want to try (surfing, photography, brewing beer, backpacking, etc.). All I know is that work is cramping my style!!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I saw this in the similar threads listing and opened it up. A couple of days a week I will either go fly fishing or golfing.
Flyfishing - When I was out with my camera on a weekday, this past March, I saw something I had never seen before. A flyfisherman in his waders was sitting in the middle of the water (think river), legs crossed having a cigarette while fishing. I thought it was so funny I took a photo of him which I would post except he didn't know he was having his picture taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement