Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times

Advertisements

Some posters on tight incomes have said they're considering living with roommates in order to afford a better place than they can get on their own income.

Since we're 60 and already own a house, but are concerned about being able to afford it as we age, I'm wondering what would be an acceptable roommate situation for most people.

For example, we're non-smoking, health conscious vegetarians...some people appreciate that, others would prefer a smoke, a steak, and a good stiff drink. Would you share a house with a couple? Strangers, or a friend or family member you already know?

Let's explore this as a possible alternative to isolation and financial distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I hope not to be in that situation. But if I were, some of that would depend on the living arrangements. Will the tenant have their own living area separate from yours or will it just be a room with shared common areas (kitchen, bath, living room?)

If separate, then things like meat eating and personal habits if not too obnoxious are less important, tho I would always insist on a non-smoker. If shared, then it becomes a lot harder it becomes the more different a person's habits and the more you want someone who is more a friend than not. Similar neatness habits are also important.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I would insist that they carry an insurance policy to cover your home for damages. You may want to have an attorney draw up your lease agreement. We live in such a scary world now. Best of luck

Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would insist that they carry an insurance policy to cover your home for damages. You may want to have an attorney draw up your lease agreement. We live in such a scary world now. Best of luck
Whoa! Thanks for your input but I'm not looking for a roomy today!

Quite a few older people in the retirement forum have mentioned considering this as an option. You both make good points; that's what I wanted, but I have other plans for the weekend (unless Halle Berry responds).

Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Some posters on tight incomes have said they're considering living with roommates in order to afford a better place than they can get on their own income.

Since we're 60 and already own a house, but are concerned about being able to afford it as we age, I'm wondering what would be an acceptable roommate situation for most people.

For example, we're non-smoking, health conscious vegetarians...some people appreciate that, others would prefer a smoke, a steak, and a good stiff drink. Would you share a house with a couple? Strangers, or a friend or family member you already know?

Let's explore this as a possible alternative to isolation and financial distress.
My house is a ranch style and I designed it with two master suites on separate ends. The idea is to take in a room-mate at some point.
This person would have to have a good income, be self-supporting, and non-smoking. I would strongly prefer a room-mate I could have a good rib-eye with, and that would enjoy sharing a bottle of wine.

Specifically, I am thinking of a single, educated female with no more than one pet (a golden retriever), no children, and with hobbies of gardening and house cleaning. Although I am 61 years old, I don't believe in age discrimination. Therefore, a women several years my junior, who is also a massage therapist and nudist would be acceptable.

PS I have not reached consensus on this demographic with my wife yet.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,743 times
I just knew this thread would head south as soon as I saw it go up. Although you did it with good style, gls!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Good question. Yes, you would want to cover all bases as suggested. I believe it would work. If I were in such a situation, I would want to really get to know the other person and ensure that we have very similar life styles and habits. I would also do a background check. In the process of doing this, ensure that the person's SSN is valid. You would be amazed how many are not.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
PS I have not reached consensus on this demographic with my wife yet.
Your wife may have her own ideas about what she'd like in a roommate.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:24 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Your wife may have her own ideas about what she'd like in a roommate.
My wife's primary prerequisite attribute for a roommate is a sense of humor.
However, just in case, your post has been deleted from my computer.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default Roomies

To me the worst part would be having to share a kitchen. THAT'S where your lifestyles can conflict. I rented to a vegan college student once. She cooked six times a day (they're always hungry) and left crusty chunks of brown rice all over the stove. On the other hand I rented to a fellow who spent all his time at the gym and lived solely on Healthy Choice cereal right out of the box. He was perfect!! I would suggest a formal rental agreement but not a lease. Keep it month-to-month. More and more people will be doing this as the recession worsens and renting with others is a great way to meet people if you're moving to a new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement