Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's not the same for everyone, but I will say that during my working years I always felt that "my" life was the 2 days a week wedged in between the 5 days of work.

^^^^ This.

Yes it is a waste of my life working in a field I do not enjoy. But it paid the most and that's why I chose it. It has enabled me to buy a home, amass savings and hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and I will have a great life then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM

554 posts, read 745,375 times
... The last year (or so) has been a lot more 'fun' at work, than the previous umpty-nine years!
Since I've become a "contractor-temp", I've taken-on the mindset that, at any minute, the powers that be could come up to me and walk my old butt to the door. So, I developed a bit of a thicker "hide" and loosened-up my "career-minded attitude" ... That's led to a lot more laughs while on the job.
But(!) ... I'm definitely looking forward to that day when I can drive past this multi-national corporation and not feel compelled to think about what they're paying me for (because they won't be). I especially hope to do that on the day we move-away from here, so I can "thumb my nose" at every company building we pass!
THEN, I'll really be living!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,791 times
By San Francisco standards, I lived quite well during my working years, albeit the 60 to 80 hour work weeks.

Decided that enough was enough some 5 years ago. Now, I never imagined that retirement could be this rewarding.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I enjoyed a lot of freedom during my career (with different companies) -- to come and go as I pleased, work on things I defined and wanted to work on, set my own schedules, etc.. Nevertheless, I always had to produce results and was 'beholden' to someone.

Now that I'm retired, I still have the freedom to do what I want, when I want - but, I'm no longer obligated to anyone else for the results (or much of anything else). I certainly enjoy the freedom of retirement more than the 'freedom of working.'

My 'freedom' and enjoyment of life hasn't ever been directly tied to work or retirement. It was my choice to work so that I could pay for a nice home, support my family, educate my kids and pay my bills. Now that the house is long paid off, the family is comfortable, the kids are raised - educated and doing well, and the bills are easily covered ... I enjoy retirement, more than the career.
I'm hoping my life plays out like this, and that I can enjoy my retirement. I've made the same family choices as jghorton, and have no regrets. I'm 36 and nowhere near retiring, but this morning I was playing with my 22 month old daughter and having a blast just making her laugh. My 4yr old son hugs me when I go to work and when I get home. I have a loving wife who I adore completely. I'm setting aside enough between my 401k and IRA to where we should have enough of a nest egg for retirement, and living off my income until she goes back to work. When that happens, I expect to put all of her income to early debt payoffs and retirement.

That said, I am really trying to cherish moments like this morning for the joys they bring, and to say I won't start living until I retire seems like it would diminish the joys & rewards my young family bring me.

Sorry if I'm intruding on the retirement forum. I just saw the thread title and felt compelled to reply to remind people that there's a lot to enjoy in various stages of life.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM

720 posts, read 765,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm hoping my life plays out like this, and that I can enjoy my retirement. I've made the same family choices as jghorton, and have no regrets. I'm 36 and nowhere near retiring, but this morning I was playing with my 22 month old daughter and having a blast just making her laugh. My 4yr old son hugs me when I go to work and when I get home. I have a loving wife who I adore completely. I'm setting aside enough between my 401k and IRA to where we should have enough of a nest egg for retirement, and living off my income until she goes back to work. When that happens, I expect to put all of her income to early debt payoffs and retirement.

That said, I am really trying to cherish moments like this morning for the joys they bring, and to say I won't start living until I retire seems like it would diminish the joys & rewards my young family bring me.

Sorry if I'm intruding on the retirement forum. I just saw the thread title and felt compelled to reply to remind people that there's a lot to enjoy in various stages of life.
What a lovely post, and thank you! You seem to have your priorities in order, may you continue to enjoy the various stages of life!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post

Absolutely no intrusion! You have done an excellent job of reminding us all of why we spent so many years working. Thank you.

Another thing our retirement savings and lifestyle have enabled us to do now - is set significant funds aside for the grandkids (5) college funds. Education is getting really expensive these days and, with our kids and grandkids ages, things like college and weddings will hit them in the pocketbook - about the same time as they (our kids) are getting ready to retire.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM

720 posts, read 765,777 times
I've probably got about ten years to retirement, health elements notwithstanding.

Because I've been reading this board for the last 7 months and availing myself of the wisdom here, I realize the necessity (for me at least) to have some sort of plan of how I'll be occupying my time. I admit I suck without some structure and there's definitely no shame to my game. This past weekend I was muddling around when I realized that "this is what you'll be doing when retired, but more of it".

There are a number of things I feel I want to do but don't really have the time for right now, it will be interesting to see how that changes with retirement. Could be quite the adventure!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times
I enjoyed most of my career but there were stressful times. Working in a nonprofit, a lot depends on donations & if they were down, the possibility of being laid off was present. Two jobs I was sure I would retire from were hit hard. One was after 9/11 when so many donations went (rightfully) to New York, the second when the recession hit.

But I had a lot of satisfaction in knowing each day I helped people. Except for the stressful times, I was glad I'd chosen the path I had.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
In the book, Working, author Studs Terkel reminded us that "work" isn't a one dimensional thing and therefore can't be discussed in any meaningful way until all have had their opportunity to speak to the individual experiences garnered in that world of work. Heaven or Hell, it just depends on your experience.

For many, the work experience was a grueling slog of torturous repetition extended over many years, thus,retirement was looked upon as a kind of release, not unlike a prisoner walking into his freedom after years of involuntary incarceration. This view exists right along side those whose lives were fulfilled by their work, or at the least, experiencing their work as something that posed no major disagreement to them.

I personally love the fact of my time being so flexible, I've slowed down, way down from those days of serving in the machine. When I am out and about I'm also more aware of those who are still working, and upon meeting them in their job I try hard to say something to show my appreciation for what they do.

All work is meaningful and all work should be respected, that alone would go a long way toward creating a different work paradigm. I really hate to hear the denigrating language used in reference to some kinds of work, "burger flipper," "cart pusher," or any of the many pejoratives used to describe the work that many of our fellow Americans do every day. My own working experience would have been more tolerable if everyone would think about the way they are treating others.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,955 times
I now sort of know how my former boss felt when she retired. When I was hired she told me - "4 years and I'm out" but then the recession hit. She left instead 9 years after I started - had plans to build a house in a remote area and take up quilting.

Well, it's now been almost 6 years and the house is not yet built.

Yes, she's quilting.

Sometimes the best laid plans? Never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement