Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

I'd do due diligence on the rabbit raising. Raising livestock or pets will limit your activities. Maybe that's what your DH is concerned about. Make sure you really want to plunge ahead.

As to dumpster diving, I think it could be an interesting activity, but you should know the local laws about whether this is legal. After you do it a few times you might be cured or further interest. Or not. You never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
We have a sort of dumpster diving here in our small community. The town has a large trash/brush collection several times a year.

People put things out several days ahead. Lots of people stop and go through the things and cart them off. Some good things are put out there.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Good for personal reuse? Or reselling (at a profit)? I put stuff like old garden hoses that are covered with mildew at the curb on garbage days. And neighborhood working people - like lawn guys - will pick them up. OK by me. But I could never sell this stuff on Ebay for anything. Not even 99 cents. Robyn

Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Good for personal reuse? Or reselling (at a profit)? I put stuff like old garden hoses that are covered with mildew at the curb on garbage days. And neighborhood working people - like lawn guys - will pick them up. OK by me. But I could never sell this stuff on Ebay for anything. Not even 99 cents. Robyn
Both, probably. My neighbor put out some cute end tables.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:40 PM

720 posts, read 766,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The answer is everyone knows what things are worth. Unless they've been living in a cave . And people tend to specialize (e.g., my brother specializes in a certain kind of collector minerals). I've actually sold 100+ things on Ebay over the years. My own stuff. Mostly mid-century modern household goods that I didn't use anymore (I haven't sold the best stuff - which I still use). But also things like old records (I had about 100 - 5 brought good/excellent money - the remaining 95 were worth a total of about $10 - and I sold them to a local dealer). Even an edge trimmer that we no longer used. Got pretty good prices for some of these things.

And I'm not saying there aren't lots of people like me. But the good stuff on Ebay isn't found in dumpsters. People sell their own stuff. Or people pick up things at estate or yard sales for resale (although most of the better stuff is pretty much "picked over" by the time it gets to estate or yard sales by owners or estate sale agents). So - by the time something winds up in the dumpster - it is probably junk. I suppose there are 10 people out there who have never heard of the internet and Ebay who might throw something of value into a dumpster. But I wouldn't spend my time looking for that "needle in a haystack".

Also - when it comes to collectibles and other items - condition matters a whole lot in terms of what things are worth. I buy some old/discontinued items on Ebay these days. Often to replace things I already own. For example - I had an electric knife from the 70's that I loved - but the blades got dull. So I bought a "new" one on Ebay - and it really was "new" - never used - in the original box (the owner was someone my age who was downsizing who got it as a wedding present). Cost all of $14.99 (including shipping). A used knife like that in good condition might cost $2.99 on Ebay (plus shipping - the seller will mark up the shipping a little and make a few dollars on the shipping). I will occasionally break a dish in a set I already own - and will buy a replacement on Ebay. I will always wait for an item in excellent (preferably unused) condition. You're not likely to find items in good ---> excellent condition in dumpsters. Also - if you misrepresent the condition of an item you're selling on Ebay - that is a good way to get a bad reputation fast. And insure that you'll never be a successful seller.

FWIW - Ebay used to be very friendly for small sellers like me. It has become considerably less friendly in recent years - especially in the payment area. These days - I wouldn't consider selling anything on Ebay unless it was worth at least $50 (my old minimum used to be about $25). I'd rather give it away to a household employee or donate it to Goodwill. One thing that's important if you want to sell stuff on Ebay is having an almost inexhaustible supply of free shipping materials (they're expensive in stores). I buy so much stuff on line that that was never an issue for me. You have to be a good packer when it comes to fragile things too - you won't get paid for things that arrive broken.

I have liked Ebay - both as a seller and a buyer - over the years. But the notion that it's an easy way to make a lot of money because people don't know what they're buying or selling was never true IMO - and is certainly outdated now (especially since shows like Antiques Roadshow are so popular). Robyn

P.S. If you ever run across anything you think - even suspect - might be really valuable - do not put it up for auction on Ebay without researching it. My late FIL had an item like that. A very exotic 19th century silver tea biscuit jar. After doing some research - I figured out it was worth a pretty penny (exactly how many pennies I didn't know). So I got in touch with major auction houses. Christie's gave us the best deal as sellers - and it wound up being sold at auction for $15,000. 19th century silver isn't my thing - but it was an interesting experience.

Never said it was an easy way to make money, because it never has been, but to people who might be "pickers" and I think Vicky might be, it can be fun.

It has never been the kind of thing that everyone has the appetite for, and if you think everyone knows what something is worth well, we'll just agree to disagree.

Everyone doesn't sell in the rarified antiques and collectibles category, and the real finds, many of which can be found in dumpsters because people will throw anything away, are the things that seem worthless, but are needed or wanted by someone...other than you.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I don't do it here, but when I lived in the city I would put things out that were still good but I had bought replacements as my tastes changed. If they weren't taken away then I put them on the free site. Sometimes it's easier to do rather than bring them to a thrift store.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Default Dumpster diving

I'm not sure if I should wade in, but here goes.

In our area, there are plenty of dumpsters with discarded packaging. We have a Michaels close by as well and sometimes they throw out useful crafty things.

But we don't go looking into dumpsters as much as we used to. Someone mentioned broken glass and other sharp things -- definitely a consideration. And there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem of people using store dumpsters as their own personal dump sites. Believe me, that stuff is crap.

Mainly we don't do it because there are people who eke out a subsistence living going through the dumpsters. They have regular routes. They are territorial. When it comes down to raiding the dumpster so your kids can eat, well, I'm not going to mess with those people. They recycle cardboard, aluminum cans, newsprint and anything else they can make a dollar on.

Re: backyard chickens

It sounds great. Costco even sells coops for backyard chickens. My SIL has kept chickens and other livestock on her 2 acres for many years. She has fun with the chickens. She had a custom coop built with warming lamps, installed a crystal chandelier and put up motivational posters to "egg" the chickens on. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Still, most of the flock she had a year ago has been taken by predators. Everybody loves chicken, it seems. And sometimes a chicken dies for no apparent reason.

If you are the kind of person who bonds with food animals, it could cause heartbreak.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not sure if I should wade in, but here goes.

In our area, there are plenty of dumpsters with discarded packaging. We have a Michaels close by as well and sometimes they throw out useful crafty things.

But we don't go looking into dumpsters as much as we used to. Someone mentioned broken glass and other sharp things -- definitely a consideration. And there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem of people using store dumpsters as their own personal dump sites. Believe me, that stuff is crap.

Mainly we don't do it because there are people who eke out a subsistence living going through the dumpsters. They have regular routes. They are territorial. When it comes down to raiding the dumpster so your kids can eat, well, I'm not going to mess with those people. They recycle cardboard, aluminum cans, newsprint and anything else they can make a dollar on.

Re: backyard chickens

It sounds great. Costco even sells coops for backyard chickens. My SIL has kept chickens and other livestock on her 2 acres for many years. She has fun with the chickens. She had a custom coop built with warming lamps, installed a crystal chandelier and put up motivational posters to "egg" the chickens on. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Still, most of the flock she had a year ago has been taken by predators. Everybody loves chicken, it seems. And sometimes a chicken dies for no apparent reason.

If you are the kind of person who bonds with food animals, it could cause heartbreak.
And if they don't get eaten by predators, what are you going to do with them when they get old? Will you be able to kill and clean them? Cook them? We did that growing up and the smell of wet feathers is something that has stuck with me forever. Maybe why I am finicky about chicken?

Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
The Henopause problem :

You Absolutely Should Not Get Backyard Chickens

Robyn

Old 11-25-2015, 06:37 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And if they don't get eaten by predators, what are you going to do with them when they get old? Will you be able to kill and clean them? Cook them? We did that growing up and the smell of wet feathers is something that has stuck with me forever. Maybe why I am finicky about chicken?
If I had chickens, I would let them live out their lives. They did their jobs in providing eggs for me and now they can retire just like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement