Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,266,591 times

Advertisements

On relocation to FL vs TN
Ai live in Orlando but stay with my family in Knoxville. I fare better in Fl health wise than I have in Knoxville.

In the Cumberland Tennessee valley I suffer from the cold and dampness and get acute respiratory illnesses each time I visit. In Orlando I have skin problems of various sorts

Therefore recommend that you take a nice loong visit in any location to see how you do. Health and comfort are important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Hubby currently cuts our grass on a riding mower but we do have a landscaper who does the heavy work. Matter of fact our landscaper was here today cleaning up our leaf covered yard which the $400 this service cost is pretty reasonable around here.

Robyn, would love to know about your area as Florida is definitely on our relocation radar.
Although we have a relatively large lot (3/4 acre) - we don't have enough grass to justify a riding mower (most of the property is trees with no grass).

What would you like to know about this area? When we first moved here - we were typical of new residents. Younger retired people. Today - all of our new neighbors are young families with children - attracted by the school system. We're now the oldest people on our block.

I still find the specific area where I live - Ponte Vedra Beach - attractive for younger active retired people. Lots of things to do outside. Golf - tennis - bike riding - running - kayaking - etc. Health care is close and excellent. Although it can be pricey depending on one's particular situation (including whether you're pre-Medicare or on Medicare). We have been impressed with the residential senior facilities our elderly parents have used at/near the end of their lives here (both of our fathers moved here after we moved here). Shopping is close - and fine (except we don't have the real high end stuff like Neiman Marcus). The restaurant scene is ok - but I am fussy about dining and find a lot of it disappointing.

There are enough activities for most people. Various clubs - places of worship in all flavors - groups that do charitable things - places to volunteer and the like.

Parts of the metro area are interesting/have interesting places to visit - and some have some better restaurants than we do. Downtown hosts many events. We have the Jaguars - a AA baseball team - an excellent concert/theater hall - etc. But - overall - downtown is a disappointing non-vibrant place these days (you can read numerous threads about it on the JAX forum).

It is hot in the summer (as is just about everywhere in the east south of Canada in the summer IMO). Summer lasts from May through September. I don't like the colder days we get in the winter (low of 48 this morning - high close to 60). OTOH - we will be back in the 70's later this week (which I do like). Spring and fall are very nice. We are definitely not in the sub-tropical part of Florida.

The area has grown a lot in 20 years. And traffic has gotten worse (although it is still "minor league" compared to places like Miami or other parts of the US). We are close to major roads - like I-95. And the airport (JAX) is pretty good. Easy to get to almost everywhere in the world with 1 stop (which for us is usually Atlanta).

The area - at least the nicer parts - has also gotten more expensive. PVB used to be a bargain IMO. It isn't today. Florida has no state income tax (in comparison - the Tennessee tax on interest on dividends and interest would hit us hard). Our local property taxes are middle of the road for Florida (about 1.3% of our assessed valuation). Anything else you'd like to know? Robyn

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,611,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Thank you for providing the info I requested. Aside from currently paying much more on property taxes, a little more on home owner's insurance likely being attributed to being in a hurricane zone, electric, heat, water, etc. pretty much the same. What draws me to communities like Tellico Villages and The Villages in Florida etc., are the active adult amenities these communities offer. Lots to think about and I see lots of various community visits over the next several years. Thanks again for your input.
You're welcome. Our POA (property owner assoc) fees are currently $112/month. You didn't ask, but I thought I would let you know. That covers things like street maintenance, street lighting, yard waste pick up, general maintenance for village amenities, and subsidies for the clubhouse restaurants and yacht club (to keep menu prices low). Other major amenities like the Wellness Center, golf, and boat docks are "a la carte", in other words you pay if that is something you use, and not if you don't. The amazing number of clubs and interest groups (well over a hundred) allows people to make friends and find people that you mesh well with. The people here are so amazingly friendly and outgoing, and overwhelmingly happy about where they have chosen to live. Come visit soon. I recommend renting a place for a week or so. You can check Key Rentals for homes available for short term rental, or do one of the Discovery Packages through our POA. I would wait until spring though, to see the Tellico Village at it's best, and allow you full use of the golf and lake facilities.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,975,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You're welcome. Our POA (property owner assoc) fees are currently $112/month. You didn't ask, but I thought I would let you know. That covers things like street maintenance, street lighting, yard waste pick up, general maintenance for village amenities, and subsidies for the clubhouse restaurants and yacht club (to keep menu prices low). Other major amenities like the Wellness Center, golf, and boat docks are "a la carte", in other words you pay if that is something you use, and not if you don't. The amazing number of clubs and interest groups (well over a hundred) allows people to make friends and find people that you mesh well with. The people here are so amazingly friendly and outgoing, and overwhelmingly happy about where they have chosen to live. Come visit soon. I recommend renting a place for a week or so. You can check Key Rentals for homes available for short term rental, or do one of the Discovery Packages through our POA. I would wait until spring though, to see the Tellico Village at it's best, and allow you full use of the golf and lake facilities.

DW and I are scheduled to visit TV April 21. If anyone is looking to go in the spring Mar/Apr/May they will take Discovery packages for March in December, Jan for April time frame, and Feb for the May time. Just as an FYI.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 AM

34,812 posts, read 30,860,538 times
I would choose a smaller city along the FL coast. FL is more cosmopolitan, better weather in winter (TN can also get very hot/humid in summer), but more expensive.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think it's always best to see areas in the worst seasons - not the best ones. Unless you only want to live in a place part time when the weather is good. Of course - you can see places in the best seasons too. But the issue is usually whether you can stand the worst ones.

I am not at all familiar with the community you're talking about. But I am personally allergic to subsidizing anything - including restaurants - in a condo or HOA (having had a bad experience with subsidies in a condo I used to live in). I would also be very careful looking at the relationship between homeowners and amenities like golf courses. What homeowners could legally be obligated to pay in the future - if anything - for them.

If I were interested in this community - I would certainly follow up on stories like this one:

Tellico Village layoffs prompt finance questions - News Sentinel Story

It is often very hard to get reliable information about the finances of condos and HOAs. But - no matter where I was planning to move - I would certainly try to get as much information as I could lay my hands on.

FWIW - I too live in a HOA with private roads. And repaving - which is necessary every once in a while - is very expensive. It's important that a condo/HOA is collecting/maintaining adequate reserves to pay for things like this (Florida has a lot of laws about condo/HOA reserves - don't know about Tennessee). Robyn

Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM

P.S. In my link above - from 2011 - the number of properties that were delinquent in terms of paying HOA assessments was over 10% of all properties. I find that hard to believe. I've lived in fairly large condos/HOAs since 1973 - and have never seen a delinquency rate over 1%. Also - in my current HOA - we are very aggressive when it comes to deadbeats (we do everything from filing lawsuits to suspending certain privileges - like the ability to use the automated "bar code lanes" at the gates).

Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,072,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Although we have a relatively large lot (3/4 acre) - we don't have enough grass to justify a riding mower (most of the property is trees with no grass).

What would you like to know about this area? When we first moved here - we were typical of new residents. Younger retired people. Today - all of our new neighbors are young families with children - attracted by the school system. We're now the oldest people on our block.

I still find the specific area where I live - Ponte Vedra Beach - attractive for younger active retired people. Lots of things to do outside. Golf - tennis - bike riding - running - kayaking - etc. Health care is close and excellent. Although it can be pricey depending on one's particular situation (including whether you're pre-Medicare or on Medicare). We have been impressed with the residential senior facilities our elderly parents have used at/near the end of their lives here (both of our fathers moved here after we moved here). Shopping is close - and fine (except we don't have the real high end stuff like Neiman Marcus). The restaurant scene is ok - but I am fussy about dining and find a lot of it disappointing.

There are enough activities for most people. Various clubs - places of worship in all flavors - groups that do charitable things - places to volunteer and the like.

Parts of the metro area are interesting/have interesting places to visit - and some have some better restaurants than we do. Downtown hosts many events. We have the Jaguars - a AA baseball team - an excellent concert/theater hall - etc. But - overall - downtown is a disappointing non-vibrant place these days (you can read numerous threads about it on the JAX forum).

It is hot in the summer (as is just about everywhere in the east south of Canada in the summer IMO). Summer lasts from May through September. I don't like the colder days we get in the winter (low of 48 this morning - high close to 60). OTOH - we will be back in the 70's later this week (which I do like). Spring and fall are very nice. We are definitely not in the sub-tropical part of Florida.

The area has grown a lot in 20 years. And traffic has gotten worse (although it is still "minor league" compared to places like Miami or other parts of the US). We are close to major roads - like I-95. And the airport (JAX) is pretty good. Easy to get to almost everywhere in the world with 1 stop (which for us is usually Atlanta).

The area - at least the nicer parts - has also gotten more expensive. PVB used to be a bargain IMO. It isn't today. Florida has no state income tax (in comparison - the Tennessee tax on interest on dividends and interest would hit us hard). Our local property taxes are middle of the road for Florida (about 1.3% of our assessed valuation). Anything else you'd like to know? Robyn

Thanks for providing this info as it is very helpful to get the scoop from folks who live in areas of interest.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,611,811 times
Quote:
I think it's always best to see areas in the worst seasons - not the best ones. Unless you only want to live in a place part time when the weather is good. Of course - you can see places in the best seasons too. But the issue is usually whether you can stand the worst ones.

I am not at all familiar with the community you're talking about. But I am personally allergic to subsidizing anything - including restaurants - in a condo or HOA (having had a bad experience with subsidies in a condo I used to live in). I would also be very careful looking at the relationship between homeowners and amenities like golf courses. What homeowners could legally be obligated to pay in the future - if anything - for them.

If I were interested in this community - I would certainly follow up on stories like this one:

It is often very hard to get reliable information about the finances of condos and HOAs. But - no matter where I was planning to move - I would certainly try to get as much information as I could lay my hands on.

FWIW - I too live in a HOA with private roads. And repaving - which is necessary every once in a while - is very expensive. It's important that a condo/HOA is collecting/maintaining adequate reserves to pay for things like this (Florida has a lot of laws about condo/HOA reserves - don't know about Tennessee). Robyn
The article you linked is from 2011. Tellico Village has been an ongoing, ever-growing community for over 25 years. The finances are an open book. We receive budget and expense information quarterly in a newsletter to all residents, both on-line and in printed format. The POA are residents many of whom are retired executives from large corporations around the country, who are elected by the other residents. The loan mentioned in the article was actually used to build our state of the art fitness center and was paid off early. Businesses often need to take on loans to build facilities. In every community there are a few people who are unhappy and I think the gentleman who is repeatedly quoted in this article is one of those. There aren't many here who agree with his views. Fortunately this is America and he is free to voice opinions.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM

6,509 posts, read 6,975,288 times
Quote:

I just read this article. Honestly I saw nothing in there that would give me pause as to considering any move to that community. As far as HOA or POA fees these seem pretty tame. Delweb is looking for more in many of its communities. Reading through it sounds like he is a disgruntled resident. He could sell his property if he don't want to stay there. Being a Ford Executive he probably owns one of those $1.2 mil houses on the water. He can get that back easily as long as he has kept the property up.

As TheShadow has said there are a lot of retirees that are executives from all over. There are a lot of facilities that need to be maintained to include the fitness center and pool. There are tennis courts and pickleball courts. There are a number of roads that are there and they require maintenance as well. There are street lights to run as well.

Having some funds put in towards the clubhouse and marina resturaunts to help keep costs low is fine as well at least based on the amount that is being asked for residents ($112/mo). It sounds very reasonable to me. It is especially good since having a POA that require residents to keep their property in good condition. If a number of homes fall into disrepair or do not get built in a timely manner the other property values suffer.

Yes I know I am sounding like I am excited and yes I am but I also understand that to get something nice you have to pay some money to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement