Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you like the music - try Pandora for a month or two. All the Christmas stations are great! I listen to 10x more music this time of year than the other 11 months put together. Robyn
If I hear another Jingle Bells I'm moving to the South Pole. I guess I've had too much of the usual Christmas music all my life. I like Bach's Christmas Cantata. And this (children singing with these two great artists):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7uiqRCW6I8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, that is news to me and probably a lot of other people. I had always heard that the X was meant to "X out" Christ. Thanks for the clarification....but I'd just as soon not abbreviate Christ's name.
And that's fine. Just please refrain from chastising others who use it.
Be aware that "Merry" and "Mass" used in conjunction with Christ and the festival we know as Christmas, is a very recent and far from universal Christian tradition. The first known use of "Merry Christmas" was ca 1700, whereas X as a symbol of Christ dates back at least to the 4th century.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I realize that everyone is different, but I would be depressed without Christmas decorations. I love turning out the big lights and just looking at the tree and listening to Christmas songs. I love seeing outdoor lights and we even drive around looking at everybody's decorations. We used to do that in our large community using our golf cart when in SC and now in DE our neighbor has a GC and we have already made plans to do that here, although it will be a much shorter trip! I actually enjoy buying gifts and wrapping them and I make our cards and as soon as I get the proper size envelopes I will be sending those out with the annual letter, which is already written and sitting in it's computer file. We do still buy gifts, but we only have DD and her fiance and each other, so not so bad. We have just cut back a bit, especially with the expense of doing things on the house this year. DD and fiance are paying for most of their wedding, but we still are doing some things, most especially the gown and I am making her invitations, thank you cards and favors.

I used to hate all the work, but as I have gotten older I have been able to let go of micro-managing everything and let DH and DD help and it has become fun again. I'm anxious to get out the decorations and see what we can do at our new house.

I'm with you here - my very favorite time of year. I have all my decorations packed away - not normal packed away but in prep for moving - and don't intend to undo that so I went and got some lites to put up around the house. Love to fall asleep with Xmas lites on. No tree whaaaaaa

I will compensate by going out to the many shopping areas and getting my fix that way.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:07 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I usually put up exterior holiday lights somewhere around this time of year, but we haven't done gifts for anyone other than our son for years. (Or the occasional "white elephant" for parties where required.) I usually make and distribute some holiday treats (apricot bread, cookies, brownies).

No gifts for our birthday or anniversary, either - for those we usually do a weekend trip or go out to dinner somewhere special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement