Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"One of my reasons for not wanting children is because it would mean I could never be alone again."

Ironically, that's one of the main reasons people HAVE children: because they're terrified of being alone. One of the more selfish reasons, I might add! And it generally doesn't pan out, as we can see from this thread...
I was told by a friend that I should have kids - so I could have someone to love me! I just didn't know how to respond.

I also think a lot of these young girls around here in my area have kids because they are afraid of not being able to be successful at a job, career or whatever. With a kid or kids trailing behind them, they can at least say they are a "mom".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I don't travel during the insane holiday travel season and would never expect someone else to.

This year my husband's mother died two days before Thanksgiving and we had to wade into the Turkey Day Travel Revels of overbooked, crowded, weather-delayed, canceled flights. What should have been a $375 per person direct or one-stop flight turned into a last-minute $1,100 4 stop flight. Argh.

There have been a lot of threads on how to "make" your kids visit you - sort of asking to "You WILL visit us and you WILL enjoy it."

The hardest time for us was when our son went away to college, graduated, got a job in his 1,200-mile-away-city and was working full time while we were working full time. Not a lot of vacation time between us. Once we were semi-retired and more the master of our own schedules, it was easier to drive out and see him for a week or two at a time. Since we are the ones with the flexible schedules, it is easier for us to go to him than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement