Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:48 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times

Advertisements

What about parents that don't want to see their kids. I have a sister that is always invited by her daughter to stay over and visit. She always turns her down. I don't understand it. They would come get her and bring her back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I never quite understood the expectation that the adult children, who are typically working longer hours, busy with families, earlier in career so less vacation time, etc. are expected to constantly visit elderly parents. It seems to be that retired parents who have far more free time should be the ones visiting.

Granted there are extenuating circumstances, being healthy enough to travel and having funds (although if the kids are travelling they need funds too).

I live in the same town as my parents, so it's a non-issue for me. My ex wife, we had to travel to visit her family and they were always harping on us to visit. Practically the first thing that would pop out of their mouths when we visited is when would we be visiting next. Never once visited us in four years though, even when we offered to pay.

As a parent of adult children, I never could understand older parents always expecting their adult children to visit them.

Even though both my husband and I are mildly disabled and traveling is somewhat difficult for us, we still travel the 2,000 to see our adult son, DIL & now a grandchild about as often as they fly to see us.

When they do come to our town they/we always get together with the extended family (aunts/uncles/cousins) plus our son & family sees as many of his high school & college buddies as he can that are still in the area (or visiting their families for the holidays). So, it is not like they only come to see the two of us.

PS. It will be great when/if our son starts to earn enough money to help us pay for our plane tickets (instead of the other way around) because our funds are quite limited.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-03-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 10:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
maybe it's a gray hair thing but I find it pretty pathetic most of the kids were notified of his death by text.

Now that's sad.

At least one son rec'd a phone call and one daughter seemingly opened a snail mail (which I found odd). The others you can't tell if it's text, email, voice mail, or a phone call. They could have rec'd a text saying "call me, it's urgent". That's what happened when we last had a death in the family. As soon as I saw the text, my heart dropped because I knew it had to be bad news.
Putting aside that the fictional dad set the whole thing up, I'm wondering how you would handle notifiying far-off relatives.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:22 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Sorry, but people generally sow what they reap.

I firmly believe that people generally go where they feel happy, loved, liked, wanted, and valued. Unfortunately, to many people -- but by no means, all -- the thought of their family brings up mainly bad feelings. Who wants to go some place where they will just feel bad?

If your kids and grandkids don't visit you, I suggest that perhaps you take a good look at yourself and your history with them.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:12 AM

720 posts, read 765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but people generally sow what they reap.

I firmly believe that people generally go where they feel happy, loved, liked, wanted, and valued. Unfortunately, to many people -- but by no means, all -- the thought of their family brings up mainly bad feelings. Who wants to go some place where they will just feel bad?

If your kids and grandkids don't visit you, I suggest that perhaps you take a good look at yourself and your history with them.

You said a mouthful there, but I think this may not be a popular line of thought.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 AM

720 posts, read 765,512 times
The unrealistic part is that no one was pissed about the charade.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:13 PM

135 posts, read 169,759 times
"Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch."

Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
"Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch."

I know someone who literally pays his children and grandchildren to attend holiday dinners. I believe that it started out as a joke but his kids got so excited that he continued. He gives each adult child (he has three) a crisp $100 bill and each grandchild (he has three) I believe a $10 or a $20 bill at the beginning of the meal.

He has done this for several years. Ironically, it seems like the attendance by his children has stayed about the same for most holidays. It actually has decreased for Thanksgiving since two of his children now spend Thanksgiving with their spouse's families.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
maybe it's a gray hair thing but I find it pretty pathetic most of the kids were notified of his death by text.

Now that's sad.
Umm, it's a commercial ... fiction ... made up by advertising copywriters to elicit a response.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,935,908 times
WHY do you HAVE to have your children come home for Xmas???? Maybe they do not want to especially if they have a family.... Why not try spending a Xmas with just each other.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement