Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
OverItAll[/b];42149490]
So some of us laugh (wryly) at peeps describing rock bottom moments, when we live in Rock Bottom (Spongebob episode).
Those who blame others for their low state annoy the crap out of me. Unless you're under 18, stop blaming others willya (not referring to anyone in particular, just generally speaking). I got myself here, no one used force on me to make idiotic choices.
You are so right about the blame game. It's so easy to look at the next person and not ourselves. I finally "came clean" re something I'd been hiding for years and feel so much better about it. Have been able to finally forgive myself.

On rare occasion I was able to babysit my great nephew and while at his house, watched Spongebob a few times. That cartoon had so many good messages within the funny part of it, I was very impressed. Kids are hearing the message, even if only subliminally.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was talking to some relatives from back home and one of our old party buddies, who is in his early 60s and recently retired, was arrested for distribution of marijuana recently. From what I've concluded, the guy had primarily supported himself for the last few years with the weed profits. He started a fairly successful eldercare business and was aboveboard the last few years, but still dealt drugs.

He's hit rock bottom going into old age. When and how did you hit rock bottom?

He didn't hit rock bottom, get a grip. Just because he smokes and was selling a few here & there doesn't make him a bad person. Half of your coworkers and probably some of your own family smoke pot and you wouldn't even know it.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:00 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm wondering if SC stays up at night thinking of new threads to post... endlessly. Happy Holidays!!

Emigrations has been posting drivel for quite a long time, trying to win that stupid contest.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
^^^^What stupid contest??

Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 AM

888 posts, read 889,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
I was relatively rich by 20 with a successful e-commerce business, brick and mortar shop, luxury cars and high-rise apartment without parents or funding from any source but my own savings growing up. The game became so easy I got bored and hit rock bottom within 3 years through partying like a rock star, going to vegas and regularly blowing an affluent workers salary in a weekend, different women every other day, etc., all facilitated and enabled by bad company I chose to keep around me.

I eventually moved back to my parents home, became depressed, saved up money to buy a car, moved out again compulsively, lived a homeless non-working lifestyle (was sick of being a working slave) on the california coast for 1.5 years on and off, came back home, another bout of depression, left again, slept in my car, begged for gas money and even drove pan handlers around and split the earnings, smoked copious amounts of weed for the entire homeless bout, generally had a blast, lived off food stamps, and now im back in the matrix doing slightly less taxing work and accumulating fiat debt notes because that's whats expected of me, and everyone else in this money driven world.

Without hitting rock bottom I probably wouldn't have talked to the most interesting people and been in the most embarrassing yet liberating situations. Honestly, when you have a lot of money so young there's no stopping you from thinking you're invincible and generally acting like a jerk, asserting your better-than-thou attitude any chance you get. I was sick of myself.

Humbling experiences will never be forgotten.
Thank you for sharing this which reads like a real-life character with traces of Financial Radio Talk Host Dave Ramsey and legendary imaginary character Ashley Roachclip (made famous by Cheech and Chong) in your blood.

My best to you in the rest of your life.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
He didn't hit rock bottom, get a grip. Just because he smokes and was selling a few here & there doesn't make him a bad person. Half of your coworkers and probably some of your own family smoke pot and you wouldn't even know it.
It doesn't make him a bad person at all but it's negative information for your clients and a criminal charge.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We all hit some sort of low point in our lives. We may not get arrested for a felony, but there are bottoms.
I was a young man in the early 1970's when I found myself in downtown Sacramento, California without a dime to my name, no credit cards in a Volkswagen Beetle completely out of gas with all my worldly possessions piled inside.

It was January and it was cold and rainy.

I was stuck for a day and a half. I didn't even eat.

My nearest friend was 100 miles away and he drove over to give me $15 which was a lot more money in 1971 than it is now.

Taught me a valuable lesson and that is to always have cash on my person solely for emergencies. Started with $20, mind you again this was a lot in 1971, and today I have a $100 bill folded in my wallet that never gets used.

I would have to say that was my low point.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Emigrations has been posting drivel for quite a long time, trying to win that stupid contest.
Agree

But so far I have not hit rock bottom and don't think I will. I am a down but not out person

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I don't think "that stupid contest" is going on anymore! LOL

Guess City-Data "hit rock bottom" financially!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Some of us are bottom-dwellers *raising hand*

A few examples:
I had a lovely in all ways first husband, left him for someone else after 10yr, purely on a whim. Left that one after 18mos.

Second husband, violent lunatic. Left him, he then killed himself while we were separated pending divorce.

Great s/o, pure hearted, loving human being, left that one, no good reason really.
Now alone, no interest in an s/o, ended up here via MY OWN doing, no one to blame, walked away from awesome men who were devoted to me.

Had big chunk of money, six figure inheritances twice within four years, both husbands made +six fig, didn't scale back lifestyle soon enough after widowhood, now poor.

Unemployable, due to anxiety, depression, people aversion and being a mental case in general.

Always been unhappy, miserable.

So some of us laugh (wryly) at peeps describing rock bottom moments, when we live in Rock Bottom (Spongebob episode).
Those who blame others for their low state annoy the crap out of me. Unless you're under 18, stop blaming others willya (not referring to anyone in particular, just generally speaking). I got myself here, no one used force on me to make idiotic choices.
Okay, so you got yourself where you are. That is no reason to keep punishing yourself. You still CAN be happy. If you need a cheerleader and someone to believe in you, I am here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement