Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,163 times

Advertisements

Thanks vicky3 for the kind thought *hug* but along with being a bottom dweller I am a realist as well, some of us just suck. We do.
I had the severe childhood abuse thing that I think many losers like me use as an excuse, no way, that pisses me off too.

It shaped me, and made me coldhearted (more the fact that the abuse was OBVIOUS to my father and other adults LIVING in the home -Italian extended family type deal- and none not one of them did s**t about it, all deferred to my sadistic Mother as though they all too were children this baffles me to this day) but is in no way the reason I failed at life in all areas, I had more opportunites than many (good looks, money, great health, good husband) and destroyed it all BY CHOICE.

It is an oft-ignored fact that some peeps just are terrible at life period, do no good nor create anything positive.

I AM proud of and will cop to being honest and taking responsibility, one of my few good traits, and therefore have zero patience for those who prefer to shift blame.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 12-03-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
^^^^^^ OverItAll: You are still able to make choices, only the choices you are making are destructive, not constructive.

Calling yourself a bottom feeder and loser are two clues that you are still enjoying it there. Yes, some people are terrible at life, but it doesn't have to be a life sentence. You can change your life, but only if you WANT to.

The past is the past. There is not a darned thing you can do to change it. But you can change today and all your tomorrows if you will recognize that you are the only one who can do it.

I truly hope you will get some help, pull yourself out of the hole you have put yourself in. I didn't say it would be fun or easy. But it would be good.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Financially - a few months after completing my undergrad (nearly 30 years ago).

Physically - when I was in my early 40s.

Spiritually - maybe now.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Rock bottom for me is when my middle aged
Child refuses to grow up.

My fault I guess

Old 12-03-2015, 12:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
^^^^^ Are you getting some help?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,333 times
Rock bottom to me means, when my income is less than my out go which happened to me in 1975. My sales & service shop burned down and my insurance premium was two weeks past the 30 day grace period. So I lost 200K of paid for merchandise. Credit was still good so borrowing for a new building and building it with the help of my oldest daughter, putting up a 48' X 72' metal building I was able to save my service franchise but lost my sales franchise. Lived on credit cards for five years until they were paid off. Building a savings account again until my wife died after 53 1/2 years of marriage, it was apparent I couldn't make all the payments without her income. Sold my business for enough to get out of debt with a little left over for retirement at the age of 73. Been retired now for 7 years and continue to see the costs going up faster than my pension and social security. So another "Rock Bottom" is on the way. Just a matter of time. IMHO

Old 12-03-2015, 03:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
I've hit rock bottom, but I'll be damned if the details are anyone else's business!

Sorry, not a player.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:15 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
I will only hit rock bottom when I'm 6 feet under. Oh wait a minute, I want to donate my body to science so this will never happen ;-)

The example which the OP gave seems to belong to this definition of 'rock bottom'

Urban Dictionary: rock bottom

Quote:
Corrupted lifestyle that is usually caused by poor life choices or a string of misfortune.

That's Rock Bottom
When this life makes you mad enough to kill
That's Rock Bottom
When you want something bad enough to steal
That's Rock Bottom
When you feel you've have had it up to here
'Cause you mad enough to scream but you sad enough to tear
That's Rock Bottom

-Eminem (Album: The Slim Shady LP)
Everybody has some low points in their life be it financial, psychological, emotional or physical. However, I'd think that not many people here truly hit the 'rock bottom' as defined above.

On the bright side, for the people who had hit rock bottom especially older folks, this means the lowest point of their life was in the past and they had survived.

To be honest, I don't understand the OP's intention or see any merits in this 'discussion': "When and how did you hit ROCK BOTTOM?" especially in the retirement forum.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
rock bottom Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

The ​team ​hit ​rock ​bottom, ​losing 12 ​games in a ​row.

I don't know the intention of this thread but rock bottom means as bad as it can get. Your low point in life. Maybe after your spouse left or you lost your business. The point of seemingly no return. That's what it means no matter what some made up urban dictionary may think it means. Rock bottom can mark the beginning of a turning point in your life.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We all hit some sort of low point in our lives. We may not get arrested for a felony, but there are bottoms.
Low points in a person life doesn't mean rock bottom. You can have everything, but if the doctor gives you some not so good news, or the death of a spouse or child can be a very low point in a person life. Not everyone will experience rock bottom in their lives, most people try hard not to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement