Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:55 PM

720 posts, read 765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It may not be a catastrophic fall but we all often have significant bumps in the road.
I'm wondering why you want to know? Are you having a rock bottom time and are looking for some encouragement?

Seems like a strange thought process "I just heard a_________story, gee I wonder what the folks on the retirement forum of City Data have to say about that".

Old 12-05-2015, 04:08 PM

393 posts, read 359,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was 20, and that was the last time I ever had to borrow money from anyone to live. That was 57 years ago.
smart. I am glad that I divorced my second husband and we lost our house. I wasn't then, but because of my stupid decision in marrying him in the first place (even though my gut said he is no good) it kept me from ever making a stupid decision like that again. There is something to be said for getting your s*it out of the way at the age of 25.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I'm not sure how you think that is rock bottom? Unless there are some other factors we don't know about, he will likely never see jail. At his age the implications, such as reduced job opportunists, are minimal.

Personally, I am impressed that he was able to capitalize on a market at his age. As I get older I am more willing to do more drugs not less as the risk is less. Heck I did heroin for the first time at 60! I would not had even considered it at 30 because I had too much to lose. But now, meh.
This reminds me of the grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine.
Do they even put people in jail for marijuana possession anymore?

Old 12-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This has got to be the wackiest thread I've ever seen on CD...and I've seen some beaut's!

Yes, life has its ups and downs for all of us, but that doesn't mean that we've hit "rock bottom". The down moments I've had in life are long in the past, involving boring jobs, toxic people, and the loss of pet dogs that were important to me. As for drugs, alcohol, jail, etc etc...my life has been singularly free of those things. I once lost a grandson at 2 days of age, but even that was not "rock bottom", as I have 6 healthy ones now. Who knows? Maybe my "rock bottom" is yet to come?
I had two finches (Cheyenne and Chivani) who died after 5 years. For some reason it put me into tears, even at work and there is an unwritten rule in my industry that there is no crying, lol. I think they thought I was losing it.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've lived a clean life, so there has never been a rock bottom time in my life. I have the occasional drink and I don't use any type of drugs. I also stay away from people who are into drugs and alcohol.
I think this is me too. My entire life has been jobs that would never allow any sort of bad behavior (and they check). The best lesson young people can learn is to stay away from people with criminal habits because you might get pulled in either intentionally or unintentionally.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Define rock bottom. I've never been arrested. I've never done any drugs. I've never smoked. I drink maybe 3 glasses of wine a year. Unless we get into crap during my childhood, I wouldn't say I've hit rock bottom.....I have pretty far to fall for that to happen. I'm not homeless....not even close. I'm not a druggie. I'm not an alcoholic.

You do realize that many people never hit rock bottom because they don't do things that lead one down that road, right?
I believe the same thing, but it is amazing how many people in the general population think everyone has horrible behavior.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:16 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Some odd responses here to a pretty simple question, in my own point of view.

Everyone hits a low point in their lives, only those completely unplugged as humans would deny this. It isn't a sign of weakness or lack of resilience, just something that happens to everyone.

Low point doesn't have to mean homeless or not knowing where you are at the moment, it can be whatever is specific to you.

Anyhow, mine was in my early 30's, when we were stuck owning two houses in different cities (job transfer) and having to deal with ultra high interest rates while trying to raise a couple of very young kids.
Well, some moments are better than others, sure.

You had a job to move to? Your kids were healthy? "We" implies you were married? I know an awful lot of people who would have thought you were on top of the world.

We all had to pay high interest rates in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was not the most prosperous time, but it was not like living in Bangladesh either.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I am closing this thread. Too many off topic posts and too many people seem to think it's about alcoholism and drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement