U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 PM

23,586 posts, read 17,574,904 times

Advertisements

I was talking to some relatives from back home and one of our old party buddies, who is in his early 60s and recently retired, was arrested for distribution of marijuana recently. From what I've concluded, the guy had primarily supported himself for the last few years with the weed profits. He started a fairly successful eldercare business and was aboveboard the last few years, but still dealt drugs.

He's hit rock bottom going into old age. When and how did you hit rock bottom?

Old 12-02-2015, 07:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was talking to some relatives from back home and one of our old party buddies, who is in his early 60s and recently retired, was arrested for distribution of marijuana recently. From what I've concluded, the guy had primarily supported himself for the last few years with the weed profits. He started a fairly successful eldercare business and was aboveboard the last few years, but still dealt drugs.

He's hit rock bottom going into old age. When and how did you hit rock bottom?
I'm wondering why you're assuming that those who post here have hit rock bottomó? It seems, the way you've worded the question, that you think everyone has?

Old 12-02-2015, 08:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When and how did you hit rock bottom?
Apparently, when I started reading C-D today.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:48 PM

23,586 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I'm wondering why you're assuming that those who post here have hit rock bottomó? It seems, the way you've worded the question, that you think everyone has?
We all hit some sort of low point in our lives. We may not get arrested for a felony, but there are bottoms.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 PM

4,670 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Apparently, when I started reading C-D today.

I can't stop laughing. You are too funny!!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 PM

4,670 posts, read 3,246,905 times
I always associated hitting rock bottom with alcoholics. I've done al anon for years (not anymore, don't have to deal with the alcoholics anymore). I've heard it said that when an alcoholic hits rock bottom, that's when they start to realize they need help.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,724,705 times
Your choice of words, "Hitting Rock Bottom" invokes images of an alcoholic or drug attic lying in the gutter or eating out of garbage cans. The description of your friend invokes images to me of a jail bird and possibly elder abuse. (or some pretty happy elders)

I would also wager that anybody fitting the above description will hardly fess up to it here.
Perhaps phrasing the question "What were the lowest points in your life", might garner more responses.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 PM

890 posts, read 677,383 times
Some of us, and I'm one of them, like to use phrases and figures of speech to better get one's attention and imagination and that's what the OP has done. I'm personally not offended by it and believe we all carry crosses of some type in our life journey that brings us much suffering but also gives us the ability to better see and count our blessings.

With that in mind, I've had several rock bottom experiences and hope to have more in my lifetime. One time was when I had gotten out of shape and gained weight. My wife took a photo of me in my big boy outfit eating a hot dog. I took a look at that photo and said "No More!". It began a fitness journey that has been very enjoyable and continues to this day.

I'm grateful for that rock bottom experience.

Who's next?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 PM

135 posts, read 116,951 times
I was relatively rich by 20 with a successful e-commerce business, brick and mortar shop, luxury cars and high-rise apartment without parents or funding from any source but my own savings growing up. The game became so easy I got bored and hit rock bottom within 3 years through partying like a rock star, going to vegas and regularly blowing an affluent workers salary in a weekend, different women every other day, etc., all facilitated and enabled by bad company I chose to keep around me.

I eventually moved back to my parents home, became depressed, saved up money to buy a car, moved out again compulsively, lived a homeless non-working lifestyle (was sick of being a working slave) on the california coast for 1.5 years on and off, came back home, another bout of depression, left again, slept in my car, begged for gas money and even drove pan handlers around and split the earnings, smoked copious amounts of weed for the entire homeless bout, generally had a blast, lived off food stamps, and now im back in the matrix doing slightly less taxing work and accumulating fiat debt notes because that's whats expected of me, and everyone else in this money driven world.

Without hitting rock bottom I probably wouldn't have talked to the most interesting people and been in the most embarrassing yet liberating situations. Honestly, when you have a lot of money so young there's no stopping you from thinking you're invincible and generally acting like a jerk, asserting your better-than-thou attitude any chance you get. I was sick of myself.

Humbling experiences will never be forgotten.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,247,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Some of us, and I'm one of them, like to use phrases and figures of speech to better get one's attention and imagination and that's what the OP has done. I'm personally not offended by it and believe we all carry crosses of some type in our life journey that brings us much suffering but also gives us the ability to better see and count our blessings.

With that in mind, I've had several rock bottom experiences and hope to have more in my lifetime. One time was when I had gotten out of shape and gained weight. My wife took a photo of me in my big boy outfit eating a hot dog. I took a look at that photo and said "No More!". It began a fitness journey that has been very enjoyable and continues to this day.

I'm grateful for that rock bottom experience.

Who's next?

Perhaps your figures of speech are not appropriate all the time.
It could also be that what is asked by some is really none of their business and could be considered rude to be asking such things.

I'll pass......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement