Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:07 PM

284 posts, read 362,352 times

Advertisements

First let me say that we're animal lovers. We volunteer at our local shelter and currently have 2 dogs that are getting some age on them. We're hoping to do a good bit of traveling in retirement and as everybody knows, having pets complicates that a great deal. When these babies cross over, I'm wondering how it would be to work with some shelters to foster animals instead of actually owning any. There is such a need for foster homes for both dogs and cats and I could see this as a great way to give back while keeping us free to travel and such. I've just never been without my own dog in the house and my DH has real hesitations about not having "his" dog, plus I know the temptation to keep one or ten of them would be pretty great Just wondering if any of you have tried doing the foster thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I have but it didn't work well for me. The pet showings (every weekend) were about a 20 mile drive away and I just could not commit to that. I had a very very timid dog mill dog and I fell in love with her too. I dressed her up and tried to socialize her but she wasn't having any part of it.

After a short while, she got adopted and I went to the shelter and got 2 doggies that I could keep forever.

Every place has different rules and what they expect from volunteers, including if you provide the food, vet visits, or not and you need to be aware of this when signing up. The head of the shelter came to my house for a 3 hour interview, before they would let me have a foster !!! It was sorta like fostering a child.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
DH & I had planned on fostering senior/elderly cats. The application process was straightforward, a reference from our veterinarian was required. Our shelter reimburses all medical and other expenses other than ordinary pet food.

The hitch for us is this clause "If you agree to foster an animal, you are expected to foster him/her until they are adopted."
Since elderly cats are difficult to place, that means we'd in effect be adopting instead of fostering. And we frequently take long trips, which wouldn't be fair to the cat. So for now, we've put the idea on ice.

That clause might not apply to all shelters though. Ours is a "no-kill" shelter which means they're always limited on space and can't take back an animal even for a short time.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
I am not retired yet (59 days, but whose counting, right?).

I have two medium sized dogs, Tuck and Taffy, and an elderly Dachshund, Herman - he's approximately 12 - that was dumped in my neighborhood (and after a year in our home, he finally "adopted" us about 3 weeks ago as his permanent family). My female, Taffy, can be dog aggressive, but seems to be very motherly for elderly, injured, or sick dogs, and puppies under ~1 year, so those are the categories we normally foster.

We foster for the OSPCA, and we have had a dozen dogs for varying lengths over the last four years. Our last foster was a clumsy, mouthy, lovey male hound recovering from severe mange and we had him a couple of months through treatment and recovery. Taffy was inseparable from him, I loved the goofy booger, and he was adopted on his first event - broke my heart to let him go, even though we couldn't really keep him, and it appeared to be a good family and home he was adopted into.

Of all the dogs we have fostered, I still miss Sis, Emily, and Farmer (mange dog), with honorable mention to Burt. That part of fostering sucks (giving them up after you've grown fond of them, and they of you), but it is a good and needed service.

Just be aware when fostering, if you are dog people and you don't have a dog, the likely hood of a "foster failure" is VERY high! But that's probably a good thing - you can figure out the travel issues as they arise, but a good dog in the house, well, that's a true treasure.

Best regards.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:05 PM

284 posts, read 362,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post

Just be aware when fostering, if you are dog people and you don't have a dog, the likely hood of a "foster failure" is VERY high! But that's probably a good thing - you can figure out the travel issues as they arise, but a good dog in the house, well, that's a true treasure.
Tuck's Dad, that last line 'bout made me cry. Thank you for posting, for what you do and the sincerity of your words...

Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
After fostering both a dog and two cats, we realized that we were not the fostering kind since we were foster failures and all three are now permanently living with us and our rescue dog Darcy.

I will say that after our Strudel crossed the bridge, I was hesitant to get another dog because I wanted to travel. What I found was that we did not travel like I thought we would, we did not travel more than we had in the past, and we have always had a pet sitter that we continue to use.

I really think that pet people are never really happy unless they have pets in their home and you just deal with the travel issue.

I am with your husband that you need your dog.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I have several rescue dogs, but have never fostered. I do follow a few local rescue groups and that fostering can keep you busy. You are required to attend weekend adoption events. And the fostering is not over until the pup is placed. Could be years.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:34 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
I have fostered dogs off and on for over 15 years, all abused basset hounds. Out of 19 fosters, I ended up adopting 16 of them. Many were elderly and didn't live long, but they knew love and care for the time they lived with me.

Fostering is a wonderful way for retired folks to spend the time. Volunteering at animal shelters is also incredibly helpful and rewarding!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Nothing makes me angrier than people that abuse animals. I Never had pets growing up, so I don't know why I can't seem to not have any now. I can always feel my heart pound a little harder when I think of my departed pet friends. I would likely be a foster failure.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:33 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Don't let your age stop you from traveling with your dog.Properly trained and using a travel crate and an Electronic training collar ..you should have no trouble if you are smarter than the dog.
My current dog is 10 yrs old------got him at 6 months...
.got him used to the travel crate and the control collar by the time he we was 11 months. In.the almost 10 years since he has travelled with me to:..TX. AZ.AL.GA. FL.ND.
UT. IL. WI. AND MN . ABDOLUTELY no problems in any respect......... Motels were very accepting when they saw him: beautiful 44 pound Brittany who loves his travel. Crate and doesn't bark.......Total miles so far that he has traveled in the SUV is 83345 miles.....One motel in Sedona, AZ was a little leery., but after see him.in his travel crate in the room......they agree he would be fine.
Two things. I never travel without:...my dog and my Sig Sauer ,1911 C3 in 45scp.
At almost age 84,, I'm most comfortable when I have my dog and my CC Sig with me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement