Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:54 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times

Advertisements

I just recently did a post in another section. I had a mortality realization due to turning 55.

Mortality just hit me.

I can't comprehend 70-80. Being where I live I see many seniors walking with walkers and oxygen tanks. It's scary. Old age is a mutha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I'm in the financial services industry, and many of our clients are from 70 - 90s. We even have one client who turned 100 in October (though admittedly he's not in the best shape). Part of it is your mentality. Are you engaged with life, do you have friends, are you still interested in things? Part of it is how well you've aged physically, if you're dealing with a chronic condition such as arthritis, etc. We all decline as we age; that's just life. I'm worried about becoming a mindless blob in a bed; I really hope I die before that happens as I would hate to be such a burden to my children!

My father died at 82 after a series of falls, surgeries, and rehab for ten years off and on. Then there is one particular 87-year-old client who had a stroke recently. He spent a few days in the hospital and now he's home doing out patient rehab! You just never can tell.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
We're talking the higher ages but what if we do make it to 80-90? Yea health is a consideration but what about financial? How many have pensions? 401K? Enough money to dump in an annuity? Something to consider especially if single. Then there's quality of life. Time to get that second childhood going. The fish are biting. I need some Hugh Heffner money to live like Hugh Heffner.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:12 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
My father-in-law was reasonably healthy in his late 80s to early 90s. The secret to his long live was his laid back style, under consuming of calories, and did lots of walking. Quick death and no Alzeihmer's, still coherent until his last week in bed. Stay positive is the key.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:52 AM

121 posts, read 89,065 times
I am reasonably fit and healthy at 60 going to the gym 3-4 times a week and walking 40-60 mins most days. Upto about 2 years ago, my stamina had reduced but I did not feel much different to the way I felt in my 30s. But there has certainly been a reduction in strength and ability to recuperate over the last year. For example, I helped a friend move furniture which was ok on the day, but I had muscle soreness for the next 2 days. That would not have happened a few years ago.

There are lots of variation between people driven by a combination of diet, exercise and, to my mind the most determining, genetic luck but most of us will hit a point in our 60s or 70s where physical decline accelerates.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
I am reasonably fit and healthy at 60 going to the gym 3-4 times a week and walking 40-60 mins most days. Upto about 2 years ago, my stamina had reduced but I did not feel much different to the way I felt in my 30s. But there has certainly been a reduction in strength and ability to recuperate over the last year. For example, I helped a friend move furniture which was ok on the day, but I had muscle soreness for the next 2 days. That would not have happened a few years ago.

There are lots of variation between people driven by a combination of diet, exercise and, to my mind the most determining, genetic luck but most of us will hit a point in our 60s or 70s where physical decline accelerates.
Well, that's true, it does do that. But IMO we just know that declining physical stamina is a part of the aging process and work around it. And personally, I find that physical exercise helps a great deal. And sometimes a little Aleve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement