Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My mother's sister, my favorite aunt, lived to be 95; and she was quite exasperated by her luck.
One of my patients is 93. When I ask her how she is, she says, "I'm not dead yet, dammit!". She is in OK health, but feels old, tired and ready to go. One day, she gave all of her clothes to Goodwill, insisting she wasn't going to need them, because "I'm ready to go". Except she didn't die. Her daughter thinks it was an excuse to buy all new clothes, because this lady is a 93 year-old Fashionista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
One of my patients is 93. When I ask her how she is, she says, "I'm not dead yet, dammit!". She is in OK health, but feels old, tired and ready to go. One day, she gave all of her clothes to Goodwill, insisting she wasn't going to need them, because "I'm ready to go". Except she didn't die. Her daughter thinks it was an excuse to buy all new clothes, because this lady is a 93 year-old Fashionista.
Good for her! I really miss my former mother-in-law. Every Christmas until she died she sent me marzipan candy remembering that my mother, who died when I was 43, always used to make it at Christmas for my father and me.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:33 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I always planned to see my 100th birthday, just to see how much things have changed since I was younger (well, since I was old enough to remember stuff, anyway).

I may have a chance of doing that, too. My mom is 85 and still walks a mile a day, her twin sister is 85 and a couch potato, my mom's older brothers are all still alive, her one sister just died last year at the age of 100, and she has older sisters who are still alive and sharp as a tack. My dad's mom died at 96 and she's the only person who went into a decline a couple years before, and that only came on after she was put in a home for her own safety (she kept falling down and couldn't get up again). My only problem is I'll be 99 and living as a bag lady out on the street because I won't have any money.

Personally, I think if I was in good health and could afford to support myself in the style to which I am not accustomed, I would like to live a couple centuries. It would be so interesting to see what happens in the future.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I always planned to see my 100th birthday, just to see how much things have changed since I was younger (well, since I was old enough to remember stuff, anyway).

I may have a chance of doing that, too. My mom is 85 and still walks a mile a day, her twin sister is 85 and a couch potato, my mom's older brothers are all still alive, her one sister just died last year at the age of 100, and she has older sisters who are still alive and sharp as a tack. My dad's mom died at 96 and she's the only person who went into a decline a couple years before, and that only came on after she was put in a home for her own safety (she kept falling down and couldn't get up again). My only problem is I'll be 99 and living as a bag lady out on the street because I won't have any money.

Personally, I think if I was in good health and could afford to support myself in the style to which I am not accustomed, I would like to live a couple centuries. It would be so interesting to see what happens in the future.
Hope you make it.

As for me, I'd be afraid to look.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Age 100 would be not bad if you were healthy enough to enjoy being 100! My mom was through with life before life was through with her. Many times the very elderly aren't that happy to be alive. Just keep that in mind.

Neither DH nor I want to live that long. On the other hand, my dad died too soon. I wish he could have seen his grands as they progressed to adulthood. He would have enjoyed that so much.

But, as I have posted before, you don't get to decide.

My objective is to live long enough to see my grands graduate from H.S. That would be 14 years from now.

And, I don't feel that much different at age 69 as I did at age 59. There are some differences, but overall, I feel pretty much the same, except I get tired at the end of the day worse than before. Oddly enough, I am in better shape now than then. Ten years from now, I am likely to be feeling my age, for sure.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
My grandfather almost made 100. Worked until he was 92 and walked 5 miles a day until he was 95. Almost no mental decline-even at the end. He was a 3 pack a day smoker until 85 and quit when his wife (my grandmother) passed away from lung cancer.

Having had many long conversations with genetics researchers, it would appear that, healthwise, most of what happens to you has already been programmed.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hope you make it.

As for me, I'd be afraid to look.
Nah, never be afraid of the future. What you have to remember is everyone is comfortable in the time frame they grew up and lived in around the age of 20 to 40. After that, people aren't as flexible or willing to adapt anymore.

That's why you find people in their 50s and 60s deploring the current times. I have no doubt kids born today will be complaining about the current evil times and the worthless younger generation in the year 2070 and claiming how wonderful it was back in 2015.

I think being flexible and open to new ideas is the key. I'll never forget the time I had some twenty something freaking out because he couldn't understand how to do something on the computer. Then in waltzed this little 70 year old lady who sat down at a computer, typed her stuff up, printed it out, and then got up and left, all without asking for help once.

I always figured if she could sit down at her age and figure something out like a computer, by God I could do it too.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How young? I'm 55 and I'm not afraid.

I do need to get my genealogy files organized. That scares me. Thinking of my family going through my things and seeing what a mess I left - haha!
I'm in my 30's. I'm glad that you are not afraid and have a positive outlook.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
rodentraiser, I think you misinterpreted. If one has a serious disease or malady, there is plenty to be concerned about pertaining to its progression. (not letting that ruin what is good in life is fine though)

Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I'll ignore the possibility, thanks. I'm 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement