Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 02:47 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And when I find the Fountain of Youth we can become business partners !!
It's a deal. The fountain of youth is in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 03:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
To get away from liberal Democrats total rule. Constantly increasing taxes, high cost of living, stupid laws that aggervate you and take your freedom away.
While washing my hair this morning, I was reading the warning label on my coal tar shampoo and thought of you. It read "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer." I always get a kick out of that warning.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
While washing my hair this morning, I was reading the warning label on my coal tar shampoo and thought of you. It read "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer." I always get a kick out of that warning.
I see that on a lot of different labels. It makes me think I'm safe as long as I don't live in California. LOL!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 PM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
43 years in MN, 3 years in Phoenix, 19+ years in Las Vegas, turning 66 in April, retiring in Tucson!

Why Tucson and not stay here?

Tucson got a Platinum award for being bike friendly, bike lanes along streets everywhere, and it's flat, for easy bicycling. Las Vegas? This backwards, conservative, stuck-in-the-60's, car-centric city?

Tucson is reportedly a more friendly city, so I won't have to get so nervous saying hello to neighbors and strangers. Do not believe it for one minute, Las Vegas is a friendly city!

Almost identical climate. And, a big plus, Tucson being less windy than Las Vegas!

Proximity to Mexico, Mexican Dr.'s, pharmacies, dental clinics, cantina-bar hopping in Nogales. Would rather do that, any day, than partake of the Las Vegas Strip!

Never developed any friendships here in Las Vegas, perhaps one reason being I've worked the night shift most of my years here, so no friendship ties, and relatives are in MN.

Am hungering to spend my days in a much more real city than Las Vegas. I'm so, so, so tired of going into any store, even Wal-Mart or 7/11, and running into slot machines!

What will I miss? The scenery, the wrap-around mountain effect, the taller mountains, and it's drier than Tucson, 4 inches of precip. a year compared to Tucson's 11 inches. Don't think it will take much adjustment to that, more humidity in the summer.
Yes, and there's this: Tucson Designated UNESCO World City of Gastronomy -Tucson becomes the first city in the United States to be recognized as a UNESCO World City of Gastronomy. Yum!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:58 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
Quote:
Retirement seems to be the only chance lots of people ever get to live where they want to live!
I think this is very true and certainly adds to our list. We had that realization when discussing the hows and whys of moving away. Our location has always been chosen due to work or family and never our own so seems exciting to be able to make it our own. Cost of living tops our list of reasons to move however.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
And now I have to put California on my list. An old friend contacted me - Christmas season & all, & asked me to consider Sacramento. I'll visit him when I'm checking out Las Vegas. I'm not thinking too much about it tho. Love him to pieces but we tried dating 20 some years ago & almost ruined our friendship. Thankfully it did survive.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It's a deal. The fountain of youth is in Florida.
Already been to St Augustine....they lied, it's not there.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I think this is very true and certainly adds to our list. We had that realization when discussing the hows and whys of moving away. Our location has always been chosen due to work or family and never our own so seems exciting to be able to make it our own. Cost of living tops our list of reasons to move however.
If retirement is the only time you got to live where you semi wanted to, wouldn't you consider life severely impaired?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
I've been to Tucson several times during my Air Force days. We would spend months there. I loved it. Much better than Phoenix. And someone mentioned Nogales. Loved it too.

Tucson had a small town feel.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If retirement is the only time you got to live where you semi wanted to, wouldn't you consider life severely impaired?
Been there and done the thing of moving where we wanted to in 1977; moved to the Charlotte NC area. Had a new house built and things were going good. Got nailed by the recession of 1981, lost my job and couldn't get another. Prior employer in Florida offered me my old job, so back we went. My wife and I wound up with good jobs in the financial services profession, so we stayed in Florida. Orlando area is not our ideal place to spend the rest of our lives, but it sure could have been worse as there are pluses as well as minuses. Now that we are retired and have the financial means to live elsewhere, we are planning on moving to Tennessee.

And it is a liberating feeling to know that we now can move, buy a house and not have to go through the worrying about what may happen if one of our jobs goes away. So we don't feel at all as if our lives have been at all "severely impaired" by being here. Sometimes being where you want to be is easier said than done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement