U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-21-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,851,516 times
Reputation: 6379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm in Hawaii celebrating my retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No, I wish. Just vacationing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Now that is a big Bada Bing Happy moment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am really happy today having watched my two favorite football teams win must win games yesterday in dramatic fashion. Great press today on the teams and two quarterbacks having great seasons. Go Steeler's and roll on Panthers and a big Bada Bing and TY to Big Ben and Cam Newton and two great teams led by great coaches in Mike Tomlin and Ron Rivera. Really joyful in Steeler Nation and the Carolina Ranch today!

If I could give you the thumbs down it would be four thumbs down.

Go Patriots!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:24 PM
 
39,280 posts, read 20,376,459 times
Reputation: 12761
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,620 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Reputation: 10985
I had two happy experiences today and they both renewed my faith in human beings. The first was when a guy was buying some things and his debit card wouldn't work. Apparently no funds. Tried it three times and couldn't do it again and the poor guy had no other way to pay. He started to walk off when a lady in line handed me a $100 bill and told me to take it out of that. I still get teary thinking about it. The second time was when a little old lady in an electric cart came up to my (express) register with WAY more than 20 items but, of course, I said it was okay. Two young men behind her helped to unload all her items and made sure she was okay and then went to another register to check out. I'm telling you, there ARE still good people in this world. I actually see small acts of kindness nearly every day at work and it always makes me feel good about people in general but especially about the people who live around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 12:19 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,246 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Reputation: 9856
I went surfing with one of the top or champions of one country back in the 90s. My husband who has not windsurfing for almost 15 years, zipped along effortlessly in the water. It was a wonderful feeling that he can still do this sport at almost 65. What a wonderful life? Sound like a movie isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM
 
12,707 posts, read 14,089,349 times
Reputation: 34824
At the end of my morning walk I usually stop at the same cafe and have toast and coffee. The staff is the owner about 40, who runs around like a madman being a waiter and counterman, a young waitress and a youngish middle aged woman who is a bit mentally handicapped, but whom the owner has been able to train to be a cook and sandwich-maker. The is a bit spread out and sometimes has twenty-five tables going plus the counter. Everyone works very hard, but everyone is congenial....a very neighborhood/regulars feel.

As I was leaving today I gave the owner twenty euros and told him that it was a holiday tip (I did not want to just leave it on the table.) He protested...and said, "No, no, no. It is not necessary, we just like you." That's nice to hear, but I told him no...his staff (the two women) would appreciate it for the holiday. So, he took it, and I expected he would divy up the tips on the 24th. I was was already outside among the tables when I heard woman call my name. I turned around, expecting it was one of the older women I know from the neighborhood. But it was the young waitress, a gracious girl but ordinarily a bit shy or reserved...who sometimes still uses formal address with me. She ran up smiling, said "Thank you!" and then gave me a kiss on both cheeks!

So, we both got an unexpected gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Northern Minnesota
30,148 posts, read 2,544,458 times
Reputation: 8659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had two happy experiences today and they both renewed my faith in human beings. The first was when a guy was buying some things and his debit card wouldn't work. Apparently no funds. Tried it three times and couldn't do it again and the poor guy had no other way to pay. He started to walk off when a lady in line handed me a $100 bill and told me to take it out of that. I still get teary thinking about it. The second time was when a little old lady in an electric cart came up to my (express) register with WAY more than 20 items but, of course, I said it was okay. Two young men behind her helped to unload all her items and made sure she was okay and then went to another register to check out. I'm telling you, there ARE still good people in this world. I actually see small acts of kindness nearly every day at work and it always makes me feel good about people in general but especially about the people who live around me.
I like your post because I also see this and I think if some people would just open their eyes they would see the acts of kindness taking place around them, also. Plus, they could start doing it themselves. Far too many people complain about others because, I guess, they read or watch too much bad news. A person might not have extra money to spare, but they probably have a smile to spare or a helping hand.

Thanks for your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 AM
 
10,818 posts, read 8,069,111 times
Reputation: 17029
Drinking Irish coffee while watching the post-solstice winter sunrise send beams through the woods and hills around our house. Happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had two happy experiences today and they both renewed my faith in human beings. The first was when a guy was buying some things and his debit card wouldn't work. Apparently no funds. Tried it three times and couldn't do it again and the poor guy had no other way to pay. He started to walk off when a lady in line handed me a $100 bill and told me to take it out of that. I still get teary thinking about it. The second time was when a little old lady in an electric cart came up to my (express) register with WAY more than 20 items but, of course, I said it was okay. Two young men behind her helped to unload all her items and made sure she was okay and then went to another register to check out. I'm telling you, there ARE still good people in this world. I actually see small acts of kindness nearly every day at work and it always makes me feel good about people in general but especially about the people who live around me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I like your post because I also see this and I think if some people would just open their eyes they would see the acts of kindness taking place around them, also. Plus, they could start doing it themselves. Far too many people complain about others because, I guess, they read or watch too much bad news. A person might not have extra money to spare, but they probably have a smile to spare or a helping hand.

Thanks for your story!
Let me get in line here behind Geebabe to thank AZDesertBrat for her uplifting post. It's really important among the negativity of the world today to hear such stories. You've made more than one person's day, I'm sure, just by posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Reputation: 16288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had two happy experiences today and they both renewed my faith in human beings. The first was when a guy was buying some things and his debit card wouldn't work. Apparently no funds. Tried it three times and couldn't do it again and the poor guy had no other way to pay. He started to walk off when a lady in line handed me a $100 bill and told me to take it out of that. I still get teary thinking about it. The second time was when a little old lady in an electric cart came up to my (express) register with WAY more than 20 items but, of course, I said it was okay. Two young men behind her helped to unload all her items and made sure she was okay and then went to another register to check out. I'm telling you, there ARE still good people in this world. I actually see small acts of kindness nearly every day at work and it always makes me feel good about people in general but especially about the people who live around me.

Love this story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Reputation: 16288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
At the end of my morning walk I usually stop at the same cafe and have toast and coffee. The staff is the owner about 40, who runs around like a madman being a waiter and counterman, a young waitress and a youngish middle aged woman who is a bit mentally handicapped, but whom the owner has been able to train to be a cook and sandwich-maker. The is a bit spread out and sometimes has twenty-five tables going plus the counter. Everyone works very hard, but everyone is congenial....a very neighborhood/regulars feel.

As I was leaving today I gave the owner twenty euros and told him that it was a holiday tip (I did not want to just leave it on the table.) He protested...and said, "No, no, no. It is not necessary, we just like you." That's nice to hear, but I told him no...his staff (the two women) would appreciate it for the holiday. So, he took it, and I expected he would divy up the tips on the 24th. I was was already outside among the tables when I heard woman call my name. I turned around, expecting it was one of the older women I know from the neighborhood. But it was the young waitress, a gracious girl but ordinarily a bit shy or reserved...who sometimes still uses formal address with me. She ran up smiling, said "Thank you!" and then gave me a kiss on both cheeks!

So, we both got an unexpected gift.



Love this story too - you really did a great thing. Now compare it o this: I was recently in a story - the lady in front of me was $.43 short and when asked what she wanted to do she just stood there so I keep change in my pocket and pulled it out. She turned around and gave me the most hateful look.


Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top