U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 05:55 PM

890 posts, read 677,383 times

Advertisements

Did 100 burpees early this morning (the kind with a flopping pushup and jump with hands extended overhead) in a little over 14 minutes and am grateful that I have the fitness and cardiovascular conditioning to perform this small feat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,436 times
My daughter moved in her very first home today. We were so happy and proud of her.

My husband thought that she might not sleep in her home tonight since she had no furniture and pretty much spent all her savings on the down payment (she put 20% down). I told him that if it was me, I would be happy sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag.

We called her tonight while she was putting together a bed. The house has a microwave oven and the refrigerator was delivered today. She and her boyfriend are going to have their first meal, a Mexican takeout, in her new home.

We wished that we could be there toasting a glass of champagne or clinking a glass of beer with her. It is almost 10 pm here in NY but I asked my husband to open a bottle of beer. We are having fun reminiscing about the very first home which we bought and moved in shortly after our wedding. The most memorable thing was that I killed the neighbor's pet duck while backing our loaded Toyota out of the driveway of our rented home. Once I discovered the horrible fact, I went inside the mostly empty house sat down and cried until my husband came back to fetch me. It was not an auspicious starting event but somehow we managed to go on living a very happy and successful life.

We are approaching the end of our life and our daughter is living the wonderful beginning part of hers. She has a satisfying career as a vet, something she had always wanted to do since childhood. Now she has a house. She broke up with her fiancee early this year but has found a new boyfriend who seems to be more compatible. They have many things in common. Moving into a first home is a wonderful way to start a New Year. Here's hoping that she will have as good a life as ours.

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-04-2016 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
Feeling happy and just loving how the sunlight and clouds constantly change my balcony view of the mountains and valley. Heavy fog yesterday morning had me feeling a bit down, but today the sun keeps breaking through all the cloud cover and the changes in sunlight are amazing!

Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 PM

746 posts, read 483,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Feeling happy and just loving how the sunlight and clouds constantly change my balcony view of the mountains and valley. Heavy fog yesterday morning had me feeling a bit down, but today the sun keeps breaking through all the cloud cover and the changes in sunlight are amazing!
Yes, the times after storms are some of the most beautiful in this beautiful state!

I think there is more rain/snow coming tomorrow, but then it starts to clear out again. Enjoy!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:42 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,672,293 times
Just came back to this thread because it is wonderful.

Today my kitties made me laugh many, many times, and of course that made me happy.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,865,001 times
Had a lovely blue-sky crisp air walk with sweet DH and lively pup we're pet-sitting. Met an nice woman walking her 14 year-old Cocker Spaniel. Had a friendly chat while the two dogs got acquainted. Not dramatic...but just nice.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM

634 posts, read 404,645 times
Today I made 72 teeny tiny molded spoons from polymer clay. I will be using them when I make "Autistic Pride" necklaces for the next AutHaven. The theme of the retreat is "sharing spoons." In the Autistic community, there is an expression, "running out of spoons," which has a rather long explanantion which I will not elaborate on right now.

We will also be sharing the story of the spoons with heaven and hell where the 2 places are both located in lavish dining rooms with wonderful food. in the hell room, people are crying and screaming in anguish and frustration. You see, rather than arms, they have long spoons attached to their bodies. The long spoons would reach to the succulent food, but having no elbows to bend, they were unable to bring the food to their mouths.

The second room, heaven was identical, complete with long spoons rather than arms, and everyone was laughing and happy. the difference? In heaven they were reaching to the opposite side of the table and feeding each other.

This years theme is based on the premise that since Autistic people tend to excel in certain areas and are beyond confused by others [no, not like everyone. our skill sets are way extreme either way] that if we know there are others to share spoons when we run out, or to use their spoons in a way we are personally not capable of, then we can do anything.

I also did a little [very little] researching for information I need for a subject I will be discussing on my Vlog, which should be up by Easter if renovating these houses doesn't take too long. When the vlog is up, I will be wearing some of my Autistic Pride jewelry, so you will all be able to see them then.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM

tentatively the vlog will be called "The Antique Autistic," and the name I will assume is Veejay. [for just Vicky]

Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM

I mean Jayvee

Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
This past Sunday night I attended a Los Angeles Master Chorale performance of Verdi's "Requiem". Sundays feature light traffic around here - I am ten to twleve minutes from downtown on a Sunday. Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or