U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM

662 posts, read 481,369 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me happy.

Nearly every day my 18 month old grandson comes to visit me (he lives downstairs) and we make the rounds together: the light switch that controls the ceiling fan (1. "on", turn head to look at fan; 2. "off", turn head to look at fan; repeat until bored with it; then climb stairs to do the same with the switch that controls it upstairs), the toilet (he takes my hand and makes me flush it while he watches ever-so-tentatively), climbing the stairs to open/close/open/close the closet door that squeaks like mad and he loves it, flipping the spring-loaded doorstop that makes a racket; then there's the water play in the sink with the step-stool and a towel covering his front because he turns the faucet on full blast and the splash goes everywhere.

I was just about to post here about this when he came for his visit again today.

Gad I love being a grandma. And he sure seems to think I'm wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:41 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyps View Post
My husband early-retired 6 months ago and it has been such a time of transition and adjustment. Things are finally starting to feel like a "new normal" (yay) and we just booked a monthlong trip to the blue ridge mountains������
My very favorite thing about retirement is being able to take those l-o-n-g trips. Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 AM

25,108 posts, read 23,994,460 times
I'm thrilled that I don't have to get up early. I am not a morning person.

Every once in a while, I'd wake early and feel great. The other 360, I drag myself into the day. I'm one of those, "don't even look at me until I've had caffeine" types. Many mornings were just OK, and some of them were terrible.

My sister brought this up a few months ago. She said that she has never, not even once, woken up feeling well rested and refreshed. She retires later this year, and said what she is looking forward to is sleeping in.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 AM

10,394 posts, read 9,405,924 times
Am enjoying retirement and very content. Interestingly though, there are other retirees who can't understand how in the world I can be so content without being able to travel and spend oodles of money on whatever. But that's just me. . . have never had extra money to burn and guess I'm used to it.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
I woke up this morning to a winter scene with white lawn and snow decorated trees. Last year, I was so sick of mountains of snow but now I enjoy finally experiencing a 'real' winter. The experience is specially enhanced while sipping a hot cup of morning coffee inside a warm home. Last night, we finally succeeded in repairing the oil burner furnace after almost two days of coping with the lack of central heat and no hot water.

The furnace stopped working Sunday morning. We simply could not restart the burner. As usual, we searched the internet for diagnostic and repair tips. We had plenty of oil, the motor was working, there was a fine spray of oil so the filter was not clogged. There was sparks across the transformer's coils but no flames. We set and reset the igniter's gap with no luck.

With further internet search and great help from youtube videos produced by the site below, I concluded that the transformer was bad because the sparks were very weak.

Gray Furnaceman Furnace Troubleshoot and Repair - Home

All the heating & plumbing shops were closed on Sunday. We made do with burning wood in our fireplace. It was quite cozy Sunday night sitting by the crackling fire while watching a movie. My husband fondly recalled the early days of our marriage in our first home. Instead of going on a honeymoon right away, we spent our vacation building two brick fireplaces both with heatilators. We were quite frugal and tried to save money like mad to pay off the mortgage (we had 50% down payment and paid it off in 2 years). During winter months, we slept in the living room next to the fireplace instead of our bedroom to save gas heating bills! The idea still sounds quite 'romantic' but it is quite a bit of effort to drag our mattress to the living room so we hauled a space heater to the bedroom instead.

On Monday, our 'ordeal' was not over until late in the day. My husband spent most of the day on the phone and driving back and forth to several HVAC shops before finally finding the correct transformer. The problem was due to mislabeling. The transformer had the sticker of a wrong model, a Sid Harvey T93E instead of T92E.

The first two shops which we contacted did not carry Sid Harvey, but we had found a cross reference chart and asked them for the corresponding model from another brand. The first salesperson convinced my husband to take a Beckett model off by a number from what indicated by the chart. When he took it home, it had both the wrong dimension and voltage/amp ratings. I disconnected the transformer so that my husband could take it back to the shop. This time, a different salesperson looked at it and told him he had one with the right dimensions, but again the model number did not match the chart. When I looked at the fine prints of the specs, the voltages were close but the amperages were way off! We called another HVAC shop and was very happy to hear that they had the correct Beckett model in stock. I was very surprise to see my husband came home empty handed after 2 hours. The supposedly correct Beckett model looked completely different from the original Sid Harvey transformer.

We were finally convinced that it would be best to find the correct Sid Harvey transformer instead of using any substitute models. I printed the names and locations of over 20 HVAC shops within 50 miles radius. The first shop did not have carry Sid Harvey but the salesperson wisely advised my husband to check SH's site for a local dealer. We hit pay dirt and found a dealer within 10 miles. The saleswoman there was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and competent. She looked at the old transformer and immediately noticed that it was mislabeled. She speculated that a repairman might have a bunch of transformers and somehow mislabeled them. So this mislabeling was the reason why we could not find any correct substitute models.

After wiring in the new transformer and screwing it in place, we cleared all the tools and items near the furnace. We also had a fire extinguisher ready for just in case. My husband turned the power back on, flipped the switch and the amazing yellow flame came to life. There was some smoke from oil residues from previous restart attempts but this was expected. Life is good if not wonderful again!

Having a broken furnace in the middle of winter sounded like a 'disaster' but we really lucked out this time with relatively mild weather. We had not used the fireplace for years because we did not have the time to clean the chimney. Last month, I took advantage of an over 60F day and tried out the SootEater Rotary Chimney Cleaning tool. It worked like a champ. The fireplace provided us with the much needed heat this time but also brought back great memories. It could have taken less time to repair the furnace if we had contacted a repair shop, but I had a lot of fun trying to figure out the problem and doing the work ourselves. Nothing makes a 'geek' like me more satisfied than a successful repair job. It only cost us $50 for the transformer. The 'miser' in me is happy too ;-)

Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,335,362 times
What a wonderful thread.

Another glorious morning to enjoy.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 AM

1,324 posts, read 839,797 times
I'm at peace with myself and my surroundings for the first time in many, many years. I know I have only been here for four months, but I'm just loving living in Arizona! The little town I selected has been wonderful and filled with so many friendly and helpful people.

A few people on the AZ forums have talked about how bad living in Cochise County is due to the border crossings and meth dealers, but I haven't found it that way at all. Coming from a very high crime area (gunshots heard almost once a week if not more often), this place is heavenly in comparison! I love the weather - in the 70s in February while Boston is getting a blizzard and weather back in Chicagoland in the 20-30s and snowing

I'm enjoying finding garage sale and thrift store items and refinishing them. I found a 6 drawer all wood chest for only $20, a 2 drawer night stand for $10, and I love how both turned out once refinished. I'm also enjoying creating dreamcatchers to decorate, and I also found a very lovely Helen Paul print for only $3.

Today I'm headed out to Tombstone to listen enjoy some music with my new friends. Hope everyone else has a wonderful day too!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM

662 posts, read 481,369 times
I was stressed today due to some news I received last night, and while my dental hygienist was cleaning my teeth we got to chatting, and I told her about it and she was so nice and caring. She applied an anesthetic to my gums (never did that before) because she said I was stressed enough, and she got the dentist to give me a reference I need for the issue that arose, AND she massaged my shoulders!

I gave her a big hug before I left too. Her kindness made a difference in my day today.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,703,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm at peace with myself and my surroundings for the first time in many, many years. I know I have only been here for four months, but I'm just loving living in Arizona! The little town I selected has been wonderful and filled with so many friendly and helpful people.

A few people on the AZ forums have talked about how bad living in Cochise County is due to the border crossings and meth dealers, but I haven't found it that way at all. Coming from a very high crime area (gunshots heard almost once a week if not more often), this place is heavenly in comparison! I love the weather - in the 70s in February while Boston is getting a blizzard and weather back in Chicagoland in the 20-30s and snowing

I'm enjoying finding garage sale and thrift store items and refinishing them. I found a 6 drawer all wood chest for only $20, a 2 drawer night stand for $10, and I love how both turned out once refinished. I'm also enjoying creating dreamcatchers to decorate, and I also found a very lovely Helen Paul print for only $3.

Today I'm headed out to Tombstone to listen enjoy some music with my new friends. Hope everyone else has a wonderful day too!

I am so happy for you. I knew you'd love AZ even though I admit I'm still kind of disappointed you didn't move up here! But I AM happy that you found such a good place for you.

I have a couple of refinishing projects lined up myself but want to wait for warmer and nicer weather since I'll have to do it in the garage. It's been pretty nice here though. In the 70s all week and pushing 80 by the weekend. Yay! Today I had both front and back doors open all day. Sure was nice. It's still chilly in the early AM so run the heat long enough to warm it up.

Hope you had fun in Tombstone. It's an interesting place.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM

29,829 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
What a wonderful thread.

Another glorious morning to enjoy.
Bada Bing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or