U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 03:54 PM

746 posts, read 484,039 times

Advertisements

Yes, spring is a beautiful time of year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM

635 posts, read 405,599 times
We picked up 7 new baby chicks yesterday. They are doing great! One so far has a little problem with "pasty butt" but we are keeping everything clear and flowing. I also ordered a meyer dwarf lemon tree that we can keep inside. It will help keep the air clean and smelling nice, make an interesting conversation piece and supply us with lemons for up to 30 years. Just finished restaining and sealing cupboards. They came out beautifully. We will be picking up the hardware today and replace on Monday, which is the day the guys are going to be putting carpet downstairs [our only non diy]

Yesterday I also mixed up a batch of dough for artisan bread. It took less than 10 minutes work time, and I can just pull out a handful, top it if desired,score, let rise a bit, and have fresh baked bread for about 35 cents a loaf. [ definitely will be doing gifting, possibly trading?]

Right now it is nine thirty in the morning and I am still curled up in bed eating strawberries and drinking coffee. Youngest son is in his bedroom still sleeping, plans to go fishing with my husband early evening and my husband is watching "The Price is Right." which he always fantasized about watching during retirement. life is good!

Old 03-26-2016, 01:30 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,600,185 times
Just saw this thread again so thought I'd share my latest addiction, watching the DC eagles who just hatched two eaglets. The live cam is so much fun. They are about a week old and today are peaking out from under mom (or maybe dad). Have fun watching Washington DC Live Bald Eagle Cam

Old 03-26-2016, 05:38 PM

13,265 posts, read 6,351,451 times
This week has been good. I finished my sister's garden. My own garden is just beautiful, I'm out there watching my 3 little apricots, yes fruits not plants.
On other front, my college kid has 3 summer internships and brought home stellar grades, despite having a very tough and heavy course load. One thing I was worry that she might not be able to find a job to support herself when my husband and I retire, that will not be a worry this summer.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:13 PM

Apricots, gardens, eagles and bragging on our kids! It ddon't get no better than this!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM

Pulled out the nasty old carpet from living room in order to replace it with a laminate floor. We had been told that there would be concrete under the carpet but was happily surprised to discover hard wood and in pretty darn good shape. So we just need to light sand and seal it [it is in that good of shape] We had bought the laminate flooring a couple of months ago, and lost the receipt and cannot get our money back, BUT they did give us a card to use to buy more home depot products. The card should have enough credit on it for the last of the home repairs, more gardening supplies, and a few other things. Feels like Christmas!

The little formerly homeless , pregnant girl who has been staying with us told me today that she wants me to be her mom. it made me cry so happy. I will NEVER stop loving my real daughter, but it feels so good to have someone to give some of that love to

I am starting to make some good friends at the senior citizen center which makes me feel so blessed. PLUS, we found a new sponsor for AutHaven, which is always a good thing.

To top it all off, we invited about 10 of our neighbors to dinner last night. TONS of leftovers, so I did not even have to make dinner. Starting to feel like a spoiled princess.

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 04-15-2016 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: inserted homeless

Old 04-15-2016, 10:38 PM

13,265 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Yay for food and for feeling as a spoiled princess. This week my husband feels like a a spoiled prince. He got better retirement pension estimate from his country of origin. I thought he might not have credit for full pension but they sent a letter to say he will in a few month. Then we went out to buy a new battery for my dying iPhone(for my husband) and Apple replaced a brand new iPhone for the price of a battery. My husband is now up to date with the rest of the world, smart phone that is. We celebrated with coffee and cake. Highlights of our retirement week.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:02 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Some good Bada Bing stories. Congrats!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,036,846 times
I am moving this week to my home at the lake just south of the city. I have been staying in an apartment in order to work downtown (7.5 miles away) and it generally takes me 30-45 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic to get in to work.
I decided I would prefer to drive just a little longer (just about exactly 1 hr.) each way and instead my drive will be by the lake and beautiful country views until I actually get in to the city!
I love my home at the lake and feel so blessed to have been able to secure it for my retirement...cannot WAIT to be living there full time...it's quiet and I can hear the birds sing instead of horns blaring and people talking and yelling!

God willing this time next week I'll be having my morning coffee on my front porch, listening to the water and the birds...I feel totally blessed...

Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM

29,788 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I am moving this week to my home at the lake just south of the city. I have been staying in an apartment in order to work downtown (7.5 miles away) and it generally takes me 30-45 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic to get in to work.
I decided I would prefer to drive just a little longer (just about exactly 1 hr.) each way and instead my drive will be by the lake and beautiful country views until I actually get in to the city!
I love my home at the lake and feel so blessed to have been able to secure it for my retirement...cannot WAIT to be living there full time...it's quiet and I can hear the birds sing instead of horns blaring and people talking and yelling!

God willing this time next week I'll be having my morning coffee on my front porch, listening to the water and the birds...I feel totally blessed...
Awesome and yes you are blessed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or