Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:04 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

If you like a post, give them a rep point for spreading their happy share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Well it's raining today. But I'm retired now (Very Happy) so I don't have to go out in it.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:14 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Good idea for a thread.

Unfortunately sometimes the best happiness is just the resolution of some bad issues. My sister is facing at least 3 major issues....life threatening sorts of things. Two seem to have greatly improved if not entirely resolved. There is hope for the third as well.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:23 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
My printer died (sad) but we bought a new one (happy). Couldn't figure out how to connect the new one to the computer (sad). Called our IT person who called me back today... a Sunday... and told me what to do (happy). Then the IT person didn't charge me. Very happy.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:25 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Here are some of the things which made me feel warm and fuzzy inside today:

1. Husband and I had a great time viewing some snippets of these 25-30 years old family movies which I am converting from VHS tapes to DVD (I do it every few years to send out to my families as Xmas gifts):

- Our little girl was so pretty, adorable and smart. She still is! She is visiting her boyfriend's family and in the process of buying her first home Yay! We are so proud of her.

- My husband looked so handsome in the old movies made 30+ years ago. He still is even with his gray hair;-)

- I still have some of the clothes which I wore in the movies (a yellow summer dress, a navy top and a red cardigan). They still fit me, and these simple classic pieces of clothing never go out of style.

- We had many fun family Christmas get together at my parents' old home with brothers and sisters came home with their young children from all over the US. With my father's passing and mother moved to the East Coast, a big family gathering had not been possible in almost 10 years but we all have wonderful memories.

2. I had a great visit with my 89 years old mother today:

- She cooked some special foods and they were all delicious. My mother took great pleasure in telling me how to prepare the dishes. Yes, I could make them myself but I know my mother loves to cook for her children and to teach us how to make things.

- As usual, my mother and sister insisted that I take home all kinds of fruits and produce from their garden. I took home another bushel of apples for more apple sauce and all kinds of vegetables.

- My mother was very active in this warm 60 degrees weather. She helped me to sort the foods and even try to lug them to the car (I had to grab things away from her hands)! Gosh, she is still quite strong in spite of having a bad back, a bad knee and a bad foot. I am glad that I inherit the could-not-sit-still gene from my mother.

- My mother and I exchanged our customary jokes loaded with double entendre as she hobbled on her bad foot walked me out to the car. Today, she started the joke in a French word so I replied back to her in French. Gosh, I had not spoken French in ages. It was so much fun. Oh yes, I am glad that I also inherit my mother's sense of humor.

I am just so blessed!

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-13-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 04:05 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
My wife and I had a nice visit from a family member from out of state. The weather all week was beautiful so we enjoyed the time spent. My daughter who lives local, just left from a visit with our first grandchild, only 6 weeks old. It never gets old seeing my beautiful wife hold my new grandson. Happy days everyone.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:23 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
TuborgP, what a wonderful idea for a thread.

I was having a "blah" day (it's colder today than it's been), but I read through the posts here and most made me smile (at least). So I rep'd everyone who posted. That silly little thing made me happy.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
An old, old friend from almost 50 years ago found my sister, who had changed her name back to our maiden name, & subsequently we were re-introduced. We were friends from the time we were 14 until our middle 20's when we lost touch.

What an awesome abundance of memories came rushing through me & for a while, I was 14 again.

She now lives in West Virginia and I plan to visit in the spring.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
You know, there are just some days when life hands you lemons. My favorite way to make lemonade is to visit my neighbors. He's 94, she's 90. Always happy to see me, always have a pot of coffee on, always have some news about the gardening. We talked about the unseasonably warm weather, the lack of snow, and which seed sellers have new varieties of tomatoes. Then I went outside and put up a 12 x 20 hoop house in their garden. They'd never had one before. They were like 2 kids at Christmas!

How's them lemons?

Old 12-13-2015, 06:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
About to watch the original film of Fiddler on the Roof (for the upteenth time). A definite upper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement