Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times

Advertisements

We have very little money, but it's all good. If circumstances put Bobby, my son, and myself into a cave, well, I can still be happy. That is not what makes me wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night. What tempers my joy is my fear about my husband or myself dying. It's pretty much inevitable. I know there are many happy retirees out there. Are any of those happy retirees widowed with a late spouse they adored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,777 times
I am not retired but I was widowed. My current husband is retired and he was widowed too. Is there a specific question I can answer for you?

Old 12-14-2015, 02:19 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
We have very little money, but it's all good. If circumstances put Bobby, my son, and myself into a cave, well, I can still be happy. That is not what makes me wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night. What tempers my joy is my fear about my husband or myself dying. It's pretty much inevitable. I know there are many happy retirees out there. Are any of those happy retirees widowed with a late spouse they adored?
Yes, there are some of us out here.
Starting life over , living alone as a "happy" single person after 53 years of being a married one, didn't happen quickly or without pain, but it can happen.
It makes it a lot easier if you are or learn to be, more self sufficient before it happens so you aren't shell shocked by having to learn how to manage all the mundane matters of daily life .

Old 12-14-2015, 05:55 AM

555 posts, read 892,189 times
I am not yet retired, but I was widowed in my forties and consider myself a happy person (and did so even before remarrying). The secret for me was not to let widowhood define my life, so as soon as I could function, I started saying "yes" to opportunities that arose and moving out of my comfort zone, which didn't really exist at that point, anyway.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
I retired in 07, moved to a new town, my wife died within months of our moving to the new house. After a few years I moved on and began dating at age 64, eventually meeting a very nice woman and getting married in 2011 and moving again. We never know what life will be about in the near term, I think, that like a good book, there are surprises in the plot, we understand at some point that grief is simply the initial emotion experienced in a new chapter and not necessarily a permanent response to loss, or a life ended. At seventy I'm more convinced than ever that life is more about chaos and surprises than it ever could be about what is predictable.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM

168 posts, read 174,509 times
It has been 4 years since my husband died. We were married for 38 uears. The first year passed in a fog. The second in disbelief. The third in great sorrow. Then I made a decision to be happy. It was a choice. I work at it every day. But now I see moments of joy in a beautiful day, a grandchilds smile, or just the feeling of contentment. But every morning I have to make that choice.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Yes, there is life after a spouse dies. It can be a great life or it can stink on ice. YOU get to decide. The greatest gift you can give each other is to get your finances/wills, etc in order. If your spouse dies without a will, in most states you will lose half to someone else. Most likely his/her closest relative... And that's a disaster of epic proportions you can control. Make sure the house/property is joint tenancy so the survivor can keep it. Get all your financial ducks in a row while both of you are alive.

The reason I talk about this every chance I get is because my H dropped dead at 61 and had done none of the above. No illness, no time to prepare. I ended up losing literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to his relatives. The one who benefited most is a worthless felon who has been a freeloader all his life. But that's the law! And it made me relatively poor instead of relatively well off. If there was one thing I would change, we would have done all of the above!

Talk about this with your spouse. I did and we decided decades ago, whomever was left was to treat it as a do over and have as much fun as possible. Not waste years grieving over something we couldn't change. Life happens, death happens. One of you has to die first. We have no control. Maybe this sounds harsh but if you die tomorrow do you honestly wish years of misery on your spouse? Or would you rather they enjoy the time they have left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement