U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,479,613 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. I know that there isn't an accurate number that would be applicable all locations, but what is a typical cost for a plot? Say in a small rural town. I thought it would be 'cool' to be buried my great-great grandparents, but it is a topic that I haven't really thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 PM

207 posts, read 132,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am one of those "cremation types".
It burns me up to say this, but so am I.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:44 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,976 times
No, in my city I can be cremated and
buried on top of my parents.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,359,934 times
My mom bought spots for all the kids and their spouses in the family plot. There is a cost to be interred in the plot that can be pre-paid at any time, which I believe my sisters did so several years ago.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:16 PM

14,425 posts, read 7,939,946 times
Yikes no. I don't want to be in the ground. I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered with John's and our pets in a special place in the Bahamas where we had our honeymoon. Sometimes I think it would be nice if we were all somehow hidden in the walls of our house though. I fully intend to haunt it if possible

Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
I've already pre-paid for cremation for myself, but my mother had her own burial plot near her parents, her brother and his wife, and a few other relatives. When she died in 2005, her having that plot was one less arrangement for me and my sister to make (one less decision too), and also one less item of cost. We appreciated it, but had she not had it, we would have coped just fine.

As corny and as irrational as it may be, it is a source of comfort for us that our mother is near her own parents and other family. (Yes, I am aware that "she" is not really there; only her remains are there).

Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 PM

3,725 posts, read 2,205,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am one of those "cremation types".
Yep, already told my SO that I want to be cremated and he may do what he wants with the ashes. Funeral costs are such a scam!!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Yep, already told my SO that I want to be cremated and he may do what he wants with the ashes. Funeral costs are such a scam!!

They absolutely are a scam. They prey on the emotionally vulnerable.

I want to be cremated and then put in a floatable urn and then onto a marine biologists ship so I can prepare for my next life - listen & learn. I will be so smart by the time I pop out again I should complete college by the age of 10.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:09 PM

13,093 posts, read 13,702,351 times
once on a vacation to go to a wedding for a cousin from the family I'd just married into, we'd only been married a short time, the in-laws took us for a drive and we wound up at a cemetery. My in-laws proceeded to point out "this is where G will be buried" (my new husband) "and this is where you will be buried" they pointed to another chunk of ground. They did not ask, they TOLD me. It creeped me out. They were bossy that way, telling us what to do, not asking, and it was one of the many things we fought about in our marriage, that they told us where to get buried. I did not like that one bit. After 13 years we got divorced and I am happy to say that I get to pick my own burial plot.

No, i do not have a plot yet, but I can tell you for sure that it is NOT in the family compound of my ex-in-laws. It makes me happy every time I think of this.

Also one of my favorite movies is "Meet the Parents" I think it is hilarious, so I told my grown sons (they are now in their 30s) they can watch that each year after I am gone and remember how much I liked it. They have not yet agreed to this.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,240,275 times
I have thought about this a time or two. I'm in L.A., my sister and her family is in Vegas and my son is in San Diego. So, nobody's ever going to come "visit" me anyway. I'm thinking of doing the Neptune Society thing. At least then I can check out the hot girls on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or