U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 PM

5,270 posts, read 3,030,249 times

Advertisements

My parents bought 6 plots. After they were buried, my sister and I sold the vacant ones back to the cemetery. The cemetery is in NY and we both live in FL.

As a veteran I could be buried in a national cemetery, but that doesn't appeal to me.

We will be cremated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 PM

9,692 posts, read 15,884,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Actually, here in Texas (and in other states, as well), individuals do NOT own the land -- they own only the right to be buried under it. The cemetery retains ownership of the land/plot.

I learned this when an attorney, to whom my family had paid good money, prepared a deed that was later declared ineffective because it transferred ownership of the land (which was not proper because the cemetery owns the land itself) but did not address ownership of the right to be interred below the land.

Didn't know that
Does that apply to burial niches for ashes?

We still have MIL ashes, cost a fortune just to cremate her, we can't afford to open/close her grave. We're thinking of selling the grave, then using that to buy a niche.....or maybe we can just rent a UPS box....then......run away

Old 12-14-2015, 11:30 PM

9,692 posts, read 15,884,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My parents bought 6 plots. After they were buried, my sister and I sold the vacant ones back to the cemetery. The cemetery is in NY and we both live in FL.

As a veteran I could be buried in a national cemetery, but that doesn't appeal to me.

We will be cremated.

In some VA cemeteries, they are "stacking" bodies several to a grave. I don't know how they handle the headstone(s), but the idea of a dignified burial doesn't fit that

Old 12-15-2015, 12:00 AM

749 posts, read 570,223 times
Retired two yeas ago and to me life has just started.....so easing about funeral plots in this forum is strange. I appreciate planning ahead but retirement does not mean death! That can happen at any age.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:40 AM

4,069 posts, read 1,562,673 times
I own 5 - bought 3 when my 18 year old daughter died (in the early 80s) and 2 when my first wife died in 2000. (we had moved from where our daughter was buried)

Now remarried and we will both be cremated and our ashes mixed and will be scattered into to Pacific Ocean.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:23 AM

224 posts, read 431,064 times
Have owned a two crypt mausoleum since my 30's. Now age 68 and 750 miles away, but wife & I will be returned to final resting place next to my parents & grandparents in the prepaid mausoleum.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,444,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
There may be some cremation types here but for all others, do you own your plot? My wife and I do and no thanks to me. She took the initiative when they had a 2-for-1 special over a dozen years ago. It's at a Catholic cemetery where all our people are buried.

I made a joke out of it years ago when real estate prices were south saying that it was the only piece of dirt we owned that actually increased in value last year.
What happens if you move to another state? Transporting your body could be very expensive

Old 12-15-2015, 08:20 AM

6,609 posts, read 3,684,120 times
Yes -- there is a stone with my name on it sitting there...waiting. Not so morbid, actually. Wife is buried there.

I moved 1,000 miles since then but that's not my problem by the time I will be going there.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 AM

6,609 posts, read 3,684,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In some VA cemeteries, they are "stacking" bodies several to a grave. I don't know how they handle the headstone(s), but the idea of a dignified burial doesn't fit that

Stacking two people in the same hole is not that uncommon. I think you can specify that when you purchase a plot - they asked, I think. My old Irish relatives are buried that way in a Catholic cemetery but none recently that I know of.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:47 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Default Do you own your funeral plot

Nope! Each of us will be cremated and scattered but not in the same place. We could be buried or ensconced in a nearby veterans cemetery but we'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or