U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They absolutely are a scam. They prey on the emotionally vulnerable.

I want to be cremated and then put in a floatable urn and then onto a marine biologists ship so I can prepare for my next life - listen & learn. I will be so smart by the time I pop out again I should complete college by the age of 10.

You want to come back and do it again? Once was enough for me thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Many years ago my grandfather puchased a ten grave plot. My parents and grandparents and a great aunt are there. My sister and I and husbands always planned to be buried there.
However we just moved to West Virginia and I don't want to be transported back to Cape Cod, So we are going to be buried in the West Virginia National cemetery in Grafton WV.

That way they provide the grave, grave liner opening of the grave, Marble headstone etc. all at no charge and they will be well maintained as long as the US government lasts.

My sister, who is in CA has always been deathly afraid of fire. And I can't believe it but she has decided to be creamated. and Perhaps her ashes will eventually make it to that family plot.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In some VA cemeteries, they are "stacking" bodies several to a grave. I don't know how they handle the headstone(s), but the idea of a dignified burial doesn't fit that
They are not stacking bodies indiscriminently as you imply. They stack bodies of veteran and spouse and if there are any minor children that are eligible, also if there are more eligible than fit in one grave they assign another one.

My plan is to be buried in a national cemetery with my husband in the same grave as you say. I have in fact been planning my funeral all this last week and looking at caskets online.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM

15,878 posts, read 6,248,592 times
My great aunt's husband was buried during 1969. They had no natural children. My great aunt was buried in the same plot in 1999, leaving two spaces. My mother decided to "go in" with my stepfather in his large family plot. I guess my wife and I are going into my great aunt's plot.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
They are not stacking bodies indiscriminently as you imply. They stack bodies of veteran and spouse and if there are any minor children that are eligible, also if there are more eligible than fit in one grave they assign another one.

My plan is to be buried in a national cemetery with my husband in the same grave as you say. I have in fact been planning my funeral all this last week and looking at caskets online.

This sounds like a very sensible thing to do. Eventually we are going to run out of land.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You want to come back and do it again? Once was enough for me thanks.

Ha! Yes I want to come back but I wouldn't do it the same way - move onto Plan B, or C~~~or Z.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
No, in my city I can be cremated and
buried on top of my parents.
I would not want to end up anywhere near my mother. Already I hear her complaining from the afterlife.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
One way to go:

Bye-Bye Coffins, These Organic Burial Pods Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees

Old 12-15-2015, 03:17 PM

207 posts, read 131,930 times
My wife asked me what kind of funeral I wanted. I told her to surprise me.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:38 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Nope. When I die they can feed me to the wolves for all I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or