U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 AM

49 posts, read 33,748 times

Advertisements

Yes. It has enough additional spaces (no stacking) so that my son will have it available if they eventually want any of those for himself or his family; he will inherit the plot.

I also designed and had the stone created and placed; all that's missing is the final date. There is room on the other side of the stone for the addition of the other family members later.

Someone asked about costs: The plot itself cost $10,500 back in 2006. It's in a beautiful private cemetery that dates back to the 1700s. The custom granite headstone was about $6000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 AM

3,754 posts, read 2,218,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronaria View Post
Someone asked about costs: The plot itself cost $10,500 back in 2006. It's in a beautiful private cemetery that dates back to the 1700s. The custom granite headstone was about $6000.
That's more than my car cost new! No thank you

Thanks for the addition to my todo list: make sure I've got something written down about cremation in case my SO & I go at the same time. He knows but no one else does.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,722,260 times
A friend of mine was cremated when she died and had her ashes scattered in the woods where she liked to hike. Her memorial was held there. Coincidentally, her kitty died a few days after she did so both their ashes were scattered together. Best memorial service I have ever gone to.

As for me, I am going to join the Neptune Society and have them take care of the details.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:40 PM

12,830 posts, read 14,140,755 times
Back in the Sixties my mother purchased a plot for my father, herself and me. And even furnished it was a tombstone with my birth date on it and just waiting for my death date. I was only in my twenties, but my mother was one possessive and presumptuous creature. I only found out about it when we arrived at the grave for the burial of my father.

I now own the plot and the tombstone. The first thing I did upon inheriting the plot was to have my name and date chiseled into blanks.

My cremation is planned, my plot is the Atlantic coast of Europe.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:37 PM

168 posts, read 130,365 times
Have a plot in Arlington National Cemetery where my husband is buried near his parents, his brother, and my parents...

Old 12-18-2015, 03:40 PM

49 posts, read 33,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Back in the Sixties my mother purchased a plot for my father, herself and me. And even furnished it was a tombstone with my birth date on it and just waiting for my death date. I was only in my twenties, but my mother was one possessive and presumptuous creature. I only found out about it when we arrived at the grave for the burial of my father.
When I bought my plot, it was with the intention/knowledge that my son will eventually inherit it and can do whatever he likes with the remaining spaces. In fact I don't think he knows that there is space for more than just me, because when I told him I was going to take care of buying a site in advance, he didn't even want me to talk about the subject. Among the papers that he's instructed to open at my passing is all the info he willn eed about it, including the fact that there is additional 'room' IF ever he wants to make use of it.

Truth be told, the main reason I bought a full plot is because I hate the cheek-by-jowl crowding found in most cemeteries, LOL, especially the ones established in the 20th century. No 'character', no real beauty, no sense of timelessless...just row upon row of either bronze markers or similar upright rectangular slabs. The spot I chose is near the top of a small hill, and is flanked by three monuments dating from the early 1800s; really pretty.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronaria View Post
....Truth be told, the main reason I bought a full plot is because I hate the cheek-by-jowl crowding found in most cemeteries, LOL, especially the ones established in the 20th century. No 'character', no real beauty, no sense of timelessless...just row upon row of either bronze markers or similar upright rectangular slabs. The spot I chose is near the top of a small hill, and is flanked by three monuments dating from the early 1800s; really pretty.
I agree with you, that look is so depressing.

When my mother's mother died in 1922, my grandfather purchased a plot in the cemetery of the hamlet near to which they lived. It was on a high hill over looking the little village below and across a wide valley to the hills on the other side. Really lovely, so much so that I really enjoyed our trips to the cemetery when I was a youngster.

Today the family graves stretch to one side almost to the fence: my grandfather, my sister, two aunts and their spouses and just recently the husband of a cousin. My father's maternal and paternal families take up a large space of more than thirty graves in a small town cemetery, surrounding the stones of my immigrant great grandparents.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:35 PM

13,419 posts, read 6,417,350 times
Depressing topic, but the answer is no.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,346,392 times
My two sisters have been laid in the cemetery. It upsets me so much I sometimes wish they were dead.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Depressing topic, but the answer is no.
Nobody's immortal, it's just permanent retirement planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or