U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM

3,981 posts, read 2,538,731 times

Advertisements

I worked in a fairly small machine shop the last 13 years of working. I used to stop in when I was going that way occasionally and they were always happy to see me. But its been 10 years now and I drove right by last week and didn't stop. I felt kind of afraid to, after all its a buisness where everyone is working.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
I retired 5 years ago and, over that period, my interest in keeping in touch has gradually tailed off. The firm does do events for certain retirees and I cherry pick which ones interest me but not based on who might be there; it is more on how much fun or how interesting the event might be. So, now, my only contacts are with colleagues who became friends and we do not discuss work.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,380,853 times
Retired 7 years ago. Get a annual invitation to the company retiree luncheon. Have never gone since I now live 2k miles from my old company. I have 3 old work mates on Facebook.
I also still get an annual request to contribute to United Way which I ignore. Figure the upper management folks can handle that.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:13 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
I get together on an irregular basis for lunch with a few former colleagues with whom I've kept in touch. The war stories and the news of other people are fun.

There is one situation of a regular lunch - second Monday every other month - for retirees from a particular work site. That is an open event, and there may be people I like as well as people I don't. I go sometimes and generally enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:35 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Making time to keep a true friendship alive is more difficult when people worked together but that was their only contact time.
Yeah. I know. I had to marry one to get enough time with her and keep it alive.

Quote:
IF you have friends from work that really are friends and not nice co-workers then it is worth taking time keep in touch. IF you only exchanged pleasantries sitting in the lunch room or before a meeting started--that is not much to give up.
I keep in touch with one from my last place of work and only her. After I retired and before my wife and I moved, she and I met for coffee one morning a week after which she went to work and I went to a nearby farmers market.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-14-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 11:55 AM

6,549 posts, read 7,970,518 times
A lot has to do with the culture of the place you retired from. Was it friendly and supportive? Were employees encouraged to get together and congregate for lunch and breaktimes? Were you ever invited to your boss's house? Or was it every man for himself, sports talk, and dog eat dog with a superficial smile? If the former then you might have developed actual friendships. When I retired I was 15 yrs older than almost everyone in the department. There was not a lot to bind us together other than the work aspects. And this was a multinational company. The company never respected its retirees by inviting them back for events like Christmas lunches. They were too worried they'd spill the secrets.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:01 PM

30,073 posts, read 47,320,143 times
[quote=Curmudgeon;42279100]
Quote:
Making time to keep a true friendship alive is more difficult when people worked together but that was their only contact time.

Yeah. I know. I had to marry one to get enough time with her and keep it alive....
Funny
I have never worked with anyone I would have wanted to date/marry--but married fairly early and then was stay at home mom for long time...

Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,150,955 times
I retired 3 years ago this month, by selling my trucking business. I sold it to a group of sons of my former employees. Part of the deal was that I would hold some stock in the company (partial financing, as they did not have cash, just a loan). I am also a consultant if any issues come up that they need help with.

So in that respect, I do keep in touch, although it is not very often now.

The ones that I really enjoy seeing, when I am in my former state (RI) are the actual guys that I worked with, the dads of the boys who run the company now. These are my old hunting and fishing buddies! We still get together at the gun club, or to charter a fishing boat. For me, it's good stuff!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:58 PM

14,383 posts, read 7,918,717 times
I see some of my ex coworkers every day on Facebook. I still have a really close relationship with a few ex coworkers from all of my jobs that I see from time to time. I haven't gone back for visits to any of the places I left for any functions. I just don't feel the need.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:08 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
jim9251, I do not use Facebook, so my question is 'the employees complain and whine' publicly so that anyone reading can see it, or are only certain 'friends' able to see the complaining and whining about the company?

just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or