U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:14 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,604,518 times

Advertisements

Just ran across this article on cbsnews.com.

If you're not invited to the traditional Xmas party this season, maybe this is the reason. Does it surprise you?

Why more employers are nixing holiday parties

Why more employers are nixing holiday parties - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 04:26 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I keep in touch through social media and email. I don't see them often because I moved 2500 miles away. I do get together with someone a couple times a year when they come to Vegas.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 PM

30,071 posts, read 47,312,423 times
Re the reduction in office parties--
Company my husband retired from was hosting a couple of large parties--one at Thanksgiving which was for families, a Christmas party for staff during the day at local corporate club, and a larger early summer party with golf tournament for companies they worked with and employees that had a dinner/drinks ending at local restaurant with large patio areas.
They did the summer party until couple of years ago when some of the employees got really, really drunk (it was open bar--a big mistake)...one woman stayed out all night and lot of worry because she didn't go home...then showed up at office looking in bad shape...just really allowed to get out of hand at party because they were lot of younger, unmarried young men who had no self-control re drinking...
So that party was dropped...needless to say...but all the storm und drang could have been avoided if the people who organized it had taken more responsibility about closing the bar and setting standards for the people getting drunk...
It was an embarassment because there were some pretty important vendors/clients/bankers doing business with the company who were there and saw those people getting stupid drunk....not the owner of course...but still created negative. Image/tone...
They were lucky no one was in accident driving home...

Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 PM

30,071 posts, read 47,312,423 times
When I first started teaching, I was single and made friends with some of the other women I taught with--unique situation--most teachers my age were Anglos--older teachers were AA because we were teaching in Houston ISD and that was how the district thought it could "integrate" to some extent and satisfy a court order---integrate the teaching staffs....
I taught there for 5 yrs, married my husband (not a teacher), and we were friends with several couples I met while teaching. Have stayed friends at a distance for more than 40 years...

My husband made some close friends when he was younger through his employment--a couple of them we still stay in touch with but everyone lives in different towns or states and when we see them we always have a good time but they are pretty conservative politically so I don' think we would enjoy a very close relationship....
You can have a good time reconnecting with people for dinner, or over a weekend--but if there are too many differences, they start to grate after a while...

Old 12-15-2015, 12:21 AM

747 posts, read 567,788 times
I went to London after college and got a really interesting job which led to some terrific friendships back in 1980, and we are still in touch. I live in Vegas now and get back to London regularly. I was homesick as hell at the time but these friends made it fun and I cannot ever regret it. We keep in touch by email and FB and get together when we can. How wonderful is that?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,375,850 times
I keep in touch with 5 people from where I retired just over a year ago, 2 of them I speak to at least every 2-4 days. The others, it is nice if you see them now and again somewhere, but do not make an effort to.

Funny thing is I keep up with friends I worked with around the world years and years ago more than the last group I worked with, but we just had/have more in common than most of my coworkers and I did at my last clinic.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM

130 posts, read 101,276 times
Most of my FB contacts are former work friends. I was invited to a retirement party for tomorrow. The last time I was back, which was about three months after I retired, it was also for a retirement party.

I meet for dinner with a few of them every couple of months. It's nice to hear how the place has gone to hell since I retired.

Gee, maybe I really was the backbone of the place. The oil that kept everything going smoothly.

Naaah.

Well, maybe.

Naaah.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:17 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,624,075 times
I see a couple of my former co-workers from time to time, for lunch usually. I haven't attended any of the workplace functions I've been invited to, I left all that behind! And I never had co-workers on my Facebook account so whatever is going on with them is news to me if I hear about it otherwise. Suits me just fine.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM

630 posts, read 402,804 times
my dad died almost 6 years ago. for the 4 or 5 years before he died his fingers were too numb and uncontrollable for him to do facebook or I know he would have. his intention was to continue contact with his friends. they never seemed to want to be around a sick old man, and that broke his heart. so he was stuck with my family, who literally emotionally and physically tortured him for the last few years of his life. my husband, sons and I were the only ones kind to him. I so wish he could have spent time with his work friends after retirement. I so wish he had allowed my husband and myself to take him to live with us where he would have been safe.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
I worked in the same two-person office with a woman for about four years, and she often invited me to family events...and even events at the homes of her friends. After that we took over our bosses position, and I moved to a unit one floor below. We saw less of each other, but were still very friendly. After I left we would exchange email and about six years later I emigrated. After that her emails, and responses to mine, became markedly less frequent.

Eventually they ceased. In the last four years she would tell me briefly about work, but as the scene had changed I knew very, very few of the people there. She ceased to mention her private life at all...most peculiar as I knew her husband and two kids. I was told later that her husband had become seriously and fatally ill, however she separated from. Their kids were married. They had had a live-in cook-maid for decades, and though the woman had intended to retire, she stayed on and took care of the husband until he died.

I have assumed that the break-up of the marriage and the other circumstances were what brought and end to our relationship. But never having heard from her I am not sure if what I have been told is even accurate.

I have one other friend from work with whom I exchange and annual email, or sometimes several.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or