U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:15 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,168,861 times

Advertisements

A calorie does not equal a calorie (sorry, it doesn't).
A dress size no longer equals the same dress size.
If you weigh the same at 60 as you did at 20...for sure it isn't in the same places.
"Model thin" isn't good, even for 18-year-old models.
Sugar in modest amounts isn't bad for you.
Most people do not eat enough protein. Most people eat too many carbs.
Fat is metabolically inert. Translation: eating fat does not make you fat.
It is natural to put on weight after menopause, whether male or female.
It is not natural to be obese, at any age.
Muscle puts weight on you, also - good weight.
In the past, people were more physically active by necessity, but didn't live as long.
How many people here know what body mass index is, and what theirs is?

Just a few things to think about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,076,703 times
You haven't been dieting. You have been starving. It is not specifically the caloric content of your food only, it is the type of food you eat. Follow the National Food Guidelines for your height and gender and you will lose weight. The Food Groups do not include pastries, soda, cake, cookies, and the like so you are safe there. It is okay if you want to eat some cake every week as long as you follow the nutritional guide 99.9% if the time.
Fiber is a dieter's friend. Depending upon your height a good intake is 1500 cals per day of fresh produce, grains, dairy, and protein. Protein does not mean meat.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM

5,178 posts, read 8,706,566 times
Smile Reality Shock

This past Saturday, I received an e-mail saying I was denied for private health insurance. I'm with Blue Cross but for the 2 of us, it's $1481 monthly and I was researching alternatives.

For the first time ever, I saw medical terms I had not seen. I have not been to the doctor since 2011 (I know, bad girl) but take no medications and feel OK. I know I need to lose a lot of pounds; it's from comfort eating but this was a wake up call.

The first item was listed as Chronic Depression. I did look up the symptoms and yes, some apply to me. However, I don't want to be that person and back in October 2011, I was sad. However, I also had hope and tried to take one day at a time. It shocked me - I had never seen this report.

The next couple of items had to do with diet and the effects it could have on me in the future. Shocking.

I got up this past Sunday, just determined to really change. The last time I was an acceptable weight was 2005 at 137 pounds. I'm sad to say I need to lose 50 pounds. It's going to take a long time but I will pull out this report every time I get a feeling to eat the comfort food.

I'm not a good eater but I love the bad stuff and other than on this forum and other forums, no one in my life really talks about it. My sibs are all thin, good looking, fashion conscious, well kept individuals who dress young (but not too young) for their ages. I was always the thin one way back - they attribute the weight gain to what my husband and I have gone through over the past 8-10 years - some on these board know what a beating we've taken and now are working 90 hours a week to claw our way back. It had nothing to do with the economy, however, that was a side item that definitely hurt everyone.

I put on about 5-7 pounds a year and it inched up. My husband is normal weight, not heavy but a careful, good eater. I now am so embarrassed b/c the way I most likely looked to him like wanting a second bowl of ice cream.

I have not had ice cream for 11 days. That's a long time. I started eating yogurt which I really hate but I found Chobani and the non plain milk was awful - it left such a taste I didn't want to eat anything else. I found a Coffee flavor that is not bad. I don't have to wash each bite down with water at least. I do not like fruit and like I said, a terrible eater. No fast food or fried but love carbs which are going away slowly but surely.

I'm setting my expectations a little better now - by April 20th, I want to have 37 pounds off by then and I feel that is realistic.

OP, thanks for this thread; glad I found it. My husband and I are working hard to get our life back; one day at a time.

PS - Like the OP, I am a numbers person. Let's be encouraging to each other!

Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 AM

26,162 posts, read 28,555,015 times
I'm not over 60, but here are my motivations.

--My biggest motivation is to beat the medical system. I HATE what Western Medicine has become. 70% of health care spending is going toward lifestyle related diseases that are mostly or completely preventable. 93% of diabetes, 81% of heart disease, & 36% of cancer cases are completely preventable. They're finding even Alzheimers & dementia are at least partly preventable. I DO NOT want to be dependent on this system at all. Ever. Might not be possible, but I do want to give it my best shot. I definitely do not want the health insurance bean counters or government bureaucrats deciding my fate or getting rich off of me.

Key to Affordable Health Care Revealed

100 Things You Can Do To Prevent Alzheimers and Age Related Memory Loss

--Vanity. I decided when I was 12 I just didn't like the way being fat looked (especially having a pot belly), so I decided I would never let myself get fat. I'm 45 now and have kept that promise to myself. I've never been more than 8 lbs over my ideal weight, and that weight would still be considered normal by most measures, but I know what weight I'm happiest at, and I like being on the thinner side of the scale.

--Feeling superior and wanting to prove myself. I know this is egocentric, but whatever works. Truth be told, we're all a little egocentric. 90% of people think they have above average driving abilities. This can't possibly be true, but why not use this human trait in your favor? The key is you can't just think you're superior, you have to want to prove it, too. Not an ideal motivator, but a good secondary motivator.

I think the whole "workout in a gym" routine just won't work for a lot of people. I find doing a lot of little things consistently works best, such as:

--Walking or biking to do errands whenever possible.
--Parking at the perimeter of a parking lot & walking instead of hunting for the closest space.
--Doing things manually (i.e. opening the garage door yourself instead of using an automatic garage door opener, etc)
--Taking the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator whenever possible.
--I do swim 8 months out of the year because I really like it. But I also think walking is highly underrated. The weather where I live in Northern California is conducive to year 'round outdoor activities, so that helps a lot.
--Eating until you're 80% full instead of 100%
--Reading about the benefits of eating healthy foods. I particularly like the World's Healthiest Foods web site at The World's Healthiest Foods
--I also find that eating the right foods helps keep things working well "down there". I notice the difference when I eat a lot of cheese, or other greasy/fried/processed foods and/or sugar. When I swim regularly and eat whole foods (beans, legumes, broccoli, a glass of red wine, purple grape juice, oatmeal) and reduce or eliminate the bad stuff, uhhh, "it" works better. Eating foods high in fiber also make you feel full faster than junk food does.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you weigh the same at 60 as you did at 20...for sure it isn't in the same places.
How many people here know what body mass index is, and what theirs is?
I am at my HS weight, but the 22" WIDTH is elusive

I drank a lot of beer in HS, not much for last 40 yrs (once I became of legal age).

I would guess most of us know and track our BMI. (and other important numbers)

GOOD Exercise is probably the biggest lack in my health life. Even tho I am typically 'active' / outdoors for 16-20 hrs a day (23hrs this day). I don't get GOOD exercise. I was swimming a mile on my lunch breaks and biking 50 miles 3x / week, but... then I moved and NO POOLS! and 260 days of drizzle / yr dampens my bike enjoyment. (excuses)

I will seek a retirement spot with a 50 m pool! (I dislike ocean and lake swimming) and I will take more bike vacations. Wash DC is a very nice place to bike in Fall and Spring, Colorado is nice for biking in summer.

Diet comes fairly EZ as we eat and entertain on $100 / month for 2 (did the same when we had kids at home). 100 bucks goes into the 'food & recreation envelope' on the first. When it is empty (seldom) we get creative. Plenty of CHEAP produce and salmon. But... it's the Tillamook Ice Cream and cheese that keeps my numbers on the high side. Need to bring down that A1C! (Pre-diabetic). http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-ice-cream.jpg

Our HC was to be $1700 / month, so for the first time, we are without any. (tho using a 'cost sharing' co-op to keep compliant with A(?)CA)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-16-2015 at 03:08 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 AM

362 posts, read 335,505 times
Break the 'diet' cycle by permanently adopting healthier eating habits. Diets are temporary things but lifestyles stay with you. When it becomes something you do as routine, you just do it.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:16 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,407,202 times
At what point do you just say "to heck with it" and enjoy your food? For me, it would probably be in my 60s. Of course, if you have a man you feel you have to look good to retain, that's an added pressure... But life is too short!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM

4,690 posts, read 3,260,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
At what point do you just say "to heck with it" and enjoy your food? For me, it would probably be in my 60s. Of course, if you have a man you feel you have to look good to retain, that's an added pressure... But life is too short!
I think I have done this a couple of times at least. I enjoy food and I do like some foods that are not good for me. There is a side of me that tells me to avoid the "bad" food because I want to remain healthy and I do have a certain amount of vanity. I want to look good.

But then there is another side of me that says, oh who cares? At 73, who's going to care what I look like?

It can be a real tug of war at times. Good or bad??

For me I allow myself something considered bad but I do keep in mind moderation. No need to binge on anything.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,339,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
A calorie does not equal a calorie (sorry, it doesn't).
Fat is metabolically inert. Translation: eating fat does not make you fat.
Sorry, but this is not correct information. Fat undergoes a number of metabolic transformations. Among them: it can be stored in fat cells as triglycerides (which CAN "make you fat[ter]"); it can be used to generate free fatty acids, which muscle and liver cells can use for energy; it can be used to generate glycerol, which the liver uses as one of the substrates to create new glucose -- sugar, in other words. Those are just 3 processes that come to mind immediately. Additionally, certain types of fact, especially belly fat (indicative of visceral fat packed around organs) are highly metabolically active and are actually considered an endocrine organ. This type of fat releases many types of hormones and other signalling molecules. The science of adipose tissue has taken some giant leaps in the last 10-15 years.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 3,884,515 times
Since you are walking anyway, you could try incorporating interval training into the walks. It is the only thing that works for me when my weight creeps up. I'm small boned and a numbers person also because weight gain shows more on me that sturdier built women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement